(07-28-2004) Bono Performs for Kennedy in Boston - Boston Globe*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040728/capt.mack10507280335.dnc_convention_kennedy_mack105.jpg[/SIMG]
Bono Performs for Kennedy in Boston, Says U2 in Boston 2005

Ed. note: Below is a snippet from an article that appeared in the Boston Globe today about Bono's performance at Ted Kennedy's honor ceremony. We've also been told that Bono announced to the audience that U2 would be starting their tour in Boston in 2005 instead of the previously reported Miami in 2005.

Celebrities serenade Kennedy with style
By Richard Dyer, Globe Staff

Backed by in-the-groove arrangements by Pat Hollenbeck, Bono sang "Pride (In the Name of Love)" with special lyrics written for the occasion ("Three brothers paid with their lives") and his voice fearlessly attacked more high A's than many a tenor would care to calculate. He also duetted with Ma in "The Hands That Built America" -- both of them offering beautiful legato, and lots of soul.

capt.mack10507280335.dnc_convention_kennedy_mack105.jpg

Singer Bono pumps his fist while performing with the Boston Pops for a celebration for U.S. Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., at Symphony Hall in Boston, Tuesday evening July 27, 2004. At rear is conductor John Williams. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa)

For more photos, visit:
http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news/?c=news_photos&p=Bono

? Copyright 2004 Globe Newspaper Company.

To read the rest of the article, please visit:
http://www.boston.com/ae/music/articles/2004/07/28/celebrities_serenade_kennedy_with_style/

Thanks to Debbie!

Last edited:
I guess if the B-man was going to participate in this event, he might as well give it ALL he had - and he did. :wink:

Bono and YoYo Ma - that's a combination of musical influences I'd like to hear again.:wink:

I'm really glad that Bono followed his heart and did what he felt was right for him to do.:yes: :up:

I know I don't ever want to become one of the dozens of people he probably has in his life that are ALWAYS trying to tell him what to do.

Bono has an inner sense - "a moral barometer" as Dr. King used to say - that ultimately guides him to do the right thing if he is left alone to follow that inner voice.:angel:

GO ON, BONO - KEEP FOLLOWING YOUR HEART AND SOUL. :bono: :heart: :heart: :hug: :wave:

This sounds fantastic.

Bono backed by John Williams and the Yo Yo Ma???

I typically do not like mixed genre music, bu this sounds amazing...

ouizy said:
This sounds fantastic.

Bono backed by John Williams and the Yo Yo Ma???

I typically do not like mixed genre music, bu this sounds amazing...

:yes:

If Bono's voice is as great these days as the writer claims, we are going to have a real treat when the new album comes out. :drool: :drool: :drool:

:wink: :yes: :applaud: :up: Alright!!! Bono, boston Pops & yo-yo Ma!! Brilliant-too bad I missed it! But then, it does look like I am going to Boston!! And not for a convention!!! ha=lol!1 YES!! Too Cool-i guess I better 'gear up' for cold weather then-don't have snow around these parts-florida!! heee yeah..

Mango said:
Ted Kennedy:mad:

Ted Kennedy :drool:

Before you complain about some nonsense that happened in the 70's, take a GOOD look at what Kennedy has done in the Senate. He has an outstanding voting record and has pioneered some of the Senate's greatest accomplishments. While he is definitely a liberal, he is heavily respected by both Democrats AND Republicans as Kennedy can easily go past partisan lines to get things accomplished. He readily deserves the praise he receives - including that from Bono. If only W. had Kennedy's talent, skills and wisdom, I wouldn't fear another 4 years of that man in office.

i want to hear those two songs he performed, especially with Yo Yo Ma. Would definetly be something different. I'm Glad their opening up the tour in Boston, good town to do it in, that also means their coming to DC sooner! :wink:

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I did see a short clip and, frankly, it worries me.

I think it's mainly the choice of "Pride" as the song. In the clip from the convention, Bono struggles in a big way to hit the notes during the chorus.

Maybe it's rust from not singing. Maybe his voice hurts from TOO MUCH singing while completing the album.

But in my opinion, even though it's a fan favorite, "Pride" shouldn't be played anymore. It's out of his vocal range these days and I wish they'd give the slot it usually gets in the setlist to a different song.

This way, we get to hear a new song we don't normally get every night, plus we don't have to watch the Bonoman struggle to hit those high notes.

u2ulysses said:

Ted Kennedy :drool:

Before you complain about some nonsense that happened in the 70's, take a GOOD look at what Kennedy has done in the Senate. He has an outstanding voting record and has pioneered some of the Senate's greatest accomplishments. While he is definitely a liberal, he is heavily respected by both Democrats AND Republicans as Kennedy can easily go past partisan lines to get things accomplished. He readily deserves the praise he receives - including that from Bono. If only W. had Kennedy's talent, skills and wisdom, I wouldn't fear another 4 years of that man in office.

Can I get an AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go Bono, Go Ted!

If you want to call the death of Mary Jo Kopechne due to the irresponsibilty and uncaring of Ted Kennedy "some nonsense", at least get the year right. It was 1969, not the 70's. Peronally, I don't agree with most of what he's done in the Senate.

What do you call the death of Michael Douglas (no, not that one) due to the irresponsibility of Laura Bush?

RocknRollKitty said:
Kennedy leaving the woman underwater to die in Chappaquiddick is the same as the lady who ran over the homeless guy and was too 'shocked and upset' to call for help for him until he died in the windshield. She got 50 years. Ted walks free and gets 'honored.'

Ted was not honored for what happened at Chappaquiddick - he was honored for what he accomplished during the next 35 years. Ted has to live with what happened and God will judge accordingly.

Anyone else wouldn't have had those 35 years. They'd have been in jail because they weren't a Kennedy.

I find it kind of disturbing, even chilling, that people seem not to care about this as long as he votes the way they like in congress (talking about other threads too) :|

Last edited:
RocknRollKitty said:
Anyone else wouldn't have had those 35 years. They'd have been in jail because they weren't a Kennedy.

I find it kind of disturbing, even chilling, that people seem not to care about this as long as he votes the way they like in congress (talking about other threads too) :|

I think it's disturbing, even chilling that you seem to know all about it and judge me as someone that doesn't care because I believe what happened was a tragic accident. I've said before that I can't defend his initial reaction to the accident. By not reporting it immediately, he behaved shamefully. It doesn't mean that he intentionally hurt her. He has to live with what he did.

I believe that 42 years of service to our country can be acknowledged. He has done more than voted the way we like, he has brought in legislation for us to like and vote on.

BostonAnne said:

I think it's disturbing, even chilling that you seem to know all about it and judge me as someone that doesn't care because I believe what happened was a tragic accident. I've said before that I can't defend his initial reaction to the accident. By not reporting it immediately, he behaved shamefully. It doesn't mean that he intentionally hurt her.

Exactly. Ditto the lady who accidently hit the homeless man and was too afraid to act in time to save him. She still got 50 years in prison.

Also, if someone's decision making under pressure is that inept, they have no business being in a leadership position.

He has to live with what he did.

If I thought for a moment it bothered him, that might mean something:|

RocknRollKitty said:

Exactly. Ditto the lady who accidently hit the homeless man and was too afraid to act in time to save him. She still got 50 years in prison.

Please link me to the story of the lady accidently hitting the homeless man. Was that more recent?

RocknRollKitty said:

Also, if someone's decision making under pressure is that inept, they have no business being in a leadership position.

That's why Ted Kennedy never progressed to being President.

RocknRollKitty said:

What makes you sure that it doesn't bothers him?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/e1698.htm

It was an accident. I don't hold it against Laura any more than I hold Ted's accident against him. It doesn't make the victims any more or less dead. As BosonAnne has been saying, it's something they will both have to live with for the rest of their lives. Obviously they've had to come to terms with their share of the tragedies they caused. We can judge them solely upon those singular events decades ago, or we can look at the lives they've led in the years since.

RocknRollKitty said:

The point is TK's accomplishments in 35 years of service, accomplishments that have helped many less fortunate and reflect the values of Bono and the band. That's why he was there for the Ted tribute. You can't dispute this connection so you just go back as all right wing attackers do and push Chappaquidick. I don't attack W for his personal indiscretions but for his policies, but I wonder why W's drunk driving incident isn't important to you.

Back
Top Bottom