(07-03-2006) U2 get vertigo as Dublin's 'twin towers' given go-ahead - 24Dash UK*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2 get vertigo as Dublin's 'twin towers' given go-ahead

Publisher: Jon Land

Two towers that are set to form a new Gateway to Dublin have been given the green light by Ireland's Minister for the Environment.

The 'twin towers' project for Dublin Docklands includes the construction of two 35 storey towers north and south of the mouth of the river Liffey.

The Minister's decision now clears the way for the increase in height of both the U2 and Point Village Towers to 100 meteres and the expansion of the Point Theatre to a 12,000 capacity venue.

A major retail development in the area has also been given the green light.

The U2 Tower - designed by Irish-based Burdon Dunne Architects/Craig Henry Architects - will be home to the band's new state-of-the-art recording studios on its top two floors.

"This is excellent news for the area as these amendments guarantee the development of significant cultural and leisure facilities which will drive the revitalization of the Docklands," said Paul Maloney, Chief Executive of the Docklands Authority.

"With significant expansion in retail and entertainment provision, the area will be become a magnet and dynamic destination for all both day and night."

"The approval of the development of both the U2 Tower and the Point Village Tower to 100 metres in height at opposite sides of the river will certainly form a citywide landmark and a dramatic architectural gateway into Dublin city", added Lar Bradshaw, Chairman of the Docklands Authority.

The amendment to the North Lotts Planning Scheme also included expansion of the Point Theatre to a 12,000 capacity venue and approval of the development of the Point Village which will provide 25,000 square metres of retail space in the area. The Point Village area also takes in the Point Square where the Luas Line will terminate.

Further amendments in the approved Grand Canal Dock Planning Scheme include the extension of the redevelopment of the campshires as a public amenity from Sir John Rogerson's Quay along the Britain Quay.

Grand Canal Dock is already home to many business and residential developments, and will also house the spectacular Grand Canal Square designed by Martha Schwartz, as well as the Studio Libeskind designed Grand Canal Theatre.

The approved amendments will provide for the further development of the Docklands in line with the Docklands Master Plan and help deliver further landmark buildings for the area in an integrated fashion.

The Grand Dock Canal and North Lotts schemes are two of the main development areas in the Docklands.

The Docklands Authority had sought the amendments to its planning schemes in the Grand Canal Dock and North Lotts areas to take into account the changed development environment in the areas.

Following a public consultation process, the amended Planning Schemes were submitted by the Docklands Authority to the Minister for approval under Section 25 of the Dublin Docklands Act 1997.

At the time the plans for the U2 tower was first announced, the band objected to the proposals.

Bono said: "I don’t really want to be at the top of the building and stuck inside."

However, he added that although the new building was not the best thing for U2, it was the best thing for Dublin itself.

"The new Dublin is something I’m very excited about," he said.

http://www.24dash.com/content/news/viewNews.php?navID=7&newsID=7637

So how long do these things take? If the band are on the usual timetable for a fall 2008 album or thereabouts, it doesnt seem like it would be ready in time - HQ is still standing, yes?

I don't know aobut you, but going from a situation where you were "organic"--where you could just step out the front door for a smoke or a coffee break and stroll along the waterfront, and where you had old architecture around you--to a situation where you have to take an elevator more than 30 storeys up and have to take it all the way down for a smoke break--(or whatever) would be a huge deterrent to MY creative experience. I think the ultimate insult here will be that daily feeling of being an afterthought. After all U2 have done for the country, they could at least have preserved their studio as a National Historic Treasure or something. I know that Dublin is a bad at times as my hometown of Albany, NY for preserving its historic past, but this is beyond insult. I've been ot Dublin and know what a change this will be. Now it's just like "Oh, we have to find somewhere to put the band's recording studio as they don't want to change neighborhoods." Add this to Dockers Pub being gone and I don't know what it'll do.

On the fan side, for most of their career, they have always allowed fans access to the band around the studio, When things got too hectic at Windmill Lane, they moved, but there was always that bench where you were pretty much guarunteed an audience with someone in the band if you waited around long enough. How many people have such meet and greet stories? Now, if the band tried to have a "fan bench" outside the building, the management would think the fans were "loitering" and a nuicance, if I know zoninglaws. This is indeed an Era coming to an end and I hope the fans, as well as the band, don't take it too hard.

And having the guts to callit the "U2 Tower" is the final insult. Better the olf Docklands area being preserved and calling it the U2 Building. it really was.

Last edited:
From "seven towers" to "Twin towers". They own most of the rest of Dublin anyway, so why not? :wink: The view from the top would be most impressive.

sue4u2 said:
I know how most feel about Bono "quotes", and we've heard this before..but still
:hyper:

Even bigger than the real thing . . .
Monday July 3rd 2006

The band's most recent album, 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb', has sold 10 million albums around the world and Bono has said that a follow-up may be released later this year.

Forgive me if I remain hopeful we don't have to wait for the studio to be built before we see the next album..

For the rest of the report:

http://www.unison.ie/entertainment/news/stories.php3?ca=228&si=1645817

Back
Top Bottom