(07-15-2004) ?It Doesn?t Seem Credible...? - U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok Ive been reading this over to think of what to say :)

First off before I comment on the u2 thing the Radiohead leak Im sure they were pissed but actually Radiohead turned into a joke saying they saw it coming I mean Im sure they were mad but at least they put a soft hearted response on it.

Now on the U2 thing this is my opinion I think if the songs are going to be uploaded give it oh 24 to 48 hours possably even a week so start watching the file sharing programs id say and if anything comes up let em know.

I think there are probably quite a few copies around a few for the band like it was suggested to tinker with etc some for record execs etc and Id think the big portion would be stored in U2's studio not on a couple cdrs.

I dont think this will turn into another Salome incident I mean dont get me wrong I love the Salome bootleg but I think most likely either 1 of 3 things will happen. They'll find it without incident, they catch the person or someone who leads them to the person, or the worst the songs get uploaded and hit the net which will either make them change a few things or release the album early!

Also remember the case of the JT Demos when the snippets were up on the web the site was taken down and no more info was found on it............personally if the person uploads em that would be a dumb mistake.

Yes, they lost everything they've recorded in the past 3 years.

Of course they burned all their sheet music as well as the master tapes.

They now need to start again. I've heard now that it won't be out before 2009.

:rolleyes:

While I fully understand why U2 and their label, management and even us fans are upset, in terms of sales, I don't think this will do any damage.

ATYCLB was released during the height of free music downloading. The entire album was online well before the album was released. The result? The best opening week sales in the U.S. ever in the SoundScan era! And even though people could download even more easily after the album was released, ATYCLB went on to sell over 4 million copies in the U.S.!

In other words, U2 fans - even casual fans - are the type that buy the CD. They will buy several copies of it! U2's worst selling studio release in years was "Pop" - and even that sold 1.5 million copies in the U.S.! Compare this to other artists,like Madonna's last album which disappeared fast.

So even if the album sneaks online, I know many of us won't download the songs. Those that do will STILL buy at least one copy of the CD. And if the album is good or generates a few hit songs or if the tour is a big success (as was the case with ATYCLB and the tour), casual fans will buy the CD as well.

Therefore, in terms of sales, I don't think it matters. The only concern I have is if U2 or their label feel they have to "rush" to prevent the online access.

HelloAngel said:
?It Doesn?t Seem Credible...?

Edge has spoken of his astonishment that a CD containing some songs from the band?s new album has gone missing after a photo session.

Speaking to U2.Com, Edge said, 'A large slice of two years work lifted via a piece of round plastic. It doesn't seem credible but that's what's just happened to us...and it was my CD.'

The CD went missing during a photo-shoot in the south of France. The band recently completed much of the recording of the highly anticipated new album in Dublin and have been involved in post-production work in France.

It will be the first new studio album from U2 since All That You Can?t Leave Behind nearly four years ago.

French police have already launched a major investigation.

'The recording of this album has been going so well.' added Paul McGuinness of Principle Management. 'The band is so excited about its release. It would be a shame if unfinished work fell into the wrong hands.'

'This matter is of great concern to us.' said Lucian Grainge, Chairman and CEO of Universal Music Group UK. 'As the missing CD is our property, we're very keen find it as soon as possible and the French Police are being extremely helpful in this regard.'

More news as we get it.

CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG, BUT DIDN'T A SIMILAR SITUATION HAPPEN WITH 'ACHTUNG BABY?' LOOK HOW WELL THAT TURNED OUT........I'M SURE THE NEW ALBUM WILL BE FINE. LOOK AT THE BRIGHT SIDE: AT LEAST NOW WE ARE ALL GETTING SOME CREDIBLE INFO. REGARDING THE RELEASE DATES AND TOUR!!!!!!!

heh. Filing a false police report has criminal consequences in the States, (don't know how it is for France) -- seems to me if it's a true report that the fuzz are involved then that says it really did happen the way Edge says.....

