(07-19-2006) Carter Alan Says Expect U2 Stadium Dates - Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's no way that the band will play North America again on this tour..except Hawaii.Get that idea out of your mind once and for all,folks. What ever that Carter guy said on the radio,i'm "10 000 %" sur,he was talking about the 10 postponed show of last spring..with maybe adding 2 or 3 more cities in the region...Tokyo,Perth and another city in N.Z.

Remember,the 4th leg of the Popmart tour lasted from January 27 to March 21 1998,that's 7 weeks and a half...very close to the rumoured 8 weeks extention of this tour,isn't?.well,that leg had only 15 shows in 12 cities..right now we have 10 shows in 7 cities for this tour 4th leg.

So,they are not ending the tour at MSG or playing at Giant stadium in the middle of November,neither Soldier field or Gillett stadium

....I Don't think the band are dreamming of playing a concert while fans are throwing snow balls on stage or all over the place at Giant stadium in the middle of November or December...think about it...

Last edited:
Cigar said:
There's no way that the band will play North America again on this tour..except Hawaii.Get that idea out of your mind once and for all,folks. What ever that Carter guy said on the radio,i'm "10 000 %" sur,he was talking about the 10 postponed show of last spring..with maybe adding 2 or 3 more cities in the region...Tokyo,Perth and another city in N.Z.

Remember,the 4th leg of the Popmart tour lasted from January 27 to March 21 1998,that's 7 weeks and a half...very close to the rumoured 8 weeks extention of this tour,isn't?.well,that leg had only 15 shows in 12 cities..right now we have 10 shows in 7 cities for this tour 4th leg.

So,they are not ending the tour at MSG or playing at Giant stadium in the middle of November,neither Soldier field or Gillett stadium

....I Don't think the band are dreamming of playing a concert while fans are throwing snow balls on stage or all over the place at Giant stadium in the middle of November or December...think about it...

I think you are probably right but by looking at the end of your post you havent read through the thread. Look at what I said and what Elvis said about touring N. America this time of year. I agree its unlikely, but the weather isnt necessarily a factor. They have done two stadium tours through N. America in a similiar time frame before. The Outside Broadcast tour in 92 and Popmart in 97. I saw U2 at the Silverdome in Detroit at the end of October. Not to mention Bruce played shows at Shea Stadium in NY in October. Like I said, unlikely, but not impossible. Dismissing it simply due to the climate that time of year isnt really a huge factor.

Blue Room said:

I think you are probably right but by looking at the end of your post you havent read through the thread. Look at what I said and what Elvis said about touring N. America this time of year. I agree its unlikely, but the weather isnt necessarily a factor. They have done two stadium tours through N. America in a similiar time frame before. The Outside Broadcast tour in 92 and Popmart in 97. I saw U2 at the Silverdome in Detroit at the end of October. Not to mention Bruce played shows at Shea Stadium in NY in October. Like I said, unlikely, but not impossible. Dismissing it simply due to the climate that time of year isnt really a huge factor.

I read the entire thread and i know very well that the band would not come here on this side of the Atlantic without visiting their 3 biggest markets...(Chicago,Boston and N.Y.)

Detroit or Kalamazoo might be nice cities,but $$$$$ talk and Paul Mcguinness knows how to count.Look,it's not just for climatic reasons.They played here twice on this tour..the album is 2 year old.

Last edited:
I think the only way this will happen is if U2 releases, at the very least, an EP. Would they really promote a two year old album otherwise? the rescheduled dates are an obligation, doesn't make sense to add extra dates unless they have something new to offer

if they DO though, I will be one happy camper :happy: ...assuming I can even get tickets :crazy:

Cigar said:

I read the entire thread and i know very well that the band would not come here on this side of the Atlantic without visiting their 3 biggest markets.

Detroit or Kalamazoo might be nice cities,but $$$$$ talk and Paul Mcguinness knows how to count.Look,it's not just for climatic reasons.They played here twice on this tour..the album is 2 years old.

