(06-05-2004) U2 To Feature in Uncut Magazine - Uncut*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2 to Feature in Special Issue of Uncut Magazine

An Interference reader has written to let us know that a Special Uncut Legends (No. 3) issue - the definitive guide to music icons - will be dedicated to U2. The issue is due to go on sale from 15th June 2004. It will feature rare and unseen photos and indepth reviews of U2 albums, etc. The issue's price is shown as ?5.50. Currently, there is nothing about the special U2 issue on the Uncut website: http://www.uncut.co.uk but further information should appear soon.

Thanks to Barry!

Uncut is a UK mag, but I live in America and can find it at Barnes & Noble. I love it.

Bonochick said:
Uncut is a UK mag, but I live in America and can find it at Barnes & Noble. I love it.

OOOooooooo :dance:

Bchk, I'm so glad you just posted, because I was just going to ask here....is/was Uncut any good as a Rock mag? Now I got a postivive opinion.

I've seen it but not at B&N....:scratch:. Maybe when I've been at B&N I wasn't looking for it in particular.

I almost *always see it {Uncut} at* this big newpaper/mag store that's a bit west of the internetcafe} I often am at {and am now}, here on Times Square 42nd Street {south side of street}.

I've been tempted on ocassion to buy it {Who, Beatles issues},but have never had the extra cash on me at the time. Then I'd forget about it, because I never see it anywhere else.

I'll be sure to have the money *this* time. :D

BrazilianFly.... if you read this check out the B&N's as suggested , but if you happen to visit NYC first/at all and go to Times Sq-- go to the news/mag store I just mnetioned above because sometimes I've seen more than one issue there for several weeks.

and have a great visit here{usa}, where ever you'll be visiting! :wave:

Last edited:
Popmartijn said:
Didn't they release such an issue last year? :eyebrow:

I think that was a feature on the Joshua Tree, and it came with a CD of music that influenced the creation of that album. I still have it somewhere, but it would take more time than I have right now to find it. I'm quite happy to be corrected if I'm mis-remembering.

Yes, I know about that one (happy to have it myself too). No, I'm meaning about another issue that was a compilation of articles published about U2 before. It was titled something like "Uncut presents U2", although I think that most of the articles were from the NME. So I hope the original article did not confuse this issue with another one. I'm happy to be wrong though. :)

Popmartijn said:
Yes, I know about that one (happy to have it myself too). No, I'm meaning about another issue that was a compilation of articles published about U2 before. It was titled something like "Uncut presents U2", although I think that most of the articles were from the NME. So I hope the original article did not confuse this issue with another one. I'm happy to be wrong though. :)

Yes, thanks for the reminder. I have that one as well, and while it did say Uncut presents, you're right, it seemed to be an NME production. I remember being confused about that at the time. I'm with you in hoping there's not some mix-up here, and that this issue is something entirely new.:wave:

I was confused too. I thought Uncut just did a U2 magazine so I thought it was odd that they are only on issue 3 of their legends series and they're doing U2 again. It didn't sound right to me so I looked at my U2 magazines and this is the one I found. I thought it was Uncut but it's NME.......

33%3A9942723232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2328%3D777%3D59%3B%3DXROQDF%3E23235565%3B8%3A35ot1lsi

dazzledbylight said:

BrazilianFly.... if you read this check out the B&N's as suggested , but if you happen to visit NYC first/at all and go to Times Sq-- go to the news/mag store I just mnetioned above because sometimes I've seen more than one issue there for several weeks.

and have a great visit here{usa}, where ever you'll be visiting! :wave:

You got it right, I'm going to New York City in July!!! I will check it out for sure!! Thanks a lot!!! :hug:

The Latest monthly issue of Uncut currently on sale in UK (with Paul McCartney on the front cover) has got a full page advert inside advertising the U2 SPECIAL due to go on sale 15/6/04.

This UNCUT SPECIAL is different to & shouldn't be confused with the NME ORIGINALS special which was issued last year.

arw9797 said:
I was confused too. I thought Uncut just did a U2 magazine so I thought it was odd that they are only on issue 3 of their legends series and they're doing U2 again. It didn't sound right to me so I looked at my U2 magazines and this is the one I found. I thought it was Uncut but it's NME.......

33%3A9942723232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2328%3D777%3D59%3B%3DXROQDF%3E23235565%3B8%3A35ot1lsi

:confused:

Mine clearly says in the orange corner "Uncut presents U2". Next to it, it indeed says "Original reviews, interviews & photos from the archives of NME" with NME being big and orange and in the place of the JT-era pic in the top-right corner.
The rest is largely the same though (mine also has a small orange banner at the bottom saying "Exclusive foreword by Bono and Adam Clayton").

So apparently there's more than 1 version of this magazine available...

:confused:

Of course, the obvious conclusion is then: NEW ORIGINAL U2 MAGAZINE!!! :hyper:

:D

Marty

The U2 Originals magazine that was sold in the U.S. said UNCUT on the upper left-hand corner of the cover instead of NME. That could be because UNCUT has better U.S. distribution than the NME (my guess).