I was skeptical until I read that the cops were involved. If it was a PR stunt.. they wouldn't have gone to the gendarmes.

agentmissa said:
:eyebrow: This has conspiracy written all over it. What better way to get the news out that there is a new album coming out than through world news?

i totally agree.
this news is in the new york post and on yahoo, cnn.com, etc.
it is perfect publicity.
i think it is a deliberate ploy.
it is guerilla marketing.
they are slowly building the buzz.
i don't think it is cynical to think that.
i am actually in awe of how easily they were able to generate blanket, worldwide publicity coverage.
they know how to play the game.
and if by chance it really was an accident, i'd say in the end-all it will turn out to be a happy accident, for sure.

and who said the police were involved?

wolfeden said:
heh. Filing a false police report has criminal consequences in the States, (don't know how it is for France) -- seems to me if it's a true report that the fuzz are involved then that says it really did happen the way Edge says.....

I was skeptical until I read that the cops were involved. If it was a PR stunt.. they wouldn't have gone to the gendarmes.

how do we know the police are involved? i saw no interviews on tv with the gendarmes? we've only read 'official' statements, edge wasn't interviewed on Sky News, we only had a written statement there too...how do we know if this has all just been made up? it's not an offence to make up a news story is it?

DaveC said:
Yes, they lost everything they've recorded in the past 3 years.

Of course they burned all their sheet music as well as the master tapes.

They now need to start again. I've heard now that it won't be out before 2009.

:rolleyes:

haha, i think im going with BloodySunday972 on this, I liked his breakdown. This is bad news, but not the end of the world. It wasnt the only recording, if it leaks that would suck. I just hope it doesnt mess with the process of putting the final touches on the album.

Also, I dont think its too far-fetched to think its a publicity stunt, im leaning toward "no" but it might be. This story has caught fire and everyone is talking about THE NEW U2 ALBUM. Makes a lot of people say "oh, u2 are coming out with a new album in November?" And if this is true, whats wrong with that? I think its brilliant marketing by u2 and their team, it doesnt make them look bad. Get some press before the new album comes out, remember, they've been gone for 3 years (after elevation tour ended) to the casual fan.

Last edited:
Re: and who said the police were involved?

ericbunny said:

how do we know the police are involved? i saw no interviews on tv with the gendarmes? we've only read 'official' statements, edge wasn't interviewed on Sky News, we only had a written statement there too...how do we know if this has all just been made up? it's not an offence to make up a news story is it?

further to what i said before...i've been thinking...this is a definite publicity stunt...take a look at the headline ...'it doesn't seem credible'...i may be eating my words later but this is almost a kind of cryptic clue...this whole story isn't credible and is just a brilliant work of 'publicity art' from U2's PR team....watch this space....

This is SUCH a set-up it's not even funny.

I mean, c'mon - why would Edge be carrying a copy of a couple songs around - especially to a photo shoot?

It's doubtful they'd be spinning the disc in public during the photo shoot for everyone to hear.

I think it's a deliberate attempt to get a few tunes online and generate a buzz. They did it "officially" last time and want to do it differently this time - maybe to create the perception that U2 is still relevant or whatever (not saying they aren't).

My guess is they'll never find the "culprits" and this will go down in the annals of rock music legend and lore as an unsolved mystery. Was it a true theft? Was it a PR stunt - we'll never know.

What would be really cool is if they put some totally sucky non-album songs on the disc just to mess with us.

wolfeden said:

They could have accidentally-on-purpose left a copy laying around knowing it would turn up missing. That way they could say it had been stolen and file a police report, still get the PR and have everything be legal. Then if the police do ever find the guy Principle would decide not to file charges, etc.

[/tinfoil hat]

strange that there is no word from Elvis on this. I wonder what he thinks.

I will tell you what I think - I agree it was probably accidentally on purpose. The NME article was almost tongue in cheek in my opinion. "oh yeah and if you happen to have the CD please give it back" I'm sure! Yea after Ive made a copy or two and uploaded them to the net. Yeah right.

This definitely smells of conspiracy. Definitely keeps the U2 fans talking and excited too.

Didnt something happen like this to Eminem (or some rapper) and they did end up putting the CD out earlier because it was already all over the net?

November is too far away I will tell you that - I am ready for new U2 music before summer's end. Someone email me at: proflatino2@yahoo.com if it pops up anywhere. I dont check this site nearly as much as I used to back in the ATYCLB days...

U2LA said:
strange that there is no word from Elvis on this. I wonder what he thinks.

I think Elvis knows that Interference is probably one of the sites they're watching to catch a leak of the album.

Back
Top Bottom