I agree, but your last post focused almost solely on the climate at the time, thats what I was pointing out. They had some stadiums tentatively booked for N. America spring/early summer this year, the album would have been 1 1/2 years old at that time. The reason they didnt do it was because their gear rental was up before that time frame. Now that the tour is continuing later and they are getting new/additional/or able to rent the gear at that point doesnt make it impossible. There are some stadium shows they could do that would sell well IMO. Also, the third leg of Popmart skipped the three largest cities you indicated. So I guess they could and have come to this side of the Atlantic and not played those cities. :shrug:

Montreal (domed stadium, underplayed)
Syracuse NY, (domed stadium, not played)
Detroit (domed stadium, its been a year since they played there. Bruce Springsteen didnt even sell out the Palace for one night on the Rising tour, yet returned a year later to play a stadium show at Comerica Park, and sold well :shrug: )
St. Louis (domed stadium)
Indianapolis (domed stadium, not played)
I could keep going but you get the point. Like I said, its unlikely, but they could make money on it if they wanted and could do it if they wanted. Do I think they will, NO. But like I said before I wouldnt be shocked either if they did. :shrug:

Blue Room said:

I agree, but your last post focused almost solely on the climate at the time, thats what I was pointing out. They had some stadiums tentatively booked for N. America spring/early summer this year, the album would have been 1 1/2 years old at that time. The reason they didnt do it was because their gear rental was up before that time frame. Now that the tour is continuing later and they are getting new/additional/or able to rent the gear at that point doesnt make it impossible. There are some stadium shows they could do that would sell well IMO. Also, the third leg of Popmart skipped the three largest cities you indicated. So I guess they could and have come to this side of the Atlantic and not played those cities. :shrug:

Montreal (domed stadium, underplayed)
Syracuse NY, (domed stadium, not played)
Detroit (domed stadium, its been a year since they played there. Bruce Springsteen didnt even sell out the Palace for one night on the Rising tour, yet returned a year later to play a stadium show at Comerica Park, and sold well :shrug: )
St. Louis (domed stadium)
Indianapolis (domed stadium, not played)
I could keep going but you get the point. Like I said, its unlikely, but they could make money on it if they wanted and could do it if they wanted. Do I think they will, NO. But like I said before I wouldnt be shocked either if they did. :shrug:

I'm not saying that the weather is the number 1 reason for why they aren't coming on this side of the Atlantic.The end of my original post in this thread was just to add another reason for why they are not coming back.

I heard Rocko,(the stage manager for U2), during the marathon on the Cleveland radio station last week, and it was very clear that finance and logistic are more problematic that just the weather.

And you can add commun sense as another reason for not touring america for the 3rd time on this tour.When was the last time U2 had 3 N.A. legs on a particular tour?

Maybe,just maybe they could play a couple of warm up shows at Wimbley arena or at Bercy in Paris before heading to Kangaroo land.That would make more sense financially and logistic wise than to come here and a play 3 or 4 shows in dome stadiums.

Last edited:
AtomicBono said:
I think the only way this will happen is if U2 releases, at the very least, an EP. Would they really promote a two year old album otherwise? the rescheduled dates are an obligation, doesn't make sense to add extra dates unless they have something new to offer

Another possibility is for financial reasons. Assuming they lost money by postponing, extra shows would offset the loss.

For the other comment about the gear rental - I think they own most of what they tour with - it's mostly customized.

AtomicBono said:

U2 will have 2-3 new products they are selling right before the U2log.com-rumored 8 week tour leg starts.

In September they will release the dvd of Zoo TV and more importantly, they will have the brand new U2 By U2 book they are plugging. Also, Hamish Hamilton told me personally in Sao Paulo that the Vertigo Milan dvd was coming out "at the end of the year". It is possible they can still release this in November, even though they are giving us the Zoo TV dvd in September.

