(06-28-2004) Rumor: U2 To Perform at Democratic National Convention - Interference*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Rumor: U2 To Perform at Democratic National Convention

Ed. Note: Please understand we are reporting this as a rumor, not as fact. As noted by our readers, U2 has not endorsed an American political party in the past.

An Interference reader has written in to state that while listening to radio station WAAF in Boston she heard that U2 will be in attendance and performing at the Democratic National Convention in Boston. The convention will take place July 26-29th, 2004. We are currently working to confirm this story/rumor. Stay tuned.

Citing the "band's affection for Boston," as a possible reason to believe the band might show/perform, the Boston radio station is also still working on the story.

Thanks to Delphine!

Last edited:
I HOPE THIS ISN'T TRUE!

Bono knows the importance of keeping neutral in partisan politics, especially in the USA in order to ensure the continued (and hopefully increased) funding of the Global AIDS and anti-poverty programs he has worked so hard for! :up:

I hope that the B-man will REFUSE this invitation (if given) to appear at a clearly partisan event held during the Democratic convention. :yes:

BONO, PLEASE CONTINUE TO STAY ABOVE THE POLITICAL FRAY!

GRACE FINDS BEAUTY IN EVERYTHING....:hug: :bono: :heart: :heart: :wave:

Heh heh heh.

Likely not, since he said at the DATA rally in Philly "We're not trying to get any person elected, we're trying to get our *cause* elected..."

Springsteen isn't touching the "counterconvention" in NYC, so I doubt U2 will either.

Anyone with the sense God gave little green apples can look and tell he doesn't like Shrub one bit tho. *smirk*

Being in Boston, I'll keep my ears open.....

Last edited:
True, Bono has been uninvolved in any US parties with his social work, but with all the rumors about the angry guitars on the new album and the post 9.11. world likely the influence - what if U2 will once again venture into their political side?

No, U2's not performing there. I don't think that would make sense either. I heard on WFNX that Bono will actually be appearing at Symphony Hall for A Tribute to Ted Kennedy. I'm totally fine with that because Teddy appears to have supported the AIDS cause greatly. (Plus, I love the Kennedys, but I'm sure not all of you do.)

Democratic National Convention

U2 have been steadfast in remaining ambigous regarding their political affiliations. I can not BELIEVE that they would make such a mistake.

I sure hope U2 does not jump on the bandwagon with all the Hollywood Idiots (i.e. Michael Moore, Barbara Streisand, Leonardo DiCaprio, etc.)

U2 has already proven it is possible to be politically active without affiliating with one particular party. No reason to throw that all away now.

u2 playing at Democratic National Convention

The rumor on the radio station also said that the Red Hot Chili Peppers were going to be there too. Hey guys, easy....U2 played at President Clinton's TV Ball when he became elected...so what is the difference??? I don't think U2 is trying to be political as that I think Bono wants to get the backing of Presidential Candidate Kerry for the whole DATA campaign. So, if the rumor is true, I think it could be for the Africa Debt/Aids relief, that is all. Many people are saying this around Boston, so I think it may be true.

:eyebrow:

If it were to gain Kerry's for DATA support Bono would more then likely be seen simliar to the Liberal Convention in Canada.. not in his U2 role with the band..

having said that as we all know this is a rumour and to be taken as such Interference has not heard any confirmation on it and not claimimg it to be true just passing on the info to you as we hear it.

Mango said:
I sure hope U2 does not jump on the bandwagon with all the Hollywood Idiots (i.e. Michael Moore, Barbara Streisand, Leonardo DiCaprio, etc.)

U2 has already proven it is possible to be politically active without affiliating with one particular party. No reason to throw that all away now.

You are correct in that they usually do not directly endorse a candidate. That, and the fact that Bono is more interested in pushing the DATA cause forward, and knows that bipartisan support is essential, also points to them not playing the convention.

However, if you seriously believe that U2 are not pulling for the candidate to be nominated at that convention, you are deluding yourself. Sorry. Plus, lets not forget their run-ins with Bush senior during his last campaign.

Actually... that was Larry Mullen and Adam Clayton with Michael Stipe and Mike Mills from REM. They played together as 'Automatic Baby' for a few promotional shows while they were both touring with Automatic For The People and Achtung Baby. So, no... U2 didn't perform at President Clinton's inaugural Ball, nor did they endorse or support his nomination.

If Bono is taking his AIDS campaigning seriously (and we all know he is), and if he really wants to be bipartisan and for both sides to take him seriously (and he does), and if he has any sense at all (well, obviously), then there is no way in this world or the next that this is true. They might as well call the next album "We Hate Republicans" because it would have the same results.

Rachel D. said:
If Bono is taking his AIDS campaigning seriously (and we all know he is), and if he really wants to be bipartisan and for both sides to take him seriously (and he does), and if he has any sense at all (well, obviously), then there is no way in this world or the next that this is true. They might as well call the next album "We Hate Republicans" because it would have the same results.

:up:

well said... it took bono a long time to build up the cred in washington to the point where he can walk into any office of any politician of any party and be listened to... something like this would just cause a rift, and would not be a wise thing to do IMO

i love U2 and i love the Democrats but i hope that they do not perform. I understand why they have decided not to endorse any American political party and hope they don't

There's a big difference between playing for a President after they're elected and playing for a presidential candidate prior to the election.
The first scenario is simply playing for the president of the United States, the second scenario is actively endorsing a candidate and getting involved in the election process.

There is no way that U2 will do this.

I know it is a rumor and that interference has not confirmed it. I am the one who told Interference.com about the rumor in the first place

yes I know it was you.. and we are ever grateful to such info from you and everyone.. lets us get to the bottom of it and try and seperate the truth from the rumours ..if we don't know we cant do that..so thank you

from page 14 of the 06/28/04 boston herald:

"U2 frontman Bono will be among the super-celebs making Sen. Ted Kennedy's Beautiful Day at Symphony Hall during the Democratic National Convention. Ted's office declined to confirm the names on the Tribute to Ted roster but an announcement is expected soon."

In addition, the next article mentions the Red Hot Chili peppers playing at the "Creative Coalition" party during the DNC.

U2 frontman Bono will be among the super-celebs making Sen. Ted Kennedy's Beautiful Day at Symphony Hall during the Democratic National Convention. Ted's office declined to confirm the names on the Tribute to Ted roster but an announcement is expected soon

well if any truth to that it makes more sense then all of U2 going to perform.. and it being for Ted Kennedy tribute makes more sense..but who knows

i couldnt see U2 playing at the convention but a speech by bono would not be unprecedented for a political rally as he did with canada's liberals.

again...
Boston people who want real U2 news should listen to WFNX...

AAF is ClearChannel-owned Corporate Rock, which is Republican owned, Texas-based and anti-DNC, they're told what to say and do and that includes spreading rumors...

anytime you hear something like this --
Consider The Source. :macdevil:

Johnovox said:

However, if you seriously believe that U2 are not pulling for the candidate to be nominated at that convention, you are deluding yourself. Sorry.

Easy man, that's not what I said. There is a big difference between hoping a particular candidate wins an election and abusing one's celebrity status to publicly endorse one. If U2 performs at the convention, it is akin to a public endorsement of Kerry.

IMO, celebrities should not use their status to endorse one party or the other. Just because they are famous does not give them any more political wisdom than the next person. Their opinion matters no more than mine. Any yet there are lots of sheeple out there that will vote for Kerry just because Alec Baldwin says they should.

Anyway, it goes both ways. Any celebrity (i.e. Kelsey Grammar, Toby Keith, etc.) who publicly endorses Bush are as big of idiots as the left-wing Hollywood hacks.

Back
Top Bottom