(07-26-2006) Dashboard Talks U2 -- Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Dashboard Talks U2

In advance of the band's performance Monday at the Orpheum Theater in Minneapolis, Dashboard Confessional leader Chris Carrabba spoke to the St. Paul Pioneer Press about his band's new album and how touring with U2 has made a lasting impression.

While that may sound like typical rock-star posturing, Carrabba's new album, "Dusk and Summer," suggests otherwise. It's filled from top to bottom with stadium-rattling anthems that threaten to make Dashboard Confessional the U2 of the 21st century. Carrabba's probably holding on to this mystery song because "Dusk and Summer" already has a half-dozen tracks that sound like hit singles.

Carrabba admits he picked up a few cues from U2 after opening for the Irish rockers last fall, including a September date at Target Center.

"We were already huge U2 fans, and their (musical) influence is evident. Whatever we're taking from them as songwriters, we took already. Clearly, my vocal style is influenced by Bono. They plowed a path for everybody else.

"What I took from (the tour) was more about the spectacle of U2. They had such an impressive light show. I took cues from that, because that's where I want my show to go. I always thought light shows were a big, old-fashioned, dinosaur rock thing that never seemed to embrace the audience. (But with U2), it made the audience feel closer to them."

As such, Dashboard Confessional's current tour, which stops by the Orpheum on Monday, features the band's most ambitious staging to date. It has hints of U2 — "just not to the grand scale. It's a little closer and a little more intimate. We have quite a bit less than a million dollars a day to spend."

Thanks sue4u2!

You'd think being inspired by a band would make you want to create something magical and wonderful that hasn't been heard or done before.. But instead it just means adopting the vocal stylings of the singer and wanting to borrow from their stage show.

Blah.

Back
Top Bottom