(06-27-2005) Dublin Night 3 -- Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Dublin Night 3

The band broke curfew and shook up the set list some to give its hometown a proper farewell. Stay tuned for reports and such. U2.com provides the set list:

Vertigo
All Because of You
Gloria
Elevation
An Cat Dubh / Into the Heart
Beautiful Day
Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Original of the Species
Bad
City of Blinding Lights
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love and Peace
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
Pride In The Name of Love
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

Zoo Station
The Fly
With or Without You
Vertigo

Yahweh
'40'

More from U2.com here.

Check out the International Tribune's coverage here.

Last edited:
THEY HAVE STILL NOT PLAYED 1 GOOD SONG THIS TOUR. I AM LOSING HOPE.

okay, now I'm really questioning the intentions of the two posters above me...are you just playing baiting games guys?!
You gotta be...:scratch:

anyway, that sounds like a lovely set, the ordering seems hot to me too...I bet it was thrilling for the audience!
cheerio!

ShellBeThere said:
okay, now I'm really questioning the intentions of the two posters above me...are you just playing baiting games guys?!

Yes, they are.

ShellBeThere said:

anyway, that sounds like a lovely set, the ordering seems hot to me too...I bet it was thrilling for the audience!
cheerio!

No I'm not playing games. Games are not my suit.

I just expect more from the worlds greatest band and don't feel they are delivering. I apologise that unlike most I wont just settle for mediocrity.

Palace_Hero said:
I just expect more from the worlds greatest band and don't feel they are delivering. I apologise that unlike most I wont just settle for mediocrity.

Agreed.

But posting stuff like "still pissweak" and leaving it there just leaves people to think you are taking the piss yourself. Also you have a record of 'humourous' posts.

But this setlist was in my opinion the best of the 3 Dublin ones, I am also told the sound quality was better than Friday.

no seriously, what's wrong with this setlist palacehero?
Got some boysongs, interesting ordering...sure, they keep the war and the africa sections, and the dreaded vertigoX2 (don't go into that please)...but just to remind me, what is bad for you here? (i.e., are you unpleased that there's no pop, or want lovetown stuff or what?)
cheers!

I'd be pretty happy with that setlist if that's what they played at the concert I'm going to this fall. Hopefully this means they aren't totally committed to playing Vertigo twice at every concert and I might finally get a chance to experience "40" live. :drool:

no, vertigoX2 is still there, they just don't end on it...
i like the controversial encore dealie, but this sort of is a compromise..I can't wait to hear the boots for this!

It was a privilege to witness last night's gig,it was better than saturday's and i didn't think that was possible.They just didn't want to leave the stage last night,they were like the fans,taking in every minute.Nothing will beat last night for me,it was an amazing experience.

claytons edge said:
It was a privilege to witness last night's gig,it was better than saturday's and i didn't think that was possible.They just didn't want to leave the stage last night,they were like the fans,taking in every minute.Nothing will beat last night for me,it was an amazing experience.

Still no "new"songs but still one hell of an evening for those who attended I think..very nice set...!!!!

ShellBeThere said:
no seriously, what's wrong with this setlist palacehero?
Got some boysongs, interesting ordering...sure, they keep the war and the africa sections, and the dreaded vertigoX2 (don't go into that please)...but just to remind me, what is bad for you here? (i.e., are you unpleased that there's no pop, or want lovetown stuff or what?)
cheers!

The length is great but for a last hometown gig I think it isn't a top effort. And anyway it is just a has of redulars and adding almost all the rotated songs.

I want to see less basic, overdone songs. In this list I'd include Elevation, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet and Pride. Whilst I appreciate all but Bullet are crowd pleasers, I think at this stage in the band's career playing 'pleasers' reguarly is taking the easy route. If they could make some of their back catalogue into classics, THAT is the sign of a great band.

Make Please the new Sunday Bloody Sunday, make Exit the new Bullet. I appreciat Elevation is only 2 tours old and has a new arrangement so if concessions were made like I describe, it is a fine inclusion.

