(06-22-2005) MTV Networks to Offer Live 8 -- PRNewswire*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
MTV Networks Music Services to Offer Unprecedented Global Platform for Upcoming Live 8 Concerts

MTV & VH1 Are Exclusive LIVE U.S. Television Partners for Live 8's 'The Long Walk To Justice' Airing July 2 from 12-8pm ET/9am-5pm PT

LONDON and NEW YORK, June 22 /PRNewswire/ -- In an unprecedented global music initiative, MTV Networks services around the world will air customized programming from the upcoming Live 8 concerts being held in multiple international venues on July 2nd, potentially reaching a world-wide audience of more than 1 billion people.

In the United States alone, MTV, VH1 and MTV's college network, mtvU, will run a shared feed for the first time ever, capturing the biggest moments of this universal music effort to help fight poverty. From 12-8pm ET/9am-5pm PT, the sister networks will provide select LIVE coverage from every corner of the world, along with interviews with participating artists and fans on site, and produced packages that will look at everything from the original 1985 Live Aid concert to what is set to take place at the upcoming G8 conferences Live 8 is hoping to influence in 2005. In addition, CMT and VH1 Classic will be involved in showcasing Live 8 performances reflective of their brands in separate highlight programming the day after the concerts take place.

Outside of the United States, hourly bulletins comprised of performances, backstage interviews and specially created packages will air on MTV, VH1 and TMF (The Music Factory) brands internationally. In addition, VH1 India will broadcast 12 hours of Live 8 footage showcasing highlights from all the event venues. Finally on July 3, the day after the concerts take place, a one-hour Live 8 special with featured global performances will be made available to MTV Networks music channels around the world.

As the motivating force behind 1985's Live Aid concert, Sir Bob Geldof is leading the effort for this year's Live 8 concerts, alongside formidable international campaigns whose goals are to eradicate poverty in the world's poorest countries. "Make Poverty History" in the U.K. and in the U.S., DATA's "One" Campaign led by Bono, each with millions of supporters around the world, have joined forces for a "Global Call to Action Against Poverty."

"Our proudest moments are when we use our unique global position to help connect our audience with the important events of the day and offer a creative outlet for artists to express themselves about the issues of our time," said Judy McGrath, MTV Networks Chairman. "Live 8 is one of those moments and we're glad to join our musical brothers and sisters in every corner of the world to help shine the spotlight on ending poverty."

Commented Van Toffler, President of MTV Networks Music Group, "Music has always served as a lightning rod for social change and commentary. Over the last few weeks, an incredible passion has been building around Live 8's mission and we want to help bring that passion back to our audience. By empowering our viewers to take action against poverty, we're reinforcing the message that as world citizens, we're all in this together."

According to Live 8's Worldwide Executive Producer Kevin Wall, "America Online recognizes that the Live 8 show is gaining momentum and becoming bigger by the minute and in the spirit of the event, have decided to open the door and get it to as many people as possible. They are delighted to have MTV and VH1 come on board and contribute."

This marks the longest period MTV has gone LIVE for a televised event since Woodstock '99. Twenty years ago this July 13th, MTV: Music Television presented wall to wall coverage of the first Live Aid concert organized by Sir Bob Geldof's organization, Band Aid. A veritable who's who of rock and pop music performed from two stadiums on two continents to benefit African famine relief. Many of the now legendary artists who performed at the original Live Aid will be on hand for this year's Live 8, along with current artists from every musical genre including pop, rock, hip-hop, rap and country.

Salli Frattini, Lee Rolontz and Dave Sirulnick will Executive Produce on behalf of MTV Networks

Windmilllane said:
I find this hard to believe

Everytime I turn on MTV, the "Real World" is on.

LOL, I have to agree with you there. It's supposed to be music television... who knows what happened to the "music" part of MTV. The same goes for VH1 - they seem more interested in showing nonstop countdown shows, entertainment shows rather than music-related material.

[/gripe] :wink:

:applaud: :dancing: I truly believe this could not come at a better time for our current pop culture. :hug:

BTW, I have noticed MTV calling itself MusicAL Television lately which seems like a scapegoat so they can avoid playing videos. :eyebrow:

DAMN... They're not broadcasting live here... that's what I got from reading that, right?

:mad:

are they? :sad:

Now the only thing is to find out the times of your favorite bands. I'll check out REM, Sting, U2 (of course), ColdPlay, Pink Floyd... maybe some others.

Thanks for posting this.

I'm still trying to find out when this thing actually starts in London, whether it's at Noon or 1PM. Kinda important since I'm going and U2 is going to be on early...

Oh hell, I'm getting there earlier anyway. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom