(06-26-2005) U2 to Donate Millions to Africa -- contactmusic*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
U2 to Donate Millions to Africa

Irish rockers U2 will donate $6 million (GBP3.3 million) of their own money towards eliminating poverty in Africa.

BONO, ADAM CLAYTON, THE EDGE and LARRY MULLAN, who will be performing at the London leg of next Saturday's (02JUL05) LIVE 8 in Hyde Park, will each make a donation from profits of their current VERTIGO tour.

A source says, "The band and their manager PAUL McGUINNESS are giving about one million euro ($1,200,000/GBP665,000) each.

"It would seem hypocritical if they were asking people to help the charity effort and weren't doing something themselves.

"But their personal gesture is not something they are going to boost."

--contactmusic

Does anybody know to what organization they donated to?

I'd like to donate some more money myself. (I've already given to the One campaign.)
Seems like they should be able to pick a good one that will ensure their money is being used wisely.

I don't believe a word of this. U2 never go public with their charitable contributions, Bono said so in a recent interview that they never would.

Great stuff!! Bono just said in an interview on U2 night (watched it right through and was thinking of my bro at the dublin gig!!) that he didn't donate because that would make him a bigger star or something...

I'm sick of non-U2 fans blabbering on about Bono's ego and them not respecting what he does for charity!!

well done boys!!

the story doesnt say U2 'went public'. it cites a source. believe it or not, it doesn't claim U2 stepped out and said 'look what we did'.

Back
Top Bottom