A new U2 magazine is always wonderful news!!! I just wonder why Q hasn't come out with a special issue on them yet...they've done so for just about everyone else!

The advert in this months UNCUT shows it will have a different cover to last year's NME originals special.It also mentions that it will include unseen photos from stuck in a moment studio session & comments by Travis,Moby & Starsailor on why they love U2

There was definately two of this magazine; one that said NME originals and one that says Uncut.

I have both and happened to look at them the other day when I first saw this thread. I also thought it was peculiar that they would dedicate another issue to U2 but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

:hmm: well I bought mine on ebay from someone in England so that could be why mine does not say Uncut. But now I'm confused too as to what is coming out. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Uncut Legends3 U2 special is on sale in UK today & it's great!!!!-definitely been worth waiting for-lots of superb photos & interviews.

Just a quick note, I was one of the photographers at the Red Rocks show in 1983 for the taping of Under the Blood Red Sky. Uncut Legends contacted me last month about using a couple of my pics of the show in their upcoming issue, which should out soon. Also Rolling Stone is doing an issue of the best rock shows of all time and the Red Rocks show is on the list as is one of my shots from then. Greg

Hi!

Got the mag a couple of days ago and, due to the length of the mag, I still havent finished reading it! ITS HUGE at 146 pages!

Its a very very interesting read with some amazing and unseen pictures (I thought Id seen everything last 19 years of following U2) and to keep some of you desperately yearning for the mag to arrive in the States, I got some of my favourite quotes from the mag here:

On Streets (No1 Greatest U2 Song chosen by Uncut Legends panel of rock luminaries and an online poll of thousands), Fran Healy of Travis says: "Its a really good song live. Bono says when they play that song, its like God walks through the room - every single night. He says you could be having the worst show of your life until you you play that song; God just walks through the room and it saves every show, it just takes the roof off the venue. Its just one of those songs that just seems to do something to people. There's something quite spiritually uplifting about that song. Its like a hymn"

Dennis Sheehan on Bono's relationship with his father, Bob Hewson: "They had always had a solid relationship but Bob commanded respect. I remember many years earlier Bono said "fuck" during a radio interview. Not long afterwards Bob was a guest at one of the shows. He asked that I find Bono as he wanted to have a talk with him. I had told him they were on stage very soon but Bob wasn't interested. He said he didn't care that he was due on stage because he'd heard the interview and wanted to give Bono a piece of his mind. Bono turned up and took his punishment from Bob!" :D

Dennis Sheehan on shooting the video for NYD: "I remember when we shot the video for the song. We were playing a show in Oslo and needed to be in Stockholm by 7am the next morning. Everyone was to fly for an hour by light aircraft and then a further 45 minutes by helicopter. But when we got to the helicopter it could only fit four passengers so the group went on, leaving Anton Corbijn, Paul McGuinness and myself behind before returning for a second trip. We landed by a road that curved around to where the group were standing. Anton decided to save some time and took a direct route across to them, only to disappear down a six foot ditch. All we could see was his camera held above his head, sticking out of the snow" Hee hee! thats so funny!

Bono, when asked last year what he'd learned from 20 years of taking U2 on the road: "Don't spend too much on the box and the wrapping paper. No matter how big the occasion, your loved ones just want to see what's inside" How so true!

Edge's reaction after recording "One": "Phew! I'll be able to change the car this year after all" :D

Paul McGuinness once said to BP Fallon on U2's success: "No, I've never been surprised by their success. Now they do very well at what at the beginning they did quite badly, but the thing that they do has never really changed. The four of them stood there and made an enormous noise. That is what a rock'n'roll band ought to do as far as I'm concerned and they now do it supremely well."

Hope you managed to get a copy in the States...

Cheers

dougal

Tinker 800 said:
Just a quick note, I was one of the photographers at the Red Rocks show in 1983 for the taping of Under the Blood Red Sky. Uncut Legends contacted me last month about using a couple of my pics of the show in their upcoming issue, which should out soon. Also Rolling Stone is doing an issue of the best rock shows of all time and the Red Rocks show is on the list as is one of my shots from then. Greg

:ohmy:

I have only two words to say:
You rock! :up:

Tinker 800 said:

I agree with PopMartijn!.........

That must have been quite an experience for you, Greg! Im green with envy (in a good way!)

You rock, man!

dougal

Thanks dougal for you report. :) I?m loking forward to get mine, not an easy task though, I?m not sure if that mag can?t be found here. I got the other Uncut special about Joshua Tree from a friend in the US.

And Tinker, that?s was really cool :)

Cheers
MT

Thanx everyone, Rolling Stone Australia has just asked to use the photo of Bono onstage that Uncut is using. One photo, three magazines.....'the shot seen 'round the world'? :)

My Barnes & Noble just put out the (July) Uncut with Paul McCartney on the cover.

Will the U2 one be the next issue?

Back
Top Bottom