(07-19-2004) U2 Finish Their 'Bomb', Party and Shoot a Video - Sunday Independent*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2 Finish Their 'Bomb', Party and Shoot a Video

Ed note: This article appeared in the July 18th edition of the Sunday Independent - apparently after the album went missing, although the events described in the article below are events leading up to the album's loss. We apologize for the confusion.

According to an article in Ireland's Sunday Independent, U2 celebrated the completion of their new (and missing) album at the Clarence on Friday, inviting everyone who worked on the album to the party. On Saturday, the band flew again to the South of France to shoot a video for what would be presumably their first single. Perhaps the most interesting and newsworthy portion of the article is that the Sunday Independent is reporting the album might be titled "How to Defuse an Atomic Bomb."

To read the article, (registration required), visit:
http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=129&si=1217396&issue_id=11159

Thanks to Barry!

Last edited:
Bono said himself that the way to diffuse an atomic bomb is with love. Love will be the title of the new album, I'm afraid.

If the critics don't like it, they'll be able to say "not even Bono himself can difuse this bomb". Headlines: U2 Bombs in the sales charts/radio charts/whatever.

You should never include the word Bomb in your album title.

This is a totally mess up article.Because the band had allready held their finish album party at the beginning of july,remember?.And why would they come back from France for only one day to have a "party"..again....and flew to France back the next day again????

Doesn't make any sense at all.

Last edited:
I read the full article in the Sunday Independent, not just this summary. It makes it clear that the party was held on a Friday,BEFORE the album went missing. The summary is very misleading.

Last edited:
They're still hanging around France? Gosh, they'll probably have something important of theirs mugged again :no:

While reports of this party were at first exciting, as I interpreted them to mean U2 is indeed going ahead with the album, I am now worried. As Biff reported, the party was held before the album was stolen. And another U2 fan site is reporting that per MSN Entertainment UK, U2 may scrap plans to release the album completely - and start all over again!!! :sad:

This may just be some sort of scare tactic or perhaps MSN Entertainment UK is overzealous in stating this - but it is cause for concern.

I heard this news too and it also has me worried i am not prepared to wait another 3-4 years for a new album to come out and I think fan wise point of view, this could mean the loss of alot of u2 fans. This would be BAD for U2 i think if they scrap the whole album esp after so much hype and waiting. Lets hope its just a rumor and thats all.

Nico

[

QUOTE]Originally posted by u2ulysses
While reports of this party were at first exciting, as I interpreted them to mean U2 is indeed going ahead with the album, I am now worried. As Biff reported, the party was held before the album was stolen. And another U2 fan site is reporting that per MSN Entertainment UK, U2 may scrap plans to release the album completely - and start all over again!!! :sad:

This may just be some sort of scare tactic or perhaps MSN Entertainment UK is overzealous in stating this - but it is cause for concern.
[/QUOTE]

I find it silly that people are taking seriously the idea that U2 would scrap an entire album because a "rough cut" of it was stolen several months before the album is scheduled to be released. That is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard of, and I can't see any logical (or even illogical) reason why that would cause the band to scrap an album. Relax, people. The MSN report is a case of a reporter piecing together other reports and adding their own sensational touch. Nothing more. Calm down.

stolen cd

even if this cd was the only copy. which i stronly doubt. im sure they remember the songs, because to cut a song, any musician knows they probably played it like 100 times to get it right.

:yes: I agree with Pop! Calm down-they know what to do!! It's not like this band has a perfect record of nothing going wrong when it comes to their music! But, I still think it really insulting to think the Band would come up with anything like this just for publicity!:| i think they have proven over the years that they don;t need to result to any of that when it comes to their music!:eyebrow:

-A COPY of the new album was stolen (maybe....)
-All they have to do is chose the setlist and do the final touches.
-If it affects anything, it will be the release date and sales of the record IF there is a leak, which is causing the worry.
-There is 0% chance of them scrapping the album and starting again.

