(08-03-2006) When Pirate Hal Came to Town -- U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://www.u2.com/site_highlights/images/274_main1.jpg[/SIMG]
When Pirate Hal Came to Town

Ed. Note: U2.com has an exclusive interview with Hal Willner, producer of the "Rogue's Gallery" CD inspired by the recent "Pirates of the Caribbean" film and featuring Bono. Members can get the complete interview and listen to Bono performing "Dying Sailor to His Shipmates" here. Snippets are below.

Hear Bono’s version of ‘Dying Sailor to His Shipmates’ and read our interview with Hal Willner, producer of ‘Rogue’s Gallery: Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs and Chanteys’.

When producer Hal Willner is in the studio, you can be guaranteed the results will be ground-breaking. Hal has an unrivalled reputation for putting together tribute albums in musical styles from jazz to rock, as well as making acclaimed records with artists like Marianne Faithful, Bill Frisell and Gavin Friday. And then of course Hal has followed U2 for many years, not least because he has been the music supervisor of Saturday Night Live since 1981.

But the reason we tracked down Hal right now is this – he’s produced the record on which Bono appears next, an astonishing double-album called ‘Rogue’s Gallery: Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs and Chanteys’. Due out August 22nd, it’s a maverick collection filled with contemporary reinterpretations of songs from a genre of music that has all but disappeared – the sea chantey. And it has a dazzling cast-list from Bono and Sting to Nick Cave, Bryan Ferry, Lou Reed, Lucinda Williams, Rufus Wainwright and Richard Thompson.

The idea originated when film director Gore Verbinski and actor Johnny Depp were working on ‘Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest.’ ‘I slowly became fascinated by the idea of a contemporary reinterpretation of the sea chantey,’ recalls Verbinski. ‘I imagined the artists that I listen to and respect doing their take on this age-old music: the song of the sea.’ Verbinski got talking to Brett Gurewitz who owns Epitaph Records and to Depp, a serious rock fan, and they realized that apart from a list of artists to record the songs, they needed a producer. Enter Hal as ‘the captain of this vessel.’

274_main1.jpg

I gave him eight tracks to listen to and he chose ‘Dying Sailor to His Shipmates’ instantly.

How was that recording ?
It went as smooth as can be. Both Gavin and Andrea had recorded their basic tracks first. Gavin did ‘Baltimore Whores’ with the band which was classic Gavin and Andrea recorded ‘Caroline's Young Sailor Bold’ totally acapella. When Bono arrived we played him both Gavin and Andrea's tracks which seemed to inspire him. He asked Maurice Seezer to play a drone on his accordion then took the mic and sang a hair raising and beautiful version of the song that felt like a spiritual from Egypt. That was it - Take 1. He added a harmony to his vocal and said ‘Adieu’. I later had the great Jenny Scheinman add strings to the track with a quartet with an Om Kalsoum ‘Within You Without You’ vibe....

You also worked on the soundtrack to ‘Million Dollar Hotel’: has that album been a little overlooked given the contribution of U2 and Daniel Lanois et al?
It was a wonderful quirky soundtrack to a wonderful quirky film. I wasn't expecting it to be heavily promoted as U2 had their own record coming out shortly thereafter. The U2 tracks on the soundtrack were a great preview to what would be on ‘All That You Can't Leave Behind’. It would be really cool if one day a CD of all the instrumental music recorded for that film came out on it's own, there is a lot of beautiful music from Lanois, Eno, Jon Hassell, Bill Frisell, and more that hasn't been heard. There was only a few of the instrumental tracks on the CD: there are love themes, action themes, anthems - all in storage! Ah, the glory days of true soundtracks are gone!

--U2.com

Sounds a bit like Wild Irish Rose....I wish it was coming out sooner my son is having a Pirates of the Caribbean birthday party a week before. :( That music would be perfect.

^^^ I KNOW! I so want to hear this! Unfortunately, I keep getting this message...

"Sorry, you do not have the correct member status to access this section..."

:down: Rats...

Catman said:
^^^ I KNOW! I so want to hear this! Unfortunately, I keep getting this message...

"Sorry, you do not have the correct member status to access this section..."

:down: Rats...

I should stress that this is hardly a song for a party. This is really a very somber song - similar to some of the JT era b-sides (especially those on "With or Without You"). In other words, think "Walk on the Water" and "Luminous Times", not "Spanish Eyes" or "Sweetest Thing". Bono hums for what seems like the first 2 minutes of the song - the does more humming at the end. The end humming also has this maginificent Bono wail. It's a very haunting and perhaps morose track. Then again, given its theme, it is the perfect tone.

Don't bother posting a link to a popular free file upload website, you U2.com people.

:dance:

doctorwho said:

I should stress that this is hardly a song for a party. This is really a very somber song - similar to some of the JT era b-sides (especially those on "With or Without You"). In other words, think "Walk on the Water" and "Luminous Times", not "Spanish Eyes" or "Sweetest Thing". Bono hums for what seems like the first 2 minutes of the song - the does more humming at the end. The end humming also has this maginificent Bono wail. It's a very haunting and perhaps morose track. Then again, given its theme, it is the perfect tone.

I know, that's exactly what I was hoping for! A very chilled and free-flowing track.

by the way, my e-mail is filmfanatic@gmail.com

...just in case anyone was wondering... and I'm hoping they were :whistle:

Canadiens1160 said:
Don't bother posting a link to a popular free file upload website, you U2.com people.

:dance:

????? That's not very nice! I assume you are referring to me. I was only trying to help. I am a paid u2.com member and thought putting the link in would let others have a listen.

No, I don't think it was meant at anyone nor meant to be insulting. As Canadiens doesn't have a U2.com membership, the hope was one of us would convert the file to mp3 and upload it somewhere. However, as this is a legitimate release, I don't think we can do so and post that here. But maybe an e-mail might pop Canadiens' way. :sexywink:

doctorwho said:
No, I don't think it was meant at anyone nor meant to be insulting. As Canadiens doesn't have a U2.com membership, the hope was one of us would convert the file to mp3 and upload it somewhere. However, as this is a legitimate release, I don't think we can do so and post that here. But maybe an e-mail might pop Canadiens' way. :sexywink:

:ohmy: convert the file to mp3 and upload it somewhere. That is talking a foreign language to me. Sorry!

ME2U2 said:

:ohmy: convert the file to mp3 and upload it somewhere. That is talking a foreign language to me. Sorry!

But surely you've heard of the U2-themed iPod, right? It's everywhere! The iPod plays mp3 files. So one just has to convert the song from u2.com into an mp3. Then just upload it onto a website that allows for downloads. If you've ever downloaded a file (clicked on a link to hear a song or watch a video and then stored that file to your computer), uploading is just the reverse. You are the person putting that picture, song or video file or text or whatever onto a website. Make sense?

Now, I won't go into how to convert the song into an mp3 file. That does require a few extra programs. ;)

Back
Top Bottom