(06-29-2005) COBL on VH1 -- Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
COBL on VH1

Interference.com member sue4u2 reports seeing the video for "City of Blinding Lights" on VH1 this morning. While the video has been on the internet for several weeks, this is the first report of the video being on American television.

I saw it this morning too, and twice more last week. It's hard to catch. I'm hoping they'll play it more.

Can someone confirm something for me

Ok so i was up absurdly early this morning and VH1 aired a LIVE version of COBL but it didnt appear to be from Chicago and so i need to know where it is from

There is also a version that saw shot in Calgary isnt there?...havent seen that one yet

Does anyone know if MTV hits has it I think MTV isnt into playing U2 that much these days you know when jessica simpsons boots song came out thats in a lot of rotation and its a week old citys been out for almost a month and US and snubbing it. Not even MTV2s T rock or whatever there countdown is picking it up even vh1s top 20 wont even call it a new flava as a could be a countdown contender.

No

U2WaTCher said:
Does anyone know if MTV hits has it I think MTV isnt into playing U2 that much these days you know when jessica simpsons boots song came out thats in a lot of rotation and its a week old citys been out for almost a month and US and snubbing it. Not even MTV2s T rock or whatever there countdown is picking it up even vh1s top 20 wont even call it a new flava as a could be a countdown contender.

COBL has not been added to MTV or MTV2's playlist. It was taken off of "high rotation" on Much Music after just a few days...now it's in light rotation. VH1 picked up the video "officially" on June 22, and it has been played each day.

The song got off to a quick start on Mainstream and Triple A Rock stations back in the first week of June. As of today, however, the song has stalled out on both formats and has not been picked up by any other radio formats, either.

Unless something turns around quickly, this song will flop in the U.S. Worldwide, however, it is a hit song.

Re: No

beLIEve said:
Unless something turns around quickly, this song will flop in the U.S. Worldwide, however, it is a hit song.

Once again.....Hooray for U2's US marketing strategies!!!

You'd think with 25 years of experience they would have figured it out by now!!

:madspit:

VH1 played it twice durning their Jump Start show that run from 3-7am pacific time. Unfortunately they played it back to back with the Coldplay video which will only fuel the comparisions. They also played Mariah 3x's, Black Eyed Peas 2x's, Coldplay 3x's, Kelly Clarkson 2x's, and R. Kelly in the closet vid 3x's, they don't have enough variety! Glad it was on Tivo and I could skip most of it. I didn't like the video COBL very much because it was mostly dark or in silhouette, not enough clear shots of the group. But it was very much like the Vertigo concerts in the states.

I think it has to do with the fact that singles aren't as successful here in the US as they are in other parts of the world. I don't see PM spending alot of money promoting something that doesn't sell.
The video is good and has alot of imagery that is all U2 :cool: even if it is somewhat contrived.
Still think it would have been better if it had been actual concert
footage. The magic is missing.
But then again only us die hard fans know this isn't a concert but then again it is.. sort of..

I tuned in at 5:15 am this morning and it was the first video I saw when I turned on the TV. It wasn't played again untill 8:10ish which almost caused me to be late for work.
Just can't walk out on any U2 video. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom