(06-5-2007) Makeover plans for U2 hotel on ice as Council raises questions*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anu

Editor
Staff member
There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you
by Larissa Nolan

U2’s plans to turn the Clarence into "the most spectacular hotel in Europe" are on hold, after council officials issued a deadline to the supergroup to respond to a lengthy list of questions about the project.

Dublin City Council’s planning department says the status of the planning application is currently dormant, as it awaits a response from the owners, due before the end of September.

Bono and the Edge, who own the hotel in trendy Temple Bar in Dublin, want to take over the five protected structure buildings adjoining the Clarence and to erect a spaceship-like glass dome "skycatcher" building on the top in a €150m revamp.
It would quadruple the size of the hotel, transforming it into the biggest in the city, visible from both north and south of the Liffey.

The department has written to the hotel owners, the Clarence Partnership, requesting answers to what it describes as 18 key questions.

The department points out that under Section 57 of the Planning and Development Act states that authorities will not grant planning permission for the demolition of a protected structure, save in exceptional circumstances.

It states that it requires the strongest justification to do so and wants the owners to address this matter in detail. A hefty portion of the queries relate to the ambitious skycatcher glass dome, a Viking boat-shaped atrium stretching from the basement to the rooftop.

The council has also asked the applicants to clarify the numbers and purpose of all proposed openings onto both Wellington Quay and Essex Street East. The council wants more information and details on drawings and plans and requests clarification on the nature of the proposed retail area. Alise Devlin of the planning department said the Clarence Partnership must provide this information before the end of September. "We made the request on March 26 and they have six months from that date to respond," she said.

"We have not heard anything back from them yet, but that is not very unusual in these cases. So at the moment, the status of the application is dormant."

Bono plans to demolish the Georgian building and transform the 44-bedroom boutique hotel into a nine-storey, 141-bedroom five-star hotel and spa complete with signature restaurant, bar and fresh food market.

The new hotel will encompass the former Dollard printing works and four other Georgian buildings on Wellington Quay.

Objectors to the plan include An Taisce, the heritage trust, who say the proposal is completely inappropriate for both the protected structures and their historic city-centre location, and the Irish Georgian Society, which believes that the development would dwarf adjoining buildings and dominate the Liffey quays.

The Clarence hotel was established in 1852 and bought by Bono and the Edge in 1992. Despite being the hotel of choice for international celebrities, it has incurred losses of €1.2m.

http://www.u2france.com/spip.php?article10627

I would go ahead and do wat they want to do and then plead ignorance, stating that they thought being "freemen" of Dublin meant they could do wat they bloomin well please :wink:

What a bunch of hypocrites. The Dublin City Corporation, I mean. Not that I support any more of Temple Bar being razed (I've been there, and it's smaller than my street corner and a beautiful spot) but I LOVE how the DCC just decided, with no opportunity for input from the band, to raze both the Docklands Pub and the band's Dockyards recording studio. What's next, Windmill Lane? IMO, anything associated with U2 should be a National Historical Monument; all U2 sites in Dublin have been, for more than 2 decades, tourist attractions to rival Temple Bar or the GPO. But because it's U2 for some reason the Powers That Be have some sort of twisted pleasure in sticking it to them. It's the thing that Bono described, the Irish urge of, in looking at the Mansion On The Hill, instead of saying "someday I'm going to live there," the Irish say, "Someday I'm going to get that bastard." Hypocrisy indeed. The band have done more for their country than anyone in the modern area. They've put Ireland back on the map and the least the DCC could do is ensure the survival of places like their recording studios....

I'm a big fan of U2, but this hotel plan turns me off. A hotel like that in Las Vegas ,OK But leave the Georgian buildings of Dubliin alone!!Dublin has been changed enough already.
Critter

I don't know if the idea of a 5 star hotel at that location will fly. why does a hotel have to be bigger in order to be better? Keep the buildings as is (at least that my opinion:huh: )

Well, the Clarence hotel is great at this condition , the writers in Tea Room are very polite, the food is marvellous...I can not imagine a skycatcher instead of this as -to my wiew- it would not fit to its unique centered environment, at the banks of River Liffey.

It's odd, but when Bono first bought the hotel he was full of guff about the uniqueness of the building, etc.

Here's the latest on this story, from today's The Independent:

U2 hotel pool plan may not wash with council

Sunday September 30 2007

U2's plan to revamp the Clarence Hotel was saved in the nick of time, when Bono responded to a list of tricky queries from planning officials on the final day of deadline.

The rock supergroup had applied to Dublin City Council to carry out a €150m development of the Clarence, their landmark property in the heart of the capital. But the council's planning department said they had to answer a list of 18 key questions before a deadline date of September 26. They submitted their answers that morning.

U2's biggest challenge was to justify why they should be allowed to demolish four neighbouring listed buildings as part of their idea of making the Clarence, "the most spectacular hotel in Europe", erecting a skycatcher atrium resembling a spaceship on the top which would be visible from all over the city.

Under Section 57 of the Planning and Development Act, authorities will not grant permission for the demolition of a protected structure, save in exceptional circumstances and such a move requires the strongest justification for doing so.

It was a challenge they failed, according to former head of An Taisce, Michael Smith.

Mr Smith said: "Protected structures can only be demolished in really exceptional cases. But in U2's response, they give reasons such as how their type of clientele will want the use of a huge swimming pool and they need to knock buildings to get the pool in. I can't see how that is a justifiable reason.

"If the council grants permission, I believe it will be illegal and I will go all the way to the High Court myself to stop it."

Sources say Bono and The Edge -- who own the hotel along with their property partner Paddy McKillen -- have little hope that their plans will go ahead. According to one: "Bono says he wants to change the mediocrity of Dublin. He says he hardly goes in to the Clarence anymore, because it is has so far made such losses that he finds it too depressing.

"But he knows that the issue with demolishing a protected building will not go away and even if the council grant permission, An Bord Pleanala will reject it at appeal."

Bono wants to transform the 44-bedroom boutique hotel into a nine-storey, 141-bedroom five-star hotel and spa complete with signature restaurant, bar and fresh food market, encompassing the former Dollard printing works and four other Georgian buildings on Wellington Quay.

Objectors to the plan include An Taisce, the heritage trust and the Irish Georgian Society.

Bono and The Edge bought the hotel in 1992. Despite being the choice for international celebrities, it has incurred significant losses.

Back
Top Bottom