While U2 would not have any new music to offer us, they will have new products to help promote.

Remember back in 1989 when we heard that the Love Comes To Town Tour was only going to be in Australia, New Zealand and Japan? They then decided to add additional dates in Europe, so it is possible that like in 1989, they have rethought the Vertigo 5th leg and want to include some North American dates in October.

Last edited:
This was posted on another forum about half an hour ago...

Hawaii radio just has Carter Alan on, he said he was just guessing with all of this and with an information age he was instantly quoted on the internet. He had no leads on anything. Word in Hawaii is still the 9th, possibly the 10th with Pearl Jam.

Which is what I kinda thought, he's not really in the U2 loop these days...

Pop Artist, thanks for the update. Good to at least have that bit clarified.

Pop Artist said:

Hawaii radio just has Carter Alan on, he said he was just guessing with all of this and with an information age he was instantly quoted on the internet. He had no leads on anything. Word in Hawaii is still the 9th, possibly the 10th with Pearl Jam.

Thanks for posting! :D

Pop Artist said:

Which is what I kinda thought, he's not really in the U2 loop these days...

and there it is.

The internet :laugh:

Makes the most sense out of everything. At least there wont be any U.S. bashing because U2 chose to play more dates here. It would have been our fault after all. :wink:

Cigar said:

I'm not saying that the weather is the number 1 reason for why they aren't coming on this side of the Atlantic.The end of my original post in this thread was just to add another reason for why they are not coming back.

I heard Rocko,(the stage manager for U2), during the marathon on the Cleveland radio station last week, and it was very clear that finance and logistic are more problematic that just the weather.

And you can add commun sense as another reason for not touring america for the 3rd time on this tour.When was the last time U2 had 3 N.A. legs on a particular tour?

Maybe,just maybe they could play a couple of warm up shows at Wimbley arena or at Bercy in Paris before heading to Kangaroo land.That would make more sense financially and logistic wise than to come here and a play 3 or 4 shows in dome stadiums.

Like I said in every post, I agreed, it was unlikely it was going to happen. Logistically though things are easier to do in the U.S. One country obviously and you dont have the red tape of shipping the stage through a different country for every show. U2's tour manager Dennis Sheehan as well as Paul McGuiness have commented on that in the past and said its easier to do a tour in the U.S. So I'm not sure what Rocko was talking about, something tells me he didnt say the U.S. was a logistic challenge. He probably meant touring in general. (which would include Australia obviously and he could have been giving an excuse as to why those dates are taking so long to announce. :shrug: ).

I'm not sure why Europe would have been easier logistically to Australia and Japan than N. America? Why would that make more sense to do a couple Arena shows with less tickets, less money, more red tape, in several different countries with a stage they wouldnt even be using in Australia or Japan?

Last edited:
Im willing to bet it is true and that Carter does know what he is talking about. Why would he just randomly "speculate" on a band's tour plans? I think he probably spoke on something that he wasnt suppose to speak on and is covering his tracks.

Financially, it doesnt make sense to take a show that size out on the road for 10 dates. After 10 shows theyll just be getting their momentum back.

Its just my opinion but I think if they are making the effort to come back rather than cancel that they will make it worthwhile for themselves.

editorinchief said:

Financially, it doesnt make sense to take a show that size out on the road for 10 dates. After 10 shows theyll just be getting their momentum back.

I agree completely, what sense does it make to have a 10 show tour? All this extra time must be because of adding extra shows... I'm just hoping more US dates are involved :yes:

Harry Vest said:
CANADA PLEASE!!!
How about Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton??????????????????
Before everyone laughs Winnipeg Stadium SOLD OUT in June of 1997 for the Pop Tour!!! Better than some places in the States!!!

Winnipeg would be nice.:drool:

not gonna happen, not this tour I think.

Finally we know when U2 is going on with their tour.

They will finish it before the end of this year, so that they can go on making new stuff again (as they are doing already).

Back
Top Bottom