(06-01-2005) Keep Your Eyes Peeled! -- Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I couldn't see it on the msn site, so thanks enajh2 for posting that on your site. I liked it. I'm not a big fan of 'videos', but thought it came out well. And remember they were on tour when they made it, so it's not like they had a lot of time to spare travelling the globe. They probably had some time contraints and schedules to adhere to, and that's what they chose to do. If the single was scheduled to be released or hit a certain territory at a certain time, they had to work within the schedule. Any U2 is good to me :applaud: :dance:

"yep. we should never criticize anything. all is well. nothing to see here. move on."

Yea your right, we should criticize everthing under sun. why dont we just open another website called "U2 Even worse than the real thing" give me a break. Yea it may not be the best video I ve ever seen but it doesn't merit all of these gripes. I can't do any better. Can you? Gees, Make it more interesting? How? Is there something you know that you could do better than Hamish. If you do, maybe they should hire you to do the next video. Why don't you call Dear old Paul McG. and tell them they got it all wrong! And whille your at it tell them all the other things that are wong with U2. :shh: Enjoy the music because someday it will be gone

Last edited:
scout13 said:

Yea your right, we should criticize everthing under sun. why dont we just open another website called "U2 Even worse than the real thing" give me a break. Yea it may not be the best video I ve ever seen but it doesn't merit all of these gripes. I can't do any better. Can you? Gees, Make it more interesting? How? Is there something you know that you could do better than Hamish. If you do, maybe they should hire you to do the next video. Why don't you call Dear old Paul McG. and tell them they got it all wrong! And whille your at it tell them all the other things that are wong with U2. :shh: Enjoy the music because someday it will be gone

Well I'm studying CG and film so who knows...I might be able to do better. Also it wasn't Hamish that did it. It was Alex&Martin from the Vertigo video.

Also what I'm criticising more than the video is the U2 fan that just says "shhh just enjoy the music it'll be gone someday." I hate that attitude. It's total apathy and there is absolutely zero constructive worth in it. I mean how can you possibly say it doesn't merit all these gripes? And by that I mean how do you suppose you're allowed to tell us what we like and don't like?

And actually I don't really care for the song either....I feel the whole album is weak. So, no, I'm not going to just sit down and be quiet. They're my band too. I love them just as much as anyone else. And like anything I love (and especially pay for), I feel I have the right to criticize and SHOULD. That's how things get better.

:applaud: Amen to that Achtung Y'all!

I personally like the video and the bomb, but completely agree with your argument above.

Achtung Ya'll said:

Well I'm studying CG and film so who knows...I might be able to do better. Also it wasn't Hamish that did it. It was Alex&Martin from the Vertigo video.

Also what I'm criticising more than the video is the U2 fan that just says "shhh just enjoy the music it'll be gone someday." I hate that attitude. It's total apathy and there is absolutely zero constructive worth in it. I mean how can you possibly say it doesn't merit all these gripes? And by that I mean how do you suppose you're allowed to tell us what we like and don't like?

And actually I don't really care for the song either....I feel the whole album is weak. So, no, I'm not going to just sit down and be quiet. They're my band too. I love them just as much as anyone else. And like anything I love (and especially pay for), I feel I have the right to criticize and SHOULD. That's how things get better.

Maybe you can do better? Who knows. I think song is good and it's a great opener. Most u2 fans agree, according to @u2 poll its the best live song from tour so far.(OK I know thats not only place u2 fans visit but its the first poll I saw) Can I assume you didn't like the concerts? Or did you even go? Thats the same mind set that even yer Bono doesn't seem to like. Its people like Gregg Kot, from the Chicago Tribune, that get stuck on pacticular theme about U2 and have hard time progressing to other albums. Im glad Bono called him. At every album there was always some sort of negativity, some more than others. People hold onto there favorite ablums and can't embrace any other ideas or simplicity of other albums. I believe you can do both. Of course some are classics and some are so-so. But there U2 fans who just complain about everything. The setlist, the videos, the stage, and goes on and on. Don't people get tired of it? How do things get better? They fix it according the way you like it but someone else will complain about it. It will never end! If its hurting you wallet because the album was weak then don't waste your time on the concerts because half album is played. Heaven forbid, if U2 were to go down in airplane accident. That will be it. It may not be my favorite album but I will enjoy it and the concerts too.

Well you certainly have valid points and opinions.

I haven't gone to a concert yet. Downloaded a couple of video boots and about all the audio boots available. Some of it DOES look cool but some of it just feels flat. Now granted I'll wait til my concert comes up November 18th to make a final judgement call. But during the Elevation tour, my appraisal of the boots pretty accurately judged how I thought I was going to feel about the live show (and did feel). But still I'll reserve final judgement til the show.

I totally understand your point about people not embracing the progression of U2. I don't think that's necessarily the point for me because I've embraced all the changes from Joshua Tree on! (I love all the earlier albums too...I just mean from the point I became a fan which was the JT).

But then again people shouldn't embrace something they're not fond of merely for the sake of it being "progressive." The same way a lot of people hated Pop (which I fuckin' loveeeee). They were basically "yeah yeah...trying out new things. Now get back to the good stuff please." Which I guess is how I am about this new album (and to a lesser extent ATYCLB). So I guess it really, for me, just comes down to individual taste rather than a lack of embracing different styles and themes.

I just don't like the "U2 might die someday so lets just enjoy what we have" attitude. Living on assumptions like that helps nothing. That's like saying "better not go outside today because I MIGHT get runover. Better just sit inside and enjoy what I have here." People don't do that though (well not all of them :) ) They go outside. They take risks and do what they can to better themselves. I just simply won't take that as an excuse for anything. Hell U2 themselves don't just sit at home making mediocre music because they're afraid their plane might go down or something. They go out and take risks and have new experiences and write new music.

I just happen to not like this new approach as much. That's all.

I agree with you. I wasn't talking about the ideology of staying at home and being paranoid. I think people should go outside and embrace the moment. Thats the idea that I am trying to convey with U2. Inheritanly, whatever U2 does or make will have flaws based on opinions. Art only survives by peoples opinons. "beauty is in eye of the beholder" Like you said, "it just comes down to individual taste rather than a lack of embracing different styles and themes." I guess ,not you per say, some U2 fans get drawned into negativty and makes you wonder why there are still fans! :confused: Well I hope you enjoy the concert. Try not watch or listen too many boots it might kill the spontaneous energy. A lot of info can be a bad thing.:wave:

Last edited:
pepokiss said:

I WANTO TO SEE THIS THING LIVE!!! :drool: :sad:

This is exactly the point of the video!!

1) City of Blinding Lights is written ABOUT a live concert, U2 performing after 9-11 in NY at MSG, so having a live video and live audio (as opposed to the studio track) makes sense.

2) U2 is currently on tour, so this is easier to film.

3) U2 is currently on tour, so if you haven't seen them live yet, this video might MAKE YOU WANT TO SEE THEM LIVE... or not. If it isn't, then you prolly shouldn't go to the show anyway, because you probably won't enjoy it (if you didn't enjoy the live video... but hopefully you will)

One of the main things that made me want to go see Coldplay live (when they came to my town) was the CLOCKS video. It was a live performance and sounded and looked so cool (sounded better than the album version IMO) and immediately after seeing the video, I bought tickets to the show. Of course I enjoyed the WHOLE Coldplay show (not just Clocks) but the live video is what made me want to see them.

Is is not a coincidence that they release these live videos WHILE THE ARTISTS ARE STILL ON TOUR, and not at the end of the tours!

just my thoughts...

Back
Top Bottom