(06-23-2004) Bono Apologizes for Smoking -- Irish Examiner *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Bono Apologizes for Smoking

Bono has been forced to apologise after a night of partying with pals Red Hot Chilli Peppers in Dublin went too far.

The U2 front man was having so much fun while dining with the American group last week he forgot about the city's smoking ban in public areas and lit up.

He was asked to put the cigarette out and promptly apologised.

He says, "It was the wee small hours. I was in the company of people from out of town who didn't know about the ban and for a moment nor did I.

"I was quickly reminded by the staff and a few friends. I apologised then and I apologise now."

--Irish Examiner

You've got to love the tabloid wording: "Forced to apologize", like they threatened to rough him up if he didn't. He's quite the desperado. I expect he'll next be in trouble for leaving the toilet seat up!

The next installment is interesting. Apparantly the 'smoke police' are investigating the incident and Bono may have to face trial...the first person to actually be prosecuted under this new legislation...the penalty is a ?3000 fine. Personally, I'm not in favour of it. Bono was in his own hotel and a member of staff reported the 'crime'...yes, crazy, that's what is labelled as here and although Bono has since apologised twice - the legislators have to be seen to enforce this new law and therfore could in fact make an example of Bono. A member of parliment has already ben sacked after he was caught smoking in the Dail bar a few months back...so it shall be interesting to see how far the authourities here will pursue this case.

I say he needs to open a smoking speakeasy in Dublin. It would be very popular.

If they really did force him they must believe he might potentially be a rebel leader of a dangerous outer fringe trying to rise up and eliminate the law! :lol: They must look at him as a role model and think if other people see him doing it they will fight it too or something. I still think it's a lame law.

As one legal maxim goes, "ignorance of the law excuses no one from compliance therewith." Bono can't just claim he was ignorant of the law. Perhaps he is so used to being above the law and that freedom of the city award must have gotten into him - he thinks he can change the law anytime (just like they changed the law to accomodate the second Slane concert). Also, the whole world now is trying to preach how bad smoking is for the younger generation and smoking bans are getting more rampant all over the world - yet Bono continues to be defiant, refusing to be a good example and breaking the law.

On the bright side, Bono did apoligize and that says a lot but he should not have excused himself for being ignorant of the law. But this is a non-issue anyway - Bono's cancerous vice does not affect his songwriting or the release date of the new alum or the quality of U2's music, and we are all in this board for the music and not to follow Bono's cancerous sideline vices and law-breaking-then-apologizing habits.

Cheers,

J

Jick, will you ever post something positive about U2?

He said "for a moment", not like he had no idea he can't smoke. He apologised for it and immeditaly put the cigarette out - doesn't sound like feeling he's above the law to me. Bono and the rest of U2, compared to most - if not virtually all - rock bands could easily be examples to younger people, but ultimately it's up to the younger person in question to quit smoking.

If you're here for the music, how come you so often critisize Bono?

Hey there Bono , quit! You have a great voice but maybe not in the future. Try to avoid the cancer and to save your life!

Last edited:
jick said:
As one legal maxim goes, "ignorance of the law excuses no one from compliance therewith." Bono can't just claim he was ignorant of the law. Perhaps he is so used to being above the law and that freedom of the city award must have gotten into him - he thinks he can change the law anytime (just like they changed the law to accomodate the second Slane concert). Also, the whole world now is trying to preach how bad smoking is for the younger generation and smoking bans are getting more rampant all over the world - yet Bono continues to be defiant, refusing to be a good example and breaking the law.

On the bright side, Bono did apoligize and that says a lot but he should not have excused himself for being ignorant of the law. But this is a non-issue anyway - Bono's cancerous vice does not affect his songwriting or the release date of the new alum or the quality of U2's music, and we are all in this board for the music and not to follow Bono's cancerous sideline vices and law-breaking-then-apologizing habits.

Cheers,

J

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Please, NEVER stop posting! :D

jick said:

Cheers,

J

Oh good grief. Talk about overanalysis. Has it occurred to you that maybe the man just FORGOT???? Having lived in Dublin for so long when the ban didn't exist? Or is that suggestion just a little too sensible?

sallycinnamon78 said:

Oh good grief. Talk about overanalysis. Has it occurred to you that maybe the man just FORGOT???? Having lived in Dublin for so long when the ban didn't exist? Or is that suggestion just a little too sensible?

Or was this a joke that just went completely over my head?!

Big mountain out of a mole hill.

Smoking is bad, and yes it increases the odds of getting heart disease or cancer or both, but it is a right. I'm one of those crazy people who believes that deleterious activities shouldn't be selectively banned; if you outlaw smoking in public places you should ban sky-diving in public, you should ban rock-climbing. It's stupid. Although I can see how smoking affects the health of non-users. Maybe I'm wrong...let me think...Okay, yeah. smoking should be banned in public areas....but then...shouldn't we also be as stringent against the population we all breath as a result of carbon dioxide from car engines? Think about that!

Bono shouldn't care about how the smoking affects his voice. He's given over 25 years of great music to us. That's more than Elvis gave us...more than John Lennon, Jim Morrison, and Jimi Hendrix combined. He's made he mark in history, but for his OWN good he should reconsider...I mean he's got KIDS to think about now.

Back
Top Bottom