(07-16-2004) More on the Missing U2 Disc -- The Guardian *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
More on the Missing U2 Disc

French police investigate loss of disc which could cost band ?10m

Jamie Wilson and Amelia Gentleman in Paris
Saturday July 17, 2004
The Guardian

Rock superstars U2 were counting the cost of a carelessly misplaced CD yesterday, after a disc containing songs from their forthcoming album disappeared during a photoshoot in Nice.
French police have launched a major investigation amid fears it may have been stolen to order by bootleggers to make pirate copies, potentially costing the band and their record company millions of pounds in lost revenue.

So far detectives have interviewed more than 20 people, including hairdressers and photographers, who were at the photoshoot in the Victorine studios on Tuesday afternoon.

The missing CD belonged to the group's lead guitarist, Edge. It was not clear yesterday exactly where he had left it, but in a statement released on the band's website he said: "A large slice of two years' work lifted via a piece of round plastic. It doesn't seem credible but that's what's just happened to us ... and it was my CD."

The band had only recently completed much of the recording of the new album in Dublin. They were in France for the photoshoot and to complete post-production work in Nice, where lead singer, Bono, has a house.

Following the disappearance, the band's drummer, Larry Mullen, and Edge were pictured going into a police station near the studio.

Guy Sapata, the police officer in charge of the case in Nice, said that the investigation was ongoing.

"We have already inspected the site where the photoshoot took place, a private studio in Nice, and have interviewed the 20 or so people who were present at the time the CD went missing."

He said that as well as the band members there had been numerous technicians, and support staff - French, Irish, British and American - helping with the shoot.

The inquiry was launched on Tuesday evening and had continued throughout Wednesday, the national Bastille Day holiday, he said - an indication of how seriously the police were taking the case.

"We are considering a wide range of possible theories - theft by a fan who simply likes the music, theft by someone who wants to exploit the CD by putting it on the internet. The CD may also have simply been lost," Mr Sapata said.

U2's manager, Paul McGuinness, told the band's website: "The recording of this album has been going so well. The band is so excited about its release. It would be a shame if unfinished work fell into the wrong hands."

Lucian Grainge, the chairman and chief executive of Universal Music Group UK, said: "This matter is of great concern to us.

"As the missing CD is our property, we're very keen to find it as soon as possible and the French police are being extremely helpful in this regard."

The new album, titled Vertigo, is due to be released in November and will be the first new studio album from U2 since All That You Can't Leave Behind, nearly four years ago.

The group's management yesterday called an emergency meeting in London to try to deal with the fallout.

One industry source said the theft could potentially cost the band and their record company upwards of ?10m.

"There is a crucial window period of a week or two after a band release a new album when it will make most of its money. At that point it is crucial to have property protection, so if it has been on the internet beforehand it will obviously disrupt the whole brand," the source said.

It is not the first time U2 have fallen foul of bootleggers. New songs from their 1996 album, Pop, went on sale on the internet after purportedly being removed from their Dublin studio by computer hackers.

It was claimed at the time that the songs may have been electronically "siphoned off" along cables feeding the band's own video camera, which has been recording rehearsals and feeding images on to the band's website.

According to the IFPI, the international recording industry body, record sales fell by 8 percent in 2003 as a result of illegal file sharing.

It is also not the first time the band have been careless with a CD. In 2002 Bono handed a demo copy of Electrical Storm to Radio 1 DJ Sarah HB as a wedding gift. She promptly played it on her radio show, forcing the band to bring forward its release by two weeks.

Now i believe it is not a PR stunt. They've actually named a police source. It's real.

Now on to my rant. How does a lost cd cost the band $10,000,000? Anyone who'll download the album without buying an official copy will do so whether the songs appear now from a leak or later from the official release. Record execs just don't get it. They've turned into drama queens. Download all you want. It will be a great day when the old overpaid record executive fucks are out of work, and someone who make $75K a year and LOVES music is running the show.

Hey Mr. Brau, glad to see that you actually believe now that this is real. Thanks.
The monetary figure may be exaggerated, but it's a very bad thing nonetheless.:|

Last edited:
DaveC said:
Boy everybody sure is jumping on this Vertigo bandwagon aren't they? :rolleyes:

Yeah, WTF is that all about? How did that suddenly become THE TITLE? The actual title will be a surprise, as it always is. They will not name the album something that's been rumoured for weeks.

bratty_cat said:

Now the entire world knows that they have a new album coming out in November.

:yes: Isn't this the entire purpose of this whole thing? Call me a cynic but i still think it's not an accident!

Last edited:
Maybe more people will now finally realize this is not a PR stunt.

Last edited:
currency

the article doesn't say $10m, it states ?10m - more than half as much again. The Guardian is a UK paper, most of U2's sales are outside the US - so why are so many people unable (unwilling ?) to take off their US blinkers ?

Mike

Re: currency

mikeuk said:
the article doesn't say $10m, it states ?10m - more than half as much again. The Guardian is a UK paper, most of U2's sales are outside the US - so why are so many people unable (unwilling ?) to take off their US blinkers ?

Mike

Thanks Mike. You're swell.:|

I've been kinda quiet on the missing U2 CD, but I feel that this THEFT is SCANDALOUS and should be UNACCEPTABLE to the U2 community. :yes:

U2 has ALWAYS been very trusting and open with their fans/followers and those in their entourage, but maybe it's time for them to rethink their generousity!

Whoever took this CD had NO SENSE OF LOYALTY to U2 and to the millions of us in the U2 community who by the tickets/CDs/U2 memorabilia which PAY THEIR SALARIES! :ohmy:

Their actions also endanger the release of some of this material which U2 has spent YEARS putting together and we have been waiting years to hear!

I feel SO SAD FOR U2 IN MY HEART ABOUT THIS THEFT OF THEIR MUSIC AND THEFT OF THEIR TRUST and I pray that the people who have taken this music will be found and FULLY PROSECUTED!:up:

And I hope that we will continue to be KIND AND SUPPORTIVE TO U2 as they struggle with the recovery of their music and the recovery of their trust in people. :hug:

THANK YOU, U2, FOR EVERTHING YOU HAVE GIVEN US. MAY WE GIVE THE SAME BACK TO YOU - I WILL FOLLOW! :angel: :love:

Jamila said:

I feel SO SAD FOR U2 IN MY HEART ABOUT THIS THEFT OF THEIR MUSIC AND THEFT OF THEIR TRUST and I pray that the people who have taken this music will be found and FULLY PROSECUTED!:up:

And I hope that we will continue to be KIND AND SUPPORTIVE TO U2 as they struggle with the recovery of their music and the recovery of their trust in people. :hug:

I was prepared to post something similar but Jamila has already done a lovely job of expressing just about everything I wanted to convey.

All I will add is that I've always tended to identify closest, personality-wise, with Edge -- and it doesn't take much to imagine the extent to which he is beating himself up right now, unwarranted as it is.

Some people are going to think I'm incredibly naive but some of the posts in here suggesting that he would lie to fans, police and the world at large in support of a publicity hoax, frankly, had me quite angry.

So, setting the negativity aside, here's a special prayer/ mantra/ hug/ lifting up of The Edge as this disheartening episode plays itself out.

PopDaisy

:heart: :edge: :heart:

bayernfc said:

:yes: Isn't this the entire purpose of this whole thing? Call me a cynic but i still think it's not an accident!

Cynic. :| I agree with PopDaisy:

Originally posted by PopDaisy

Some people are going to think I'm incredibly naive but some of the posts in here suggesting that he would lie to fans, police and the world at large in support of a publicity hoax, frankly, had me quite angry.

I've been saying it since this whole scandal started- U2 is not low enough to fake a robbery as a PR stunt! I posted a whole rant about it in my livejournal- it's here if you want to read it. :sigh:

If the music does end up on the Internet......I think that, so long as when the finished album comes out PM emphasizes that it's different from the pirated copy, and the loyal fans who went out and bought the album say so too, loss of sales shouldn't be too horrible. And then it could end up being a cool sort of "artifact" like the Axtung Beibi sessions. :)

(Oh, and mikeuk- I think it's just a simple mistake that people have beens saying dollars, not pounds. No need to get so upset over it!)

