(07-12-2006) New Pub Roof Parking Spot for 'Bono's Banger' -- Irish Independent*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
New Pub Roof Parking Spot for "Bono's Banger"

IT'S affectionately known as 'Bono's banger' or 'bone shaker'.

But Bono's rusting old car will soon take pride of place in Dublin city centre - on the roof of a pub.

The 26-year-old Mercedes was sold yesterday on eBay to Fibber Magees, a late night venue on Dublin's Parnell St.

And manager Dave Lawlor is determined that the car - which cost €34,100 - will be parked on the roof. "U2 actually played here once years ago so it's brilliant to get it," he said. Although the car has seen little of the open road over the years, it has driven through its fair share of charity auctions. And it's still registered in Bono's name.

The U2 singer first donated the Mercedes 450SL to a charity auction to raise funds for Ethiopia in 2000. It was snapped up by the Pepsi Cola company for €61,000.

The drinks giant passed it on to Keith Duffy two years later when he was holding a fundraiser for autism charities. On that occasion, Cork-based businessman Stuart Matthews bought it for €30,000.

"There were a lot of people bidding on the car," he said, "but there was no way I was going home without it. I fell in love with that car the minute I set eyes on it."

Thanks to its age, it is now classed as a vintage car. And it has the added bonus of being kitted out with a sound system that cost €12,200.

As it sold for more than the €30,000 asking price, Mr Matthews said he will donate the difference to the Chernobyl Children's Project.

Edel Kennedy

--Irish Independent

Thanks sue4u2!

"Bone Shaker"....interesting.......got the Hot Wheels version 6/38......2006 First Editions....{has pirate quality}.

:|

Back
Top Bottom