(08-02-2005) Bono Back in the Nobel Race -- Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Bono Back in the Nobel Race

According to Reuters, Bono is once again on the list of nominees for the Nobel Peace Prize, earning the distinction for his work to ease Third World poverty. Earlier reports included Bob Gelof on the nominee list as well.

One-hundred-ninety-nine people are in the running for the prize that will be awared in October. In addition to the honor, the winner receives $1.3 million.

Sadly I don't know enough of this prize other than the prestige surrounding it. Isn't this like his 3rd nomination now within the past several years? If so, who did he "lose" to those other times?

Lemon Grrrrrl said:
Can'tr jtpye too -gpood right now - fingerds crodssed for BVono!!!!

Good luck Bono! 3rd time's a charm! (Is there a fingers crossed smilie so I don't have to do it myself????)
:cute: :up:

I'm sure whomever they choose to give the prize will be more than deserving. There are a lot of people out there who do wonderful work without the accolades.

Now some of you will flame me....but if they give Bono that prize....they might as well shut down that institution now and forever.

what the hell are you talking about...
There's no assholes in that institution, they now the value of each nomination
But Bono's done more than everyone, in terms of results
With the latest Live 8, millions will be benefited thanks from his vision, his tenacity, his determination, his inteligence

In 50 years, Africa could achive some degree of development, but they will always remember this first step Bono took

'These are the brains that built Africa' will be sang somewhere in 2050

uh, there are a lot of do-gooders in the world

bono should just be happy about being nominated

if he wins, great

if he loses, i don't really care. he's not doing it for the awards. and if he loses , then the person(s) in front of him have done a lot of good too.

Moonlit_Angel said:
I'm definitely rooting for Bono-congrats on the nomination, hope he does win :) :up:.

But I definitely applaud the other nominees, too, and if one of them wins, my congrats to them, too. Anyone who is doing good work in this world should be commended :yes: :up:.

Angela

I totally agree. I hope Bono wins one day--I think it would be inspirational to his fans, especially those who have been encouraged to do good works because of his example. But you are right, Angela--anyone who wins deserves a round of applause. I remember reading about last year's winner and her story was amazing. And I was very happy when Jimmy Carter won a few years ago.

**crossing fingers for B**

show me some numbers or some kind of proof that make you disagree....
Consider Bono's call for peace since the early 80's and all his work in Africa since 85'

Nube Gris said:
show me some numbers or some kind of proof that make you disagree....
Consider Bono's call for peace since the early 80's and all his work in Africa since 85'

You're the one who wants him to receive the Nobel Peace Prize. The burden of proof lies with you.

Of course i want him to recieve it....and he sureley deserves it
If not he wouldn't be nominated, think a bit

So if he wins it, what are you gonna say? That he didn't deserve it?
Of course he does, and you know it...

But come on, show me some results that make you disagree......
The thing is you don't have them, you don't even know the people nominated

Nube Gris said:
Of course i want him to recieve it....and he sureley deserves it
If not he wouldn't be nominated, think a bit

Now YOU think a bit - does a person have to agree on every single nomination?

So if he wins it, what are you gonna say? That he didn't deserve it?
Of course he does, and you know it...

That is what I would call weak, very weak argumentation.

But come on, show me some results that make you disagree......
The thing is you don't have them, you don't even know the people nominated

It's funny how much you seem to know about me. As I said, you're the one who should show the results. Don't accuse me of not having them, when you're the one who should.

You are the one who disagrees, the one who said there are people who deserve the Nobel more than Bono

Just tell me who. Thats all i'm asking for
Tell me who does deserve the Nobel more than Bono
Come on!

Nube Gris said:
You are the one who disagrees, the one who said there are people who deserve the Nobel more than Bono

Just tell me who. Thats all i'm asking for
Tell me who does deserve the Nobel more than Bono
Come on!

I didn't hear a single argument in favour of handing the award to Bono in this statement.

Hey... just name the one(s) who deserve the award more than Bono!
Thats all
YOU SAID you didn't agree that Bono deserved the Nobel more than anyone
So....name a few who deserve the Nobel above Bono
1. Name of the nominee
2. Work and results

Then we can start another debate

Nube Gris said:
Hey... just name the one(s) who deserve the award more than Bono!
Thats all
YOU SAID you didn't agree that Bono deserved the Nobel more than anyone
So....name a few who deserve the Nobel above Bono
1. Name of the nominee
2. Work and results

Then we can start another debate

If you really think that Bono deserves the Nobel Peace Prize more than anyone, it shouldn't be too hard to come up with just a few arguments why. We shouldn't start "another debate" - let's stick to the subject - it starts with a B.

U2 man, you haven't pointed out one single Nobel Peace Price nominee that deserved(in your opinion) the award more than Bono
Your "I disagree" comment is incomplete
Say why.....why you disagree.
Are there people who deserve the award more than Bono?
O.k say who
Are there some better results achieved by someone in world peace?
O.k show them

Still waiting for your answer

Well, as regards a person who deserves the award right now more than Bono does...taking a look at that list, I find it nothing short of criminal that Vaclev Havel has not won the Prize. It seems every major activist "star" over the last 40 yrs that was a houseold name at the time of their activities has won, from MLK and Desmond Tutu to Jimmy Carter to Gorbachev, the Dalai Lama, etc. But come on....how can Lech Walesa win the Prize in 1983, less than 3 years after he began his protests, while Havel had been rotting in a jail in Chekoslovakia for several yrs by then. He suffered far worse tnan Walese, and like him, led his country to freedom from the very same Communist yoke. I've read his"Letters to Olga" (his wife), and believe me, he suffered as much as Mandela in prison, at some points. If we are prepared to give the prize to such shysters as Henry Kissinger, than we can surely give it to those quieter individuals who suffer silently and desrve it all the more.

Regarding Bono...I see one of the modern winners listed as "architect, sculptor, and human rights activist." A sculptor is an artist, right? So this blows a hole in the theory about there being a barrier for Bono simply b/c he is a rock star. Why can't we have a winner listed as "rock musician, human rights activist"?

I think, though, that political leaders get the prize sooner than non-political figures, because being a politican gives them gravitas and they are seen as being "experienced." I guess. They're a higher status on the international food chain, more ready for earlier recognition. Whereas someone like Bono or the Dalai Lama has to slowly work his way upward. So I imagine in aobut 15 yrs time, when DATA's impact--and his own legacy--has had time to grow, they will be more ready to award him for being an inpirational figure for a lifetime of work.

Last edited:
Bono will never win the Nobel directly. But it might be possible undirectly through DATA.

Back
Top Bottom