Re: currency

mikeuk said:

Mike

Because we don't have a "?" key on our keyboard--that's why. Yeesh...think of something better to complain about, why don't you? :rolleyes:

And really...record executives really are drama queens. They just pick a large number out of their ass and then cry "poverty." In other words, they're just looking for an excuse, in case the next U2 album doesn't sell so well. And I say that they can fuck themselves, because there's really nothing to stop people from downloading the album after it is officially released, because copy protection schemes are ridiculously easy to bypass.

Melon

Last edited:
I agree w/Jamila's sentiments. Although I've gone back & forth the last couple of days whether this is real or a hoax, I keep leaning toward it being real. If that's the case, what bothers me most is feeling so badly for U2 that they've been betrayed by someone they might know and that their right to release their work when and how they want may be taken away. They must be so hurt!:sad:

On the other hand, if this does turn out to be a hoax, they've done a mighty fine job of it! :wink:

:up: :yes: I agree with Popdaisy!! It is insulting to think this band of men we have been listening to, loving their music would come up with something like this just for publicity!! And they have shown they are more then a little generous with their music and way too trusting when it comes to us fans and their new music. This shows the real threat that is out there that the band has been trying to avoid! I for one hope they catch who ever it is, before they can do any damage for cash!:|

Frankly, I don?t know what to think about this whole incident. I just hope they can solve the mystery soon and get back on track with the arrangements for the release in November.

Cheers
MT

PopDaisy, u2grace, NameOfLove19 and forbonou2 - :applaud:

LET'S STAND BY U2! I THINK THEY NEED TO KNOW HOW MUCH WE TRULY LOVE AND RESPECT RIGHT NOW.

Eeeeeexcellent...my sister is *at this moment* in France...so I guess my little plan actually worked....bwahahahaha... :lol:

:shifty: Kidding.

It's absolutely UNREAL that something like this would happen TWICE in U2's career! :scream: Poor Edge (the responsible one!), I wonder if he's wanting to hide under a rock somewhere... :hug: :edge: And I can only imagine that, when they finally do tour again, that this incident will be the butt of many, MANY jokes if Bono has anything to say about it! :lol:

I truly hope the CD was simply misplaced and turns up unscathed soon...but I'm just wondering WHY on earth was something as precious as THEIR NEW ALBUM on CD was "out and about" in the first place? Wouldn't they want to keep it under lock and key at all times?

Does this mean we'll have yet another 2-3 year wait for the *new* new album?

Unbelieveable. :tsk: :hug:

All they have to do is to make a public statment and ask for the thief to bring back the demo.And in return,if the thief didn't leak it on the net yet,the band will give him/her the chance to see as many shows as he/she wants on the european leg for next year's tour.

.........Show the carrot..no stick...the thief will come foreward.Specialy if he or she is a fan of the band.

Last edited:
Jamila said:
U2 has ALWAYS been very trusting and open with their fans/followers and those in their entourage, but maybe it's time for them to rethink their generousity!

Whoever took this CD had NO SENSE OF LOYALTY to U2 and to the millions of us in the U2 community who by the tickets/CDs/U2 memorabilia which PAY THEIR SALARIES! :ohmy:

Well said, Jamila. U2, for as long as they've been around, do still seem a little na?ve and too trusting in matters like that; leaving recordings or lyric sheets lying around for just anyone to walk off with. Not everybody they work with will have the values and morals that they do. They need to tighten their security a lot more.

As far as this being a publicity stunt...I don't think they'd file a phony police report (a crime!) just to drum up publicity. If they wanted publicity, it'd be more in their character to put on a rooftop concert, or raise some money for charity.

I have absolutely no intention of downloading pirated copies of their music. Even though I am as eager as anyone else to hear their new stuff, I can wait until the album is properly released. I want my money to go to the ones who did all the work, not to some nasty little thief. :mad:

Jamila - I am in agreement with you in supporting the band. I was just giving them credit if indeed they are doing this on purpose - they are doing it very very well, and are getting a big laugh out of it. I support them either way - I feel bad for them if all this is true and applaud their creativity if it's not! :yes:

Back
Top Bottom