(07-06-2005) Bono plays down deal hopes - Ireland Online*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bono plays down deal hopes

Rock star Bono tonight delivered a downbeat assessment on the prospects of a G8 deal for African development.

After meeting with world leaders in Gleneagles, the U2 frontman said: “There is a sense that there is not a deal.”

The Irish musician said there had been “very tough meetings today, some risks being taken on both sides”.

But he added: “There is a sense that there is not a deal at the moment.

“A lot has been accomplished but there is no sense that there is a real deal, a 50 billion-dollar deal, we are not there on that.

“The trade language, we are not there on that.

“The debt stuff, we are there on that.

“It is tricky... These people are making very tricky choices back home.”

Bono singled out German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder as a man particularly under pressure as he faces forthcoming elections.

The German leader was “almost” ready to commit to 0.7% of national income in aid.

“We want to say to him, we know this is difficult, we know he’s going into an election, and we know the finance mechanism that has to be agreed for Germany to get to 0.7% is critical,” Bono said.

Chancellor Schroeder wants to support the French idea of an air tax to raise money for development but this is also a difficult idea to win over voters with at home, Bono added.

All the leaders needed to hear from their own voters that they wanted a deal done, he said.

“I’ve never felt it like this before. It is so important, still in the last 24 hours, that they hear from their constituents.

“There is still all to play for in the next 24 hours ... One last push.”

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/story.asp?j=122037220&p=yzzx378xx

BONO - DON'T GIVE UP THE FIGHT!

There are millions of people around the world who support the white band movement.

Many of us are here for the long haul.:yes:

I agree and they have the power to change what is wrong. Not doing enough, in my opinion. If even 1000 people died everyday in Europe or the U.S from appreventable disease. Something would be done, pronto.

Bono is a saint, he really is...
Keep on the fight good man, we are all behind you in this crusade
You deserve beatification, imediately, and the Nobel Peace Price!

Palace Hero, the United States can't handle its OWN debts, and we (supposedly) have a clean slate.

But as you know, debt is only a small part of the problem. It's easy to cancel a debt. But as long as there is no economy, as long as there is no income coming in, Africa will not be able to get on its feet even if every leader in that continent was Nelson Mandela's disciple. That's the TRADE part. As long as there are scandalous concessions being made to American and European farmers, and garment industry, etc, that prevent African foodstuffs and textiles from being sold on the world markets for a reasonable price, until you can walk into Macy's or Wal-Mart and buy a pair of pants with "made in Ghana" or "made in Nigeria" on the label, there is no progress, and Africa will be "aid mode" forever.

It's doable. You don't know how thrilled I was when I saw raincoats in a Sears last year that had "made in Armenia" tags. Armenia is the poorest of the ex-Soviet territories and locked in conflict with Azerbaijan. They have lost one-fourth of their population since 1991 becuase of emigration, and the effects of a Turkish blockade that keeps the lights off most of the year. People have starved and frozen to death in Armenia in recent years. The place doesn't look much better than Chechnya on a bad day. But they're exporting textiles.

PS. I'm waiting for the rapturous pics of Bono and Bush to come out. Proving that as usual, Bono will have beenused, and Bush get the political benefit while not forking over a dime. Why can't he tell Bush what he told the Candian PM?

And that's the last overtly political thing I'll say in this forum. I promise:wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom