(07-08-2005) On the Road: Phil Docherty -- U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
On the Road: Phil Docherty

U2.com has made another addition to its "On the Road" collection of Vertigo road crew profiles--Phil Docherty, Bono's guitar tech. Get the complete members-only profile here, snippets are below.

Ended up Working With U2
I haven’t been working with them for that long. Although I’d been approached before, basically I’ve spent about the last 18 years working with Sting. In that time I’ve also worked with other acts – everything from The Cranberries to Jane’s Addiction, but that has always been filling in between Sting tours. Sting always tended to be on the road at the same time as U2 so the opportunity never really arose until recently when we were coming to the end of a two and half year tour with Sting.

Highlight of the Show
I must have the best seat in the house. The whole show is a highlight. I get excited right at the start of the show when I hear Arcade Fire and I move into a different gear. I’m a huge Formula One Racing fan and I think that opening moment is like when you are sitting in the car waiting for the lights to go green - you have a knot in your stomach – and then suddenly you are off! After that it’s all a whirlwind ride and you only finally slow down after the last song – though it may take couple of hours to land and come back to normal.

You have moments like in ‘Streets…’ when you look out and you see everyone leaping up and down. You can see the magic and you realize that it is amazing how many people they touch. It is much more than just a pop or rock show and it is great to be part of it.

Back
Top Bottom