(07-20-2006) U2's Vertigo Tour Hits the Road Again! -- U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cigar said:
The reaction of the Pearl Jam fans on their board is "Pathetic".If you haven't realise how much U2 are hated outside the U2 fans cummunity,go have a look,it's one hell of a reality check.

:shrug: I wonder what they thought of Pearl Jam opening for U2 on Zoo TV tour?
I would also say that a lot of the "U2" hate is really disliking Bono in particular.

GracelandHarley said:
You can see why others would hate them? And you don't blame them? Care to share why?

I just find that comment rather surprising, and not really supportable, given the circumstances.

I think the "fan" vs. "fan" showdown that exists everywhere is very immature... just another variation of the same nonsense in sports. Taste in music is very individualistic. Not agreeing with another's taste is par for the course. Slagging them off for their choice... stupid.
Hating someone's else's taste is juvenile beyond words.

I think you misinterpreted/misunderstood my post too.
Or perhaps better said, I think you read much more into it then there really is.

To tell you the truth, I didn't really give (the wording of) my post much thought.
Reading your reaction, you seem to have trouble with the use of the word "hate".
It can have strong, heavy feelings behind it.
But I wrote it without much of that behind it.
I only used the word "hate", because the post I was responding to (Cigar's) had the word "hate" in it.
Perhaps it would have been better if I had said "dislike".

I said: No, thanks. I think I'll pass.
Meaning: I don't wanna go to the PJ website, 'cause I don't feel like reading the negative things some people on there might say about u2.
I usually skip the bashing or negative threads on here as well.
Why should I go to another band's website to read what is said about u2 there.

I said : I can't say I'm surprised by or blame the PJ fans for how they are reacting on the news that PJ is opening for u2.
They're PJ fans and logically want to see PJ headlining shows.

What would your reaction be, if u2 were opening for PJ?

I said: Even though I like u2, I can see and understand why others would hate them. As a reaction to Cigar's: "If you haven't realised how much U2 are hated outside the U2 fans community,go have a look,it's one hell of a reality check."

'Cause I don't need (nor want) a reality check.
Just because I like u2, that doesn't automatically mean everybody else does as well.
Like you said tast in music is very individualistic.
So I know that other people don't have to like the same music that I like.

OK.
I hope I explained what I meant with my post.

Let's get back on topic.

What is this discussion about? Just imagine everybody would love U2, that's a horrible vision. EVERY artist is loved by some and hated by others. But as a fan I must be strong enough in my fandom to not be impressed or irritatated by other peoples' negative feelings. "Reality check" my ass, does anyone here really believe that U2 (or any other band or artist) are loved everywhere and by everyone? I always say that if something like this bothers you, you are not very strong in your support and fandom. For me, I couldn't care less, especially knowing, that a lot of "hate" comes out of jealousy.

U2girl said:

I would also say that a lot of the "U2" hate is really disliking Bono in particular.

I had a look over at Message Pit and all the self-righteous etc.. complaints are just too funny coming from fans of a band who has a frontman as vocal on issues as Vedder is.

Not to mention bands like and respect each other.

I think the pearl jam fans being less than over joyed about it may be down to the fact that pearl jam are a big band, probably too big to be supporting another band. Think how we would all feel if u2 (okay alot bigger than pearl jam, admittedly) announced they were supporting the rolling stones? It would just be weird.

I read the posts at the PJ site, and yes there were maybe 3 or 4 that bashed U2. But there were more that supported U2.

To be honest, I see more U2 bashing at this forum. So I don't see what the fuss is about :shrug: .

ntalwar said:
So I don't see what the fuss is about :shrug: .

Neither do I.
I certainly had no idea that my post would get the reaction it did. GracelandHarley misinterpeted my post, so I felt the need to clearify.

I'm sorry that it derailed the thread completely.
:(

Last edited:
partygirlvox said:
Think how we would all feel if u2 (okay alot bigger than pearl jam, admittedly) announced they were supporting the rolling stones? It would just be weird.

But WHAT a show!!! :bow: Imagine Bono, Mick and Keith on stage together... the mind boggles... :crazy:

shika said:

But WHAT a show!!! :bow: Imagine Bono, Mick and Keith on stage together... the mind boggles... :crazy:

This has already happened. Bono has joined the Stones on stage. I must admit, not something I would nesecarily like to see. Maybe I am not being fair to Pear Jam, and I must admit that I do not know very much about them, but in my opinion U2 still are the bigger band and maybe Pear Jam see it as an honour to be supporting them and not as something weird or embarrassing.

Back
Top Bottom