(06-26-2005) Glastonbury Snub for U2 -- NME*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Glastonbury Snub for U2

GLASTONBURY organiser MICHAEL EAVIS has snubbed U2 in favour of new bands for GLASTONBURY 2007.

Speaking this morning (June 26) at the event, Eavis revealed that he won’t be making any effort to book U2 when the festival returns in two years time, and instead is looking to many of the bands who starred on this year's NME Awards tour.

”I'm not doing the U2 thing again,” he said. “They’ve got to phone me now, I can tell you that.”

He added: “A lot of these new bands are creeping up fast. The best bands of this year have been Kaiser Chiefs, Razorlight, Bloc Party and there are so many of them out there who are racing up the scale. One of those are going to be headlining eventually. There’s plenty of new stuff to choose from. If U2 give me a ring I’d be delighted – but I’m not going to ring them anymore.”

Glastonbury 2005 has seen headlining performances from The White Stripes, Razorlight, Babyshambles as well as last night’s triumphant Pyramid Stage set from Coldplay - Eavis’ personal highlight of the weekend.

He said: “(My highlight was) Coldplay’s last song ‘Fix You’. I’m a real Coldplay fan. I think Chris Martin has come up with something really new in pop music. The whole concept and songwriting – it’s original music and it’s not churning out the same rock and roll music like so many other bands do year after year.”

The weekend also saw much of the festival site flooded on Friday (June 24) leaving many campers’ tents underwater following torrential rain in the early hours of the morning.

Many festival-goers were forced to uproot their tents and The Subways, Dead 60s and Black Bud had to cancel their sets.

Speaking about the bad weather, Eavis explained: “Two inches on Friday morning was a bit of nightmare as you can imagine but the greatest thing is that it hasn’t rained since – it’s been fantastic. If you have wellies on it doesn’t make any difference with the mud. It does stimulate the character a little bit as a kind of fun factor rather than boring continuous hot sun which makes people lethargic.”

He added: “It’s very difficult for the crew – especially for the electricians. They started here about 35 years ago and they’re so good at their job they’re going into Afghanistan after the war and supplying electricity from what they’ve learnt here. It’s a fantastic training ground for crisis.”

Summing up Glastonbury 2005, Eavis said: “(It’s been) pretty damn good. Wherever I go people seem to love the festival more and more every year. That’s the people who keep me going – the people out there in their wellie boots and just enjoying themselves. It’s really inspiring for me.”

Today at the closing day of the event will see performances from Brian Wilson, Van Morrison, Basement Jaxx and Primal Scream.

--NME

Why would U2 want to play that festival when they havent ever played there in the past?

This man sounds like a jerk.

Maybe U2 fans don't fancy slogging around in the mud for a few days...it's just as well! A lot of us would rather go to shows in places like Vegas and New York, and enjoy the cities as well as the show.

Diane L said:
This man sounds like a jerk.

Maybe U2 fans don't fancy slogging around in the mud for a few days...it's just as well! A lot of us would rather go to shows in places like Vegas and New York, and enjoy the cities as well as the show.

Don't be so daft. Glasto is by far the best musical event in the world and you cannot recreate such magic in Americana spit polish shite like Vegas & N.Y.

U2's loss, they spend too much time putting out boring Vertigo tour shows and labouring on about the world's poor.

They're a rock band, or atleast were, once.

Don't be so daft. Glasto is by far the best musical event in the world and you cannot recreate such magic in Americana spit polish shite like Vegas & N.Y.

U2's loss, they spend too much time putting out boring Vertigo tour shows and labouring on about the world's poor.

They're a rock band, or atleast were, once. Apparently you don't really care for U2 much. Then why post, you feel the need to put other people down? Also it seems that youy don't care for the world much or other people. I don't have to explain what U2 stand for and what they have always stood for. Love, Peace, and being of help to people that are less fortunate in this world of ours. Do you work? Do you know what it is like to be of service and to feel good being Of God's work? Yeah apparently for those boring Vertigo tours going on, they are able to take their own money and give it to another country that really needs it. What can you say for yourself and how you have contributed to this life that you live? Also I am American and I would appreciate if you keep your hate issues and opinions to yourself. by the way God bless Peace :wave: ;)

Last edited:
Gotta side with Eavis on this one. A good Glasto set can do wonders for a band's reputation. From what I've heard he's tried to get U2 in the past but they haven't made the effort. There's no reason why they couldn't have played there this year as part of their tour.

U2 used to play festivals as a young band, why did they stop?? They're far too inflexible as a band, only playing nowadays when they have something to promote.

In an interview with Jo Whiley over here in the UK to promote HTDAAB bono said the band would love to play but they like to have complete artistic control over their set in terms of being filmed and as the BBC have the filming rights and not Dreamchaser thr band know they would lose this that is the reason they have never played. Eavis has stated on many occasions that he trys every year to get them.

sounds like all parties are happy then :shrug:

If Eavis has tried in the past, then I can understand his frustration.
If U2 like to have artistic control, then I can understand why they wouldn't want to play there.

Not exactly a marriage made in heaven. And to be honest, I never saw U2 pulling off the Glasto thing too well anyway.

mysticchild said:

They're a rock band, or atleast were, once. Apparently you don't really care for U2 much. Then why post, you feel the need to put other people down? Also it seems that youy don't care for the world much or other people. I don't have to explain what U2 stand for and what they have always stood for. Love, Peace, and being of help to people that are less fortunate in this world of ours. Do you work? Do you know what it is like to be of service and to feel good being Of God's work? Yeah apparently for those boring Vertigo tours going on, they are able to take their own money and give it to another country that really needs it. What can you say for yourself and how you have contributed to this life that you live? Also I am American and I would appreciate if you keep your hate issues and opinions to yourself. by the way God bless Peace :wave: ;)

I am 18, I love U2, run my own business and was in the top 35 donators to third world relief in 2005, amongst Australian individuals.

quadcaster said:
sounds like SOMEBODY is getting a little bit too big for their boots :eyebrow:

From reading the article, it looks like it's U2 that have got too big for their boots.

I think it looks bad on U2. They're a professional band - why are they afraid of how they look with BBC cameras on them? What have they got to hide?

U2 would ROCK Glastonbury. They would win over thousands on stiff NME types and go on to rule the world (well, Britain, anyway).

I am completely with Micheal Eavis on this one. He's tried and they have ummed and aaahed to much so he's given up. Fair play to the man.

I just can't imagine U2 doing even a really wonderful music festival now...when was the last time, does anyone know? that they did a 'festival' show set not promoting some cause or other?

And really, it's just sort o' nasty and silly really to say that if they were still 'a rock band' they'd be fine with playing a festival that doesn't give them the control they have always wanted to have and that's run by someone who's clearly got a little axe to grind with them..

cheers all!

Yes, the whole thing about them not playing there because they won't have final say on how their set is broadcast is really silly on U2's part and makes them look a bit calculated... and Glastonbury is hardly a "little rock festival"!!?

I think its a real shame they haven't played Glastonbury yet. Apart from anything it would give them a chance to play to a whole new group of people who might not ordinarily buy their records.

And Glastonbury is anything but a little rock festival. Just look at some of the bands that have played there over the years.

financeguy said:

From reading the article, it looks like it's U2 that have got too big for their boots.

nah, havn't you seen U2's boots? they're huuuuuuge!

and you know there must be reasons u2 don't want to play. i don't know too much about the glastonbury fest. who has played there in the past?

can anyone think of ideas why they wouldnt play?

Potential reasons why;

a) Festivals are for multiple bands and fans of multiple bands. U2 could 'swamp' the festival. It would flat out suck if you didn't care for U2 at all and went to the festival to see band X and were as diehard about them as people in here are about U2, only to find that 10,000 U2 fans were camped at the front of the stage all day waiting around without a care in the world for some or all of the other acts. I don't think this would necessarily happen for Glastonbury though, particularly this years with U2 concerts scheduled nearby, but it certainly would be true if it were to happen too far outside of the U2 touring cycle.

b) Listen to U2 performances at festivals, any post Live Aid. If it sounds a tad stripped back and bare and rushed, there's a reason, and that's the reason why they'll play a charity festival for a few songs, but won't play a full hour long set at one of the big music festivals. U2 live is NOT the sound of 4 guys playing. It can be for a few songs, but not a full set and I'd imagine that if U2 were to rock out Glastonbury, they'd want to do it at full strength - and it would be infinitely important that they do so, the Glastonbury type crowd is exactly what they've lost lately - and that would create such a logistical nightmare that I'd doubt either U2 or the festival organisers would really like to deal with it or it's risk. Think about that one. U2 want everything on their terms for a reason. It will be interesting to hear what songs they play and how they play them at Live8.

Suppose Glastonbury hold 100,000 people? 200,000?? Well whatever it is, why would U2 play on a stage that isn't even theirs, to some people who may not even be their fans, split the money with a bunch of other bands when U2 could easily draw the same amount of people on their own and take it all.

That is why U2 will never do festivals. They aren't for big bands.

The_acrobat said:
Suppose Glastonbury hold 100,000 people? 200,000?? Well whatever it is, why would U2 play on a stage that isn't even theirs, to some people who may not even be their fans, split the money with a bunch of other bands when U2 could easily draw the same amount of people on their own and take it all.

That is why U2 will never do festivals. They aren't for big bands.

Acrobat, Glastonbury is a national institution over here in the UK to be asked to headline is considered an honour by many artists Paul McCartney Headlined 2 years ago and said it was one of the best gigs he ever performed. Coldplay headlined the festival at the weekend. As did Radiohead last year. R.E.M. actually asked if they could play one year so to say that festivals are not for big bands is a bit wide of the mark maybe not in the USA but here they are an integral part of one's summer :wink:

I'm confused. Does U2 get total artistic control when they make TV appearances, such as on SNL or Top of the Pops? I would think that would be hard to get under those circumstances.

I'm kind of on the fence on whether they should play Glatsonbury. On one hand I think it would be cool and show that they have the guts to play "without a net." On the other hand, I can understand why it might piss off the other bands' fans if U2 fans took over the joint and weren't into the rest of the music.

For those who may not have an understanding of Glastonbury's 'meaning', I think the best way to describe it is that if you were to go to Glastonbury and blow them away, particularly as the honoured headliner, you gain a respect and part of folklore that the only equivalent in the US in terms of pure career impact currency and reach would be playing the SuperBowl halftime.

Sorry, that's poorly worded. What I mean is, as important as the SuperBowl halftime show is in getting your name and music into the living room of virtually every house in the US, a killer Glastonbury set is just as important when it comes to pure credibility.

Back
Top Bottom