(07-27-2004) Cracking The Case of the Stolen U2 CD - Chart Attack*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Cracking The Case of the Stolen U2 CD

By: ChartAttack.com Staff

Is it at all possible that this whole mysteriously stolen U2 CD incident is simply a publicity hoax perpetrated by the artists themselves? Of course, we'd never suggest such a thing, but Bono?s recent statement that the band may release the entire album on iTunes immediately if the songs were to turn up seems to make the whole situation a bit more suspect. Let?s don our replica Sherlock Holmes outfits and investigate this further, shall we?

The album is officially set for a November release, a very calculated plan in and of itself as it creates a huge Christmas rush market on top of the normal drones still aching for a proper follow-up to The Joshua Tree. However, as we?ve previously mentioned, The Edge?s carelessness led to the theft of a CD containing every last track. Ready your magnifying glasses my young apprentices. The band was in France shooting photos for sleeve art on the album and yet, for some reason, felt it prudent to bring along this highly important, much anticipated album seemingly just because. Immediately, the album, which had not been receiving very much press since its initial conceptualization, was the topic of conversation everywhere.

Here?s where we thoughtfully pause and blow some soapy bubbles from our plastic pipes.

Now Bono and the boys have publicly stated that if the songs begin to surface on the Internet, they will unfortunately be forced to release the album immediately on Apple?s iTunes. Unfortunate indeed. In doing so, U2 will be making an unprecedented move in the music industry as a band of international stature rushing their release in a digital format because of piracy fears. Not only will they have their name in the headlines for that oh so bold move, but their album will be available virtually everywhere.

Of course, couple this with the fact that the band can then still release the infamous album, expected to be titled Vertigo, in a pretty jewel case with pretty photos and a pretty CD in November.

Cue the air violins, I think we?ve almost cracked this dubious case.

With Bono often seen traipsing about the countryside, holding hands with politicians and spewing political jargon, all this new controversy has put the focus completely on the new album and its music, seemingly divorcing Bono the politician from Bono the musician. Much like Macphisto and the Fly, the two are completely different people, which can only help U2?s sales.

See, Janet Jackson didn?t really think things through that clearly. "Need publicity," she grunted to herself. "Show boob." For U2, generating massive amounts of publicity is? well, elementary.

?David Missio

http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2004/07/2702.cfm

The article failed to mention that the French police are involved in this case.
I highly doubt Bono is going to involve
the police in a hoax for publicity.

I actually thought about this when I first heard about the stolen CD also. Think about it, there has been some type of fairly high profile media driven leak before most of the U2 albums since Actung Baby. I think the Achtung Baby demos getting out was definately an accident. But U2 also saw that it drew ALOT of publicity for a band that had been out of the world eye for quite some time. Then for POP we have the internet snippet of Discotheque that leaked early generating news on MTV. The ATYCLB snippets all mysteriously showed up as downloadable also prior to that album. Conspiracy theory, probebly not in reality. But there seems to be alot of similiar activity right before a U2 album is due. Dont you think with the high level professionals that work with U2, they would be able to keep a lid on this activity?

Personally, I dont think the CD was stolen. I think it probebly just got missplaced and was thrown in the trash or something. While it may have actually turned up missing, U2 has no problem turning up the publicity on it going missing either. It does put a "hint" of doubdt in my mind.

Last edited:
Whatever. They had a boombox with them in the Portugal swimming pool shoots, too. They apparently like to have the music with them during photo shoots, probably to get the right mood. They didn't have it with them "just because." And it hasn't gotten much publicity at all. The only places where I've seen anything about it are U2 sites. No MTV News, no celebrity news shows, nothing.

And to all you conspiracy theorists: It's no secret that a liar won't believe anyone else.

Rachel D. said:
Whatever. They had a boombox with them in the Portugal swimming pool shoots, too. They apparently like to have the music with them during photo shoots, probably to get the right mood. They didn't have it with them "just because." And it hasn't gotten much publicity at all. The only places where I've seen anything about it are U2 sites. No MTV News, no celebrity news shows, nothing.

And to all you conspiracy theorists: It's no secret that a liar won't believe anyone else.

Hmm, I have seen articles all over the place on this and most are not U2 fan sites.

I had a friend that knows nothing about U2 come up to me at work and asked me if I heard their CD was stolen. Its getting some publicity somewhere!!!! LOL His first reaction to me was, sounds like a publicity stunt.

Hey, I said it probebly wasnt a stunt, I'am just saying its not the first time this has happened to U2 and that they certainly are not downplaying it. I think the thing just got lost or missplaced.

Last edited:
I think your wrong. The only places ive seen the news about the u2 stolen cd was on the u2 fan sites. I've seen short articles in yahoo that didnt even make it to the front page and i have yet to hear someone mention it on TV. I watch alot of CNN and as well as much music and as far i have not heard NOTHING on those areas. I recieve the toronto star and check out the enterteinment section and nothing about the U2 stolen cd. Your friend must be a U2 fan or maybe by chance he/she came across one of the short articles on the net like in yahoo which only lasted about 2 days. So unless you are a fan of U2 I doubt that there are many people out there that even know that the cd is stolen heck I doubt there are many people outside of the harder u2 fans that even know when a new u2 album will be released. I find it shamefull that people think that this is a publicity stunt. A band like U2 whome is perhaps the worlds most famouse bands and has the worlds best music would never step down to the level where they have to do these stunts just to generate publicity. Why can't people just have some respect for U2 and believe their story? Gee!

Very poorly writen indeed. Its actualy disgusting that people might even consider this to be a publicity stunt! And unfortunatly on this fan site there appers to be quite a few who believe its a stunt. And they call themselves true fans!

Keocmb said:
Poorly written article. :down:

:tsk: Sick of this being an issue.

dabiggestu2fan said:
Very poorly writen indeed. Its actualy disgusting that people might even consider this to be a publicity stunt! And unfortunatly on this fan site there appers to be quite a few who believe its a stunt. And they call themselves true fans!

Oh come on. We're all entitled to our own opinions, aren't we?

RockNRollDawgie said:

That's the point.
And, moreover, it's a crime to involve police in something wrong.

It's a strange situation, but I believe U2 are not playing tricks.

RockNRollDawgie said:

A few weeks ago, there was this huge outrage in France. It seemed as if a woman suffered from an anti-Semitic attack, with the attackers carving a swastika on her belly, while she was sitting in a train. There were huge protests in the streets and also PM Jacques Chirac showed his disgust in the attack.
In the end, however, it came out that the woman falsely claimed this attack, that she'd done it all to herself. She wanted to have some attention. So again, there was a huge outrage, but this time at her making up the story. She was also charged for making a false claim to the police.
This week, she was tried in court. The verdict? Four months probational (and a symbolic fine of 1 euro to the French railways).

Now, this may not seem a very harsh punishment (as there is no actual jail-time and a low fine), but it does show that there are repurcussions for making a false claim to the police. I think the judge also counted in the fact that she was maybe not in the most stable mental condition, craving for attention. However, I don't know if it is the same when a group consciously does the same (making a false claim) to 'advance' their economic prosperity. Should this be the case, then I think the punishment would be much less advantageous to U2.

Oh, and another thing. Many here are saying that it's all one big publicity stunt. While it does give the group some publicity, it's not helping them sell more records. It is not promotion. Maybe more people will know that U2 will release a record later this year, how many will buy it based on this information. I think it's far more effective when it follows the 'conventional' promotion schedule. Hearing a new song on the radio, or seeing its video on TV, will have a bigger impact. Not only do you realise that U2 will have a new album out, you also hear what it sounds like. If you like it, you might go out and buy it. Only hearing about a stolen CD will not encourage many people to buy the record. How many of you have bought the latest Janet Jackson record because of the boob incident?

C ya!

Marty

Popmartjin made the point

I heard the story of the girl, me too and I couldn't believe someone capable to do such a terrible claim just to have attention on herself!

Marty is right: if U2 did this for pubblicity, and police would get it out, they'll have to face big troubles -- and I don't think they're looking for this kind of things!

youre funny

dabiggestu2fan said:
And they call themselves true fans!

true fans who can objectively look at a situation?

it is wrong to conclude this is a publicity stunt.
it is wrong to conclude this is a verifiable theft.

all we know is what we have been told-not what happened. yes a french paper named a french detective. but that does not verify his involvement. if you believe this is not a publicity stunt because it would involve a global U2 controlled conspiracy, you are mistaken-it would be quite simple.

the truth is we just dont know. i dont mean to quell discussion, but to react with vitriol towards others is silly.

I tend to think that if it were stolen and someone wanted to release MP3s, they would have done so by now.

So either it was never stolen at all or someone relishes the fact of having a CD of all the songs months before everyone else for no one else to hear.

Melon

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I had a co-worker who never hears U2 news unless it comes from me ask if I had stolen the new U2 cd. :laugh: So yeah, it's apparently all over.

Oh, I thought it was my sister!
She was in Nice that day and I thought she wanted to get me something for my birthday (even if my birthday is in November...)

whether the french police are involved or not, i have believed in the back of my head that it is a publicity stunt. It seems that with almost every album release, something goes missing. Now I am sure the boys in U2 or not that careless to be leaving piece of work behind during some of their later recordings.

whether the French police are involved or not, i believe in the back of my head that it is a publicity stunt. There is nothing wrong with promotion, whatever works.

It seems that with almost every album release, something goes missing. Now I am sure the boys in U2 are not that careless to be leaving pieces of work behind.

On a side note, at least it wasn't Bono this time.

Does anyone here read Rolling Stone or say, Entertainment weekly? The 'stolen' CD gossip is out there for the public- NOT just on the U2 fan sites.

Oh yeah..I think it's great that we are not all like minded on this issue. We are all free thinkers & without differences we wouldn't have anything to discuss. :wink:

Also, we are all fans & we agree at least that we care about one thing- THE MUSIC! :wink:

c'mon folks, we're talking about france here; they have no police, crime is tolerated and theives are allow to take what they need on thursdays.

Paliughi said:
c'mon folks, we're talking about france here; they have no police, crime is tolerated and theives are allow to take what they need on thursdays.

I thought they were up to Thursdays and Fridays??
I must admit it is rather odd nothing has shown up online. Then again, I'm one of those who can never get enough and doesn't have a problem downloading anything as long as I buy the album when it officially comes out.

BonoU2Vox said:

I thought they were up to Thursdays and Fridays??
I must admit it is rather odd nothing has shown up online. Then again, I'm one of those who can never get enough and doesn't have a problem downloading anything as long as I buy the album when it officially comes out.

I've been in France several times...But no one ever told me about that!
I must change the people I know there!

ya, this u2 stolen CD news is all over the place, I saw it in a bunch of articles as well as TV. The article wasnt that bad, the author was just trying to have some fun with the topic, as many of us are. But the whole "waiting for a proper follow-up to Joshua Tree", what was that about? Achtung Baby is the greatest CD of all time man.

Back
Top Bottom