(07-25-2005) Elton 'Livid' At Bono Snub - ContactMusic*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
ELTON 'LIVID' AT BONO SNUB

SIR ELTON JOHN is reportedly furious U2 have refused to have any part in a charity album he is producing for his Aids foundation.

The ROCKET MAN star was keen to feature the Irish rockers' 1980s hit NEW YEAR'S DAY on the star-studded release - which is set to feature MORRISSEY and BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - but BONO stunned John with the snub.

An insider tells British newspaper the Sunday Mirror, "Elton is livid. He can't believe U2 refused to give permission to use New Year's Day. He thinks it's really bad form.

"Bono was one of the main protagonists for Live 8 and the Make Poverty History campaign which Elton was happy to do because it was such a brilliant cause.

"So you can imagine he was amazed - and a little let down to say the least."

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/elton livid at bono snub

huh........that is surprising.:hmm: Maybe its just not the right song for this album.

the wrath of Sir Elton:yikes: :yikes:

:wink:

You know the British media, they usually only tell half the story, and of course it's that favourite of their's 'an insider' who is speaking on EJ's behalf. I'm sure there's more to this story than they're letting on.

Where does the money go for Sir Elton's Foundation?

And maybe Sir Elton is trying to ride Bono's coat tails as far as AIDS awareness and fundraising?

I don't think Bono is about raising money for foundations - I think he is more interested in raising public activism for AIDS issues.

Cheap media story.:tsk:

Jamila said:

And maybe Sir Elton is trying to ride Bono's coat tails as far as AIDS awareness and fundraising?

Elton John has been involved in AIDS fundraising since at least the time of Freddie Mercury's death over a decade ago (and I think even before that - he became very close with Ryan White's family). He's hardly riding anyone's coat tails on AIDS fundraising.

As for the story, it's from contactmusic, and they couldn't report their way out of a paper bag.

Well, since this is from ContactMusic, it should be taken with a grain of salt, as they tend to sensationalize every news story they steal from other sources.

Regardless, I think Elton needs to find a different route to getting his way instead of throwing a temper tantrum or tearing people up in the media everytime he doesn't like something. If he pisses off enough people, eventually no one will want to work with him or even listen to what he has to say.

Regardless of how accurate the story is, something occurred to me while reading this. And, mind you, I'm a long-time EJ fan: Is it my imagination, or does hardly a week go by now that you don't hear of ANOTHER hissy fit this man's had??? :laugh:

I would be curious to hear another account of this, however - and something from U2's camp in rebuttal. :hmm:

I have known of Elton's longtime involvement in AIDS "causes" - I just haven't seen any proof of anything positive coming out of all the money he raises (kinda of like Elizabeth Taylor).

I still say he's trying to create this controversy to actually increase the attention his foundation will receive by coat tailing off Bono.

My personal opinion - and we're all entitled to one. :wink:

yes hes too impulsive, needs to think before talking...
And Bono knows the issue, so there must be an accourate argument behind this

I don't think we heard the whole story yet.

(New Year's day and AIDS? What's the connection?)

I want both sides of the story before making a judgement. If true it would truly stink of U2. Something tells me it's not true though.
Time will tell.

Elton has been involved in AIDS work for years... but it's true, I really don't know what his work has done. That is, I don't know how much he's raised nor do I know what that $$ has done. Was it used for research? When and where and to whom? Was it for hospital care? Again, when, where and for whom?

As for U2, it is possible Elton asked for NYD and was turned down. Perhaps the U2 camp feels that is an inappropriate song and are working on choosing another song (I imagine they are tired of using "One" all the time). But of course, the media is just reporting this supposed "snub". But it's also possible that U2 don't support Elton's charities. There are a lot of charities I don't support because the bulk of the $$ doesn't actually go to the charity - it goes for fundraising and paying salaries!!

I think we all need to keep in mind that Elton himself was not quoted in this "story" - a conveniently anonymous "insider" was. I would take this whole thing with a huge grain of salt, especially since Elton doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would hide behind one of his hangers-on to criticize someone - he'd just come right out and say it himself. He's not exactly shy about that kind of thing!

I don't think we should be so quick to diss Elton's AIDS charity work either, unless someone has actual facts about where the money is going. I would think U2 fans of all people would give an artist the benefit of the doubt when it comes to things like this, seeing as we've had to endure clueless people dissing Bono for his charity work.

Like some others Im a fan of Elton John too but he does tend to have tantrums. This isnt' to say though that this story isn't lacking important information. Im sure there is A LOT more to this story than what is being told.

U2dork said:
Well, since this is from ContactMusic, it should be taken with a grain of salt, as they tend to sensationalize every news story they steal from other sources.

Regardless, I think Elton needs to find a different route to getting his way instead of throwing a temper tantrum or tearing people up in the media everytime he doesn't like something. If he pisses off enough people, eventually no one will want to work with him or even listen to what he has to say.

My thoughts also......there are two sides to every story and the press just LOVES to sensationalize and make huge mountains out of mere molehills. Bono would NOT simply say no to using the song or any song for no reason at all, or without checking with the band or management. I'll wait to see IF anything else is reported about this or to hear something from U2 directly.

Remember that U2 changed the original video for One (the single proceeds for which went to an AIDS charity) as it featured the band dressed in drag and they were concerned that AIDS be depicted in the media as a gay disease rather than one that affects all walks of life.

Obviously Elton's sexual preferences are well known and the band are interested in raising AIDS awareness in a global setting. Also the song Pride is associated with Martin Luther King, not a killer disease, and the choice of the song title could bring comparisons with Gay Pride. i.e. all a bit off-message when U2's number one priority is Africa.

nbcrusader said:
Is Elton concerned about AIDS or is he concerned about Elton?

What an incredibly cynical thing to say. I'm pretty sure Elton's involvement is genuine, considering how much time and money he's invested in this issue over the last 20 years.

I'm sure we don't know the whole story, but even if this is it, U2 has every right to turn down whatever they want. You reach a certain point where people are bound to think "oh god, U2's involved in yet another benefit."

Can't we just get along?:shrug: I really don't believe any of this stuff until I hear or in this case read it from a reliable source. Either way U2 has the right to do what they wish to do with the song. Just my opinion.

Er, maybe Bono doesn't want the song to be used, (I mean, he wrote the lyrics), as maybe he feels it's not really fitting with an AIDS charity album?

There's gotta be some sort of theme to the songs Elton wants, but how does "New Year's Day" fit that?

Read the lyrics to "New Year's Day."

Unless Elton wants the shorter more known version, but still I don't know if it fits. U2 have many songs, why that one?

The point of this album is to sell it, to raise money for a charity right?, was Elton just trying to use U2's popularity, thus choosing a very well known, popular song, to do that?

I've listened to this song more times than I can count, I just don't see any connection, other than it's a really well known U2 song.

Think about this, U2 turned down $25 million for a car company to use "Streets", Bono even said they were thinking of taking it, then giving the money to charity, but they decided not to. I think U2 sometimes have a special connection to some of their songs, and when push comes to shove, they don't want them used in that way, even if the intention is good. With a different song maybe this story would be different?

Has NYD ever been completely taken out from a tour?

Bono said at one Vertigo gig that NYD "belongs to Adam."

Could just be the song choice. Maybe Bono/U2 suggested something else, and Elton didn't agree?

People who suffer from AIDS don't need to be tortured with Elton's version of NYD.

Back
Top Bottom