(07-29-2004) Argentina Defends Debt Offer with Help from Friends -- AFP*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Argentina Defends Debt Offer with Help from Friends Bono, Garcia Marquez

NEW YORK (AFP) - Rock star Bono and Nobel literature laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez were among celebrities who signed a statement defending Argentina's debt restructuring offer that appeared in US papers.

"Argentina, a responsible country, a responsible proposal" proclaimed the quarter-page advertisement appearing in the North American editions of The New York Times and the Financial Times, and signed by U2 frontman Bono, Garcia Marquez, and former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachov, among others.

"Any increase in the fiscal effort would ignore the Argentine social reality" of 50 percent of the population living in poverty and 15 percent unemployed, it said.

"Argentina's sincere and realistic proposal to creditors should be understood within this context, taking into account the historic perspective of a developing country and its inhabitants' social reality."

Other signers include ex-presidents of Ireland, Mary Robinson; of Uruguay, Julio Sanguinetti; Nicaragua, Violetta Barrios de Chamorro; and Turkey, Suleyman Demirel; actors Emma Thompson and Viggo Mortensen; Nobel prize winning South African writer Nadine Gordimer; and world chess champion Anatoly Karpov.

The announcement appeared as Argentina negotiated a third review of a "stand-by" agreement with with the IMF, under pressure from the financial community to resolve the defaulted debt worth more than 100 billion dollars.

One condition of the IMF program is that Argentina engage in negotiations with holders of its defaulted bonds. Creditors have rejected Argentina's offer to pay one quarter of the face value.

BONO - :applaud:

Thanks for always remembering and fighting for the poorest and most dispossessed people in our world.:angel: :up:

It's not what you're dreaming, it's what you're gonna do....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;) :hug:

I'm impressed oh how easily Bono jumps from one place to the other!

Great Energy, B-man!!

I'm not Rockfeller,
I lost several thousand Euros in Argentina's National Bonds.

It's too easy the proposal of 1/4 of their face value.

Sorry but I just want my money back.

cybersyd said:
I'm not Rockfeller,
I lost several thousand Euros in Argentina's National Bonds.

It's too easy the proposal of 1/4 of their face value.

Sorry but I just want my money back.

:(
Hope you didn't loose too much. I know that was a terrible crack.
So sorry for you and all the people who went under it.

thanx Vale!

I supposed of being flamed for my rant.

I know that Argentinians are in a very delicate economic and social situation... ...and I pray that they could solve it... ...but what leaves a bad taste in my mouth is that while 99,99% of the population are paying way too much for the mistakes of few persons, I really believe that someone has flown away with pockets full of dollars.

As an Italian I feel a very strong link to a country where many persons are Italian immigrants. And that was the main force behind my decision to invest in that country.

Maybe Argentina's government can swap my credit with a lifelong "two-week in the summer" free stay in Argentina.

I'm not joking. Argentina is one of the most beautiful countries in the world and sooner or later I'll go there!

cybersyd said:
thanx Vale!

I supposed of being flamed for my rant.

I know that Argentinians are in a very delicate economic and social situation... ...and I pray that they could solve it... ...but what leaves a bad taste in my mouth is that while 99,99% of the population are paying way too much for the mistakes of few persons, I really believe that someone has flown away with pockets full of dollars.

As an Italian I feel a very strong link to a country where many persons are Italian immigrants. And that was the main force behind my decision to invest in that country.

Maybe Argentina's government can swap my credit with a lifelong "two-week in the summer" free stay in Argentina.

I'm not joking. Argentina is one of the most beautiful countries in the world and sooner or later I'll go there!

I'm sorry to hear you lost money thanks to the bunch of stupid politicians we have.

I feel very close to Italy too because I'm Argentinian-Italian myself ( I have both passports since my grandparents are Italian). We have received help fromy our country in the past and I don't think we have reciprocated it in a proper way.

It's so depressing to think that we have all means to be a great country and don't know how to achieve that because we are always thinking as individuals and not as a community.

LoL to both of you.

I'm Italian, but I was lucky because I didn't get involved in Argentinian crack.

It's absurd that nowadays we're still living and giving power to people that just think about their own interests and profits (and Italy knows it very well...)

Wish you the best

Am i the only one that thinks that Bono is getting out of hand?

He should stick to AIDS causes and human rights. Now he's fighting the IMF and private investors?

Don't get me wrong, they're all good causes, but even for me as a huge U2 fan, I find myself listening to "BONO" news and I can't help rolling my eyes....

I can only imagine what non U2 fans are saying.

Back
Top Bottom