(06-06-2005) AWF Raises Over $26,000 in Honor of Bono's Birthday -- PRWeb*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
The African Well Fund Raises Over $26,000 in Honor of Bono's 45th Birthday

The African Well Fund has concluded its 3rd annual fundraiser to raise funds in honor of Bono's birthday. A grand total of $26,457.92 was raised and the money will be used to fund clean water projects in Angola.

(PRWEB) -- The African Well Fund is excited to announce the grand total for the 3rd annual "Build a Well for Bono"s Birthday" fundraiser. It was a tremendous success. U2 fans from around the world donated a total of $26,457.92 (USD)! The donations were collected in honor of Bono"s birthday on May 10th and will be used to fund water projects in Angola.

The 3rd annual drive ran throughout April and early May. Due to the generosity of U2 fans, this year"s total tops the previous two years combined. A good portion of the total was raised through the efforts of the U2 fan web site @U2 and three U2 tribute bands; Southern California based The Joshua Tree, San Francisco"s Zoo Station and Boston"s The Joshua Tree Band. Because of their generous dedication to the fundraiser, more than $4,800 was raised from three separate benefit events.

Donations came from U2 fans around the world including contributions received from Canada, England, Ireland, Australia and Greece. Also collected were 320 "signatures" at the AWF website from those who donated. These birthday wishes were compiled into a card that was sent to Bono along with a Well Share Certificate for the amount raised.

This year's donations will be used to fund water projects in Angola. Seven springs have been identified for protection in the Trumba communa in Kuito, one of which will serve a school and health center. Detailed information about these projects will be available soon on our website www.africanwellfund.org. Updates for the 2003 and 2004 Bono Birthday Well projects can also be found at the site.

Donations to the African Well Fund support Africare"s clean water projects in Africa. Africare is one of the leading private, nonprofit charitable U.S. organizations assisting Africa. For more information please visit www.africare.org. The African Well Fund was founded to focus on one achievable goal: providing access to clean water. Since its inception in 2003, AWF has raised more than $100,000 towards this goal. Although this year"s birthday fundraiser is complete, AWF accepts donations to the fund year round. The drive to provide clean water to all the people of Africa continues.

I was wondering how the fund did this year! I'm so glad to hear all this! This was the first year I've participated and it will be the first of many!

Great job, everyone who donated! :hug:

Back
Top Bottom