I dont think the CD was stolen, it was just misplaced. It would have been on the internet by now, or we would have heard something new. I think I like the "bomb" title for the new album, although I agree it does set themselves up to the critics.

Last edited:
"How To Diffuse The Atomic Bomb" is an interesting concept-perhaps a more relevant title would be "Oh Yea Of Little Faith." Bono and the boys will not let us down-this is simple all rumor..just wait-I am......

There is no chance of U2 giving up that amount of hard work for nothing.The new album sounds like it could be one of the best yet especially if its is as hard as Edge says it is.Dont panic fellow followers, there are good times to come before they call it a day!!!

Uhmmm... I think the big fear here relates to any impact in sales. MSN is just hyping up a whole lot of nothing.

Weren't we already told, by Edge himself, that it was his COPY that was lost?

---------------------
The missing CD belonged to the group's lead guitarist, Edge.

"It doesn't seem credible but that's what's just happened to us ... and it was my CD."
---------------------

Presumably, there are at least 3 copies more floating around, not including who ever else on the team has one. I doubt that U2 is dumb enough to keep only one copy of a CD containing years worth of work. That's just rank amateur behavior. Definitely not U2's style.

C'mon... ONLY one copy of their nearly finished album? If you believe then you've fallen into the fanboy trap. I think the big fear here relates to any impact in sales. MSN is just hyping up a whole lot of nothing.

I agree with the hype surrounding the stolen or missing cd is all about sales.
It's not like somebody broke into their
studio and stole the masters of their
album.
That MSN "story" is totally ridiculous bs.
U2 spent close to 2 years making this album. Ooops, Edge's cd is stolen;
Let's scrap the entire album now. :p
That's insane! LOL!

They would never not release the album, it's gonna make the record company (and the band) tons of money.

I'm sure they are re-thinking their release strategy whether to wait till November or release it a bit earlier like October.

If the whole album or how many songs were on that CD were released it could impact the band in either a positive or negative way. If everyone hears the songs and the majority think it's some of U2's worst songs then it could snowball and make people who haven't heard it beLIEve that and when the album comes out some people will have already made up their minds on some demo quality cd not the real thing. Human psychology is a strange thing, people believe a lot of things that they have only heard about second hand, I think it's because people's attention span is short these days and just want to believe what others are saying about it.

So yes it could hurt the band's cd release.

If I was them, once the songs are mastered (get it done in 1 month U2!) then release snippets of cd quality music on the internet of all the songs. I would do this so peoples first impression of the new album is a really good, mastered final copy they can expect to buy not a demo quality that was probably on Edge's cd.

Excellent title...very relevant and perfect for a U2 album, it's what they are all about, the world we live in is as dangerous as ever and this title addresses this...ignore MSN and why do we always have to go on about sales all the time? We should be talking about the music and I believe we are just about to witness one hell of a sizzling album...can't wait until November (which by the way will still be the release date...)

There's no way the Edge's CD was the only copy. The whole thing would still be saved in the recording room somewhere. I don't even think it was the official CD that will be released, maybe just some of the Edge's work with SOME of the songs that will be released in the new album.

I know, I know...

People involved in the new album production, including the four lads (or like Adam likes do say, three adults and a child) have a copy (a work copy with some unfinished songs). These guys use to carry this copy around, playing it on the nearest CD-player. That's OK. When U2 went to Portugal, Edge was seen with a boom box almost attached to his hands. Maybe that glue was not so good. By the way, the original "tapes" still exist, in the studio, of course...

its been like a week and not one new lead on the story, no new threads. That means it wasnt that big of a deal, a little over-reacting. PR Stunt? Still not sure...

How To Diffuse an Atomic Bomb....or otherwise to begin being known as HTDAAB!
I bet Larry is loving the merchadising for this one after just coming off of ATYCLB, can we get some shorter titles please? Is there a rule now that there must be 6 words?

.......I remember when U2 albums were in 3 or less words.....those were the days.... ;)

worst name ever... :|

why don't "how to defuse a twinkie"

or "how to find a stolen"

it would be called the "how to find a stolen" album

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom