(06-12-2005) Crazy Frog Keeps U2 from Top of UK Charts -- Stuff.co.nz*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Crazy Frog Keeps U2 from Top of UK Charts

LONDON: The Crazy Frog novelty mobile phone ring tone has topped the British pop charts for a third week running, defeating a challenge from Irish stadium rockers U2, the Official UK Charts Company said on Sunday.

Crazy Frog's version of Axel F, the theme music to the movie Beverly Hills Cop, is the first ring tone to have reached number one.

The continued popularity of the catchy "B-ding ding dididing..." tune meant Bono's U2 had to settle for second place for their new release City Of Blinding Lights, taken from their album How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

British funk outfit Jamiroquai was the top ten's other new entry at number eight with Feels Just Like It Should.

Chart risers included ex-British Army officer James Blunt, who soared six places to six with You're Beautiful, and British DJ team Audio Bullys jumped three places to seven with a remix of Nancy Sinatra's Shot You Down.

American hip-hop artist Akon's Lonely slipped one place to number three, cartoon band Gorillaz were down one in fourth place with Feel Good Inc and American R&B singer Amerie was steady at number five with 1 Thing.

American hip-hop act Black Eyed Peas fell three places to number nine with Don't Phunk With My Heart and Best Of You from American rockers Foo Fighters sank to tenth place from four.

The album charts were dominated by British band Coldplay's much anticipated X & Y, which shot straight to number one on what were anticipated to be near record sales.

Retailer HMV said it expected the album, the band's first since A Rush Of Blood To The Head in 2002, eventually to sell as many as 15 million copies.

--Stuff.co.nz

It's not actually the ring tone itself that's at number one - some twat at the ring tone company decided to release it as a single so that they could torture us even more :grumpy:

It's all the stupid pre-teens that are buying it and putting the rest of the country through hell :mad:

Who the hell keeps buying that Crazy Frog single anyway?

I've never heard anyone say they even tolerate those ringtones, let alone like them!

Yeah, strictly speaking its not actually a ringtone, just a ring tone combined into a club "Choon". We haven't yet reached levels of absurdity that see actual ring tones at number one.
As for who's buying it, it is school kids who get it cos its 'cool'. You have to consider that single sales are pittiful in the uk, 15,000 is usually enough to get no.1 these days, and the crazy frog is selling in excess of 30,000 still. Ah well.

Its a shame cos 3 no.1's from one album would be a great achievement. Still, even the mighty coldplay lost to it too! And before you damn us brits, spare a thought that we have to watch the advert for it twice (yes, twice) during every prime time ad break on tv.

Rant over.

HAHAHA! AGAIN?! It's STILL THERE?! people must be buying it for a joke to annoy people who listen to 'proper music' heh...

But that's VERY good! I had NO idea 'City of Blinding Lights' was so popular! Shows they're still a 'force' in the singles chart!

yeah. I didnt think sometimes would get number 1 and tbh i dont think COBL should be a single, but obviously U2 are reasonably popular in the single charts now. Not that it matters. What little respect i had for these charts has gone wiht this crazy frog business:(

Back
Top Bottom