Pride has to go, atleast from it's current position. I like the song alot and think it is a top traditional set closer. This brings me to the Africa theme. It is a noble exercise but it is shoving things in the faces of people and I don't think the effect is great enough to warrant it. Bono does enough preaching on his own away from the band anyway. when it comes to doing it in concert, well the sycophants like Jamila are hooked regardless, and whilst you might get the odd sort's head turned and a few names pledged to the one campaign, I don't think they are making any waves. And for an aging band on perhaps their last tour of such an awesome spectacle they are wasting the chance of giving people like me and the many other younger generations, or new fans the sacred experience of the Streets preceeder-Transition-Streets-Pride, which I think is a perfect formula that hasn't ever lost effect.

Like I say I appreciat them trying something new but it isn't working and it should have been realised no later than the conclusion of the first leg.

I think With or Without You is boring, I have heard Vertigo tour recordings but don't like them, I find them too close to Elevation and PopMart versions. Personally I loved the PopMart version (I'm pretty much alone on this) as it harnessed Bono's weaker voice well and had a great groove after IYWTVD. But it has just been lazy since.

I want bad more often, but that is beacuse it is my favourite song ever. I can accept Bono can't hammer it out often.

The pacing of new songs is poor. As someone who likes but doesn't love alot of new songs, to have them grouped causes a lull in the set. It needs peppering a-la PopMart, throughout the set. I also think it is a crime Crumbs hasn't been introduced, it is dying to be played live and for me was great on the Hut Dab DVD.

Bono's guitar (sound, not playing), Larry's drumming and Edge's piano melody on Running to Stand Still does not do the song justice. Again though I can accept this as it puts a different spin on the song and fits Bono's wayward dedication.

Finally, the awful Vertigo x2. I admit it is a great closer but it cannot be played at the end as a single performance. But overdoing the double performance has taken away all the novelty. If it was reserved for when the occasion merited it like on the first leg it did for a while that would be great. But playing it reguarly at the end of a set is a waste of energy for all involved.

Again I am sure anyone at the show has no problem enjoing the shows and I would too. I would enjoy every moment of the bad points I mentioned because I love this band (except for Adam). But my problem is that whilst this is all true, I think there is more there for the band to achieve then they currently are. And for a band which has based it's entire existence on striving for the best I feel let down.

Enjoy your Vertigo tour, I will lament on the fact there could be so much for instead for you.

Thanks Palacehero, I didn't notice typos and appreciate the effort you went to in specifying what you don't like. I haven't yet thought about all your points one by one, but I must say it doesn't come off that "pisspoor" would be a summary statement.
cheers!

I have to say that last night was a good showing from the band in terms of length, and everyone loves two encores, but I agree with the poster above. The 'hits' have to go and some more adventurous songs should hit these shows.

ouizy said:
I have to say that last night was a good showing from the band in terms of length, and everyone loves two encores, but I agree with the poster above. The 'hits' have to go and some more adventurous songs should hit these shows.

But U2 did that on the ZooTV and PopMart shows and got slaughtered by fans who wanted to hear the older stuff only. Whatever set list the band comes up with, whether it favors old, new or a mix, will be attacked by someone. The best the members of U2 can do is create a set list they like and hope as much of the audience as possible likes it, too.

Ok, first I gotta thank the lads for definately the best gig I have ever attended and possibly one of the best nights of my life.
Secondly, I personally couldn't have asked for a better setlist, the appearance of Bad was a welcome surprise, I had forgotten how much I loved With or Without You, and everything else was amazing. I had started to pack up after the secong Vertigo, and to end on 40, well what can I say? Stunning.
I had heard reports that people were sick of the 'politics' in the shows, but I thought he didn't go too far. Sure, there was lots about Africa and COEXISTing, but the G8 is in a week's time!Sunday Bloody Sunday just felt so right too. As Bono said, it was 80 yrs ago in Croke Park that the first Bloody Sunday happened, and to hear 80,000 people screaming 'No More' brought a tear to my eye, despite the fact the people it was aimed at probably won't give a monkey's. Oh well, we try, and I'll always remember this fantastic night.

Last edited:
One of the best.

It had Gloria, An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart, Zoo Station and the Fly and it DID NOT have Until the End of the World.

All it needs is the debut of Crumbs and Mysterious Ways

Back
Top Bottom