(07-30-2004) Vertigo Artwork Hoax -- hotpress.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Vertigo Artwork Hoax

The professional looking "Vertigo" album cover that's made its way on to the 'net has been confirmed as a hoax.

"A lot of work appears to have gone into it," says a U2 source, "but it doesn't have anything to do with the band or the people who do their artwork, Four 5 One. The fact of the matter is that neither the title nor the cover has been decided on yet."

--hotpress.com

trabantland said:
Professional looking my A%^E!

That's crap! Who would fall for that one considering the band have been on the front of every cover except for Zooropa!

and except for the original "Boy" and "War" and the two "Best Of" CD's... and they are just barely visible on the UF cover, but who's counting? ;)

u2ulysses said:

and except for the original "Boy" and "War" and the two "Best Of" CD's... and they are just barely visible on the UF cover, but who's counting? ;)

Ooops, good point!

But it if that is indeed the so-called hoax, as stammer476 pointed out to me, "adobe photoshop elements + computer does not equal artwork".

trabantland said:
But it if that is indeed the so-called hoax, as stammer476 pointed out to me, "adobe photoshop elements + computer does not equal artwork".
:laugh: Very true! I have ZERO computer skills, yet I could have done that with any of the ATYCLB symbols myself!

. said:
Who started the Vertigo rumor anyway?

The rumor started a little while back when some fan sites were reporting that DigiCC (Sebastian Clayton's company and U2.com's Web master) had registered some sights with Vertigo in the domain name. After news broke of the U2 CD being lost/stolen/whatever, several articles appeared touting "Vertigo" as the name of the album.

Am I the only one who hopes the band isn't featured on the cover? It's just sooooo boring...how many poses can they really be expected to strike? I hope they go with some interesting art.

The rumor started a little while back when some fan sites were reporting that DigiCC (Sebastian Clayton's company and U2.com's Web master) had registered some sights with Vertigo in the domain name.

If you go to govertigo.com, you get a message that says "THIS IS IT. GOVERTIGO.COM"

Very interesting...

Anyone else realize that this "Vertigo" rumor is just going to hurt the band in the long run?

Say the album is NOT titled Vertigo. If people read the news that says "the upcoming U2 album, titled Vertigo..." and are just casual fans, they'll go into a music store once it's out, look in the U2 section for something called Vertigo, see it's not there, and leave. That's a sale that was just lost.

This could hurt sales.

Yeah, that is too bad about the sales.
But i actually like the fake cover. But that's just me.
It's funny, just today, at my granma's house, i asked my grandma about a lovely pink and yellow rose and she said it was called a Love and Peace rose. then i remembered that, i think, 1 rumor about the album was that it included a song called "Love and Peace (or else)" (someone correct me if i'm mistaken.) but i thought, IF that is a song on the new album, and they havent decided on a title or art for it yet, maybe they could call it "Love and Peace (or Else)" and put a Love and Peace rose on the cover (or include the rose somehow.) Just a thought.
Any reactions?

That fake cover just blew up one of the symbols from ATYCLB(Grace), so yeah, I like it. But only for that song, on that album. Like others have mentioned, anyone who has PhotoShop or something similar could have done that.

I don't think the album's rumored name will hurt sales, if it doesn't turn out to be the truth. I'm sure the title will be all over the place by the time it's released. And casual U2 fans probably don't even realize that an album has been in the works.

I think it looks quite possible actually
i've already ordered the album and the money has come out of my account!!!:mad:

valentina said:
The pic looks like a phoenix to me!

Talking about covers, is it true that the American version of Boy hadn't got Peter Rowen on the cover?

Yes. It had picture of the band's faces, apparently they were afraid of pedophilia (spelling?) allegations.

DaveC: that may be, but if they don't find "Vertigo", they can browse through all U2 albums under U2 section and still find, um, whatever it is it will be called. Or they can simply ask the employee in the store; I know I have often looked for a CD, didn't find it, asked the employee and he found it for me.

trabantland said:
Professional looking my A%^E!

That's crap! Who would fall for that one considering the band have been on the front of every cover except for Zooropa!

Yeah...I could have told you it was fake from the start. Very amateurish, and the shading on that 3D logo looks like it came straight out of 1990.

Melon

valentina said:
Talking about covers, is it true that the American version of Boy hadn't got Peter Rowen on the cover?

I bought a vinyl copy of "Boy" in the UK with the Peter Rowen cover. I like how it rounds off my very humble collection.

Melon

aww that is sad, but there are a lot of hoaxes going around in regards of the new album. I am sure whatever u2 decide for an album cover and even if not, it is the music that counts in the end.

Back
Top Bottom