(06-30-2006) Tech Group Solicits U2's Bono for Support -- AP*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Tech Group Solicits U2's Bono for Support

(SAN JOSE, Calif.) - He's bent the ear of world leaders on social causes. He's a Nobel Peace Prize nominee. He's a rock star. But could the lead singer of U2 also become a front man for a grass-roots campaign seeking to change how the music industry does business?

The Free Software Foundation hopes so.

The Boston-based advocacy group launched an online petition Thursday asking Bono to take a stand with them against copy-protection technologies that they say unnecessarily restrict consumers' rights to freely use the music and art they've purchased.

Digital rights management technology is commonly used by companies such as Apple Computer Inc. or Microsoft Corp. to support the companies' own business strategies and satisfy the music industry's concerns about unfettered distribution of songs over the Internet.

For instance, Apple's DRM technology limits users to copy songs they've downloaded from its iTunes Music Store to up to five different computers at a time.

The Free Software Foundation, which is also behind the license that's used by the Linux operating system and other open source software, wants to eliminate DRM restrictions through its so-called Defective By Design campaign. It contends that more liberal access and usage models will actually help increase sales by widening the base of art lovers.

The campaign has already held demonstrations outside Apple retail stores and the offices of the Recording Industry Association of America. Now it is circulating the online petition targeting Bono, whose rock band also has its own branded Apple iPod music player.

A representative for Bono did not immediately return a call for comment Thursday.

--Associated Press

The Inquirer has an update on this story here.

Last edited:
What really should give your brains a stir is contemplating what Bono might have siad or done aobut a story like this 20 yrs ago. I'd bet he feels MUCH differently now that he is living in the Mansion on the Hill and seeing things from the top of the fence....

Teta040 said:
What really should give your brains a stir is contemplating what Bono might have siad or done aobut a story like this 20 yrs ago. I'd bet he feels MUCH differently now that he is living in the Mansion on the Hill and seeing things from the top of the fence....

I thought (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) that musicians would be the ones to benefit from this type of thing. It would likely mean an end to fixed pricing (higher prices for more popular bands like U2, in particular) and more music sales all around. I doubt we'll hear from them about it one way or the other though.

I hope Bono will come out in favor of this Free SOftware Foundation's position. One thing that really bothers me is some of the over-aggressive tactics being undertaken by the music industry and the jerks known as the RIAA. I like using iTunes but cannot stand that the files come in a "protected format" (m4p) that can't play on other players or be burned to mp3 cds. I bought those songs and I want maximum portability for my purchase. Plus it makes it a real headache to burn music cd's with a mix of mp3 and m4p files because maybe the program i currently own won't burn m4p files.

What we really need is congress to take a stand against these overly aggressive tactics that produced the m4p file format in the first place. The marketplace will work just fine without them. I don't know anyone that thinks 99 cents a song is too much to pay and people feel better about purchasing good quality rather than getting it for free and maybe getting busted or maybe getting a low-quality file.

When VHS movies came out and *GASP* people could copy them the movie industry freaked out and all of a sudden they thought it was the end of the world. They tried everything to make copying difficult or even completely illegal with no exceptions. Instead of killing the movie industry as many had feared, it actually turned into whole new growth segment. The same thing is happening with dvd's that can, if one wants to go through the effort, be copied. The music inustry has not learned this lesson, however, and needs to be legislated to do so.

File sharing should not even be illegal in the first place but, hey, that's the law. But that's where they need to draw the line. Get rid of all encrypted file formats for any music purchased legally online. We bought it and we deserve to be able to use it in whatever format we wish.

I just signed the petition at defectivebydesign(dot)org

What is particularly cool:

"We will deliver a printed version of the petition with your name on it to Bono and request that he be the final signer, creating a unique piece of history in the fight for digital freedom.

We will then randomly select one of you to receive the printed (and signed) version."

Cypress, I agree re the mp4 thing. My fiance an I are still in the stone age of the mp3 players that actually play mp3 discs, not digital files. I've never used iTunes (well, except for the free Bono vid download last week) because mp4s are worthless to me. I'd be happy to purchase files I could actually USE, but until then I'll have to stick to SoulSeek. And yeah, I have been served a cease and decist from the RIAA before but I really don't think I'm the one the problems here.

And yeah, I have been served a cease and decist from the RIAA before but I really don't think I'm the one the problems here.

Yikes! You be careful LivLuv, I hear they're a bit lawsuit-happy nowadays.

Jobs and U2 was the perfect match. All the labels gave it away to Apple; actually eveyone´s angry at them - the music industry is angry because Jobs will not give them a piece of the profit he makes with the hardware. I´ve heard the majors complain about the fixed pricing structure too. And then the consumers bitch about DRM.

Bono has no reason to turn against Apple. The Band and the Apple have been found cuddling. We may hate iTunes for their DRM system, but frankly, there are really enough people who are stealing the music. For every song sold online there are ten illegal copies. I am against Apple´s DRM system but figure it, how could they ever sell that much Hardware without it? You need an iPod to play iTunes. That´s Jobs´ original deal. If he ever changes that, he´s stupid.

Hell, remember everyone going through the roof on THIS very forum when the U2 iPod was released. I didn´t believe in in its success first. But Jobs had it all planned. He took a risk and now he cashes in.

You think it would make a difference if Bono advocated a strategic change? No way. The majors just lost their last quarrel against Jobs (about variable pricing).

Back
Top Bottom