(06-4-2007) 20 Different Covers Could Grace the Bono-edited Vanity Fair*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anu

Editor
Staff member
There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you
20 Different Annie Liebovitz Covers Could Grace the Bono-edited Vanity Fair

By Stephanie Smith

Bono and Vanity Fair editor in chief Graydon Carter clearly are thinking big when it comes to the magazine's Africa-themed July issue, which is being guest edited by the rock star-philanthropist.

While multiple covers on magazine issues have become almost standard, Carter told The New York Times in March that he was out to do more than ever. How many more? Not five, not 10 — sources close to the title said it could publish as many as 20 different covers, all shot by Annie Leibovitz. Though it is not known who or what the covers will be, sources believe they will reflect Africa and its supporters in some way. A spokeswoman for the magazine declined to comment on the covers.

The effort is part of what Bono told The New York Times in the same March article is his goal of making the July issue "a best-selling issue of Vanity Fair, I want to make a hit record."

And insiders say Bono has been extremely hands-on throughout his tenure — editing story drafts and headlines and even giving feedback on photography. He's also been very vocal about stories he supports. Insiders describe him as a pleasure to work with, as well as smart and down-to-earth. Perhaps it helps that this isn't the first guest-editing gig he's had: Bono performed similar duties at The Independent in London and the French newspaper Libération .

While newsstand sales will determine whether or not Bono has crafted a "hit record" for the monthly, at least he won't be disappointed in the advertising. The issue will carry more than double the ad pages of the July 2006 one — 105 pages compared with 49 — and will set a record for the title's biggest July issue ever. "It's Vanity Fair, it's Bono, it's a special Africa issue — this is a very big deal. And it reflects a huge trend in the marketplace, which is social responsibility," said Edward Menicheschi, vice president and publisher of Vanity Fair. Year-to-date, ad pages are up 21.5 percent.

http://www.wwd.com/memopad/article/116382

I don't have the link, but I saw the 20 covers on a VF website. Some of the people on the covers are people whose philosophies I can get behind (Tutu, Maya Angelou, Bono)....others not so much (Bush and Condi anyone?)

Yeah... when I saw the cover with Bono and Condi I was like :eyebrow:

Thankfully there was another, acceptable cover with him on it

I ordered two copies of the mag bith both Bono covers. I like the idea of the image chain from cover to cover. I don't care about Condi being there, don't look at her anyway. The pictures of Bono are just :drool:. I am very curious about this issue and cannot wait to read it. Again, I think it's a great idea by Bono. He does whatever can reach as many people as possible.

I have a subscription. I got the cover with Chris Rock and Maya Angelou.

Found the Bono (without Condi but with ... is it the Queen of Jordan? I don't have it at hand) at Target. They only had Don Cheadle (who's nothing to sneeze at!) and Iman (ditto!) in the magazine seciton. But the checkout counters had tons of them. Try there if you can't find one elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom