(05-26-2006) Piano Lessons and New Songs -- U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Piano Lessons and New Songs

Bono's been taking piano lessons and writing songs. After every lesson, 'I write a new song'. It's time, he says, 'to get lost in the music.' Listen in to The Guardian podcast.

Interviewed at the end of his ten-day African trip by Larry Elliott, Bono talks about balancing his life as a political activist with being a writer and musician. And he drops some nuggets about new songs and recording.

It's here.

--U2.com

Last edited:
kellyahern said:

How about dropping some nuggets about rescheduled tour dates? :|

I don't think that this issue is within his power. There are complex logistics involved. So I don't believe Bono or any of the band members would say anything before there is a definite new schedule for the postponed concerts.

Someone please help me out here. Bono is just learning to play the piano? Aren't there pictures of him at the piano with The Edge?

Cool! So the band is meeting up next week.

Bono, "...June we can meet up and start writing together, and I got alot of songs which is oddly enough, been taking piano lessons. My kid's piano teacher, Dawns been teaching me the piano. And everytime she gives me a lesson, on the piano, I write a new song. So next week when we meet up, I have all these songs to play for them. So I would like to thin out my schedule, in terms of the politics and activism, and just get lost in, in music again."

silvrlvr said:
Someone please help me out here. Bono is just learning to play the piano? Aren't there pictures of him at the piano with The Edge?

He could pluck out a tune, but he was never formally taught, and he has lamented this often. He also seemed rather embarrassed that he couldn't read or properly "write" music. Now he's learning.
By the way, obsessive U2 fans will know that this is not news. Quite a long while back (as I recall) he shouted out to some fans, apropos of nothing, that he was taking piano lessons. Good for him.

He seems to be excited about! It’s great when he’s excited about it because he’s likely to be more inspired as well. Can wait to listen to something new from him.:hyper:

Slipstream said:
Cool! So the band is meeting up next week.

Bono, "...June we can meet up and start writing together, and I got alot of songs which is oddly enough, been taking piano lessons. My kid's piano teacher, Dawns been teaching me the piano. And everytime she gives me a lesson, on the piano, I write a new song. So next week when we meet up, I have all these songs to play for them. So I would like to thin out my schedule, in terms of the politics and activism, and just get lost in, in music again."

:love:

this is fantastic news :up:

Like most musicians, Bono is mostly an autodidact, and it's not uncommon that many performers can play some instruments, but not very well. I have always wanted to see him play the piano. He has played it on several albums, but I really would love to see him play live. I think it's great that he is learning to play it properly. He should take some guitar lessons as well, hehe.

aaaaw my hopes of playing piano on their next album is smashed :D

hey - last unicorn - you´re from Vienna, Austria? Jah, is that truly possible? That we´re from the same city?

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
aaaaw my hopes of playing piano on their next album is smashed :D

hey - last unicorn - you´re from Vienna, Austria? Jah, is that truly possible? That we´re from the same city?

:) Yes, I live in Vienna. You can see from the number of my posts that I don't post much and I have just joined recently. Great forum.

I think it's great news too, because it can mean another album sooner than we think. I think they should just end the vertigo tour and do a new album then the beginning of next year ,start the new tour down under!!:hyper:

I don;t know about you, but the whole notion of the daughter taking piano lessons and then one day the dad comes in (BONO of all people!) and wants lessons too is just.....:cute:

last unicorn said:
Like most musicians, Bono is mostly an autodidact, and it's not uncommon that many performers can play some instruments, but not very well. I have always wanted to see him play the piano. He has played it on several albums, but I really would love to see him play live. I think it's great that he is learning to play it properly. He should take some guitar lessons as well, hehe.

Welcome, Unicorn, but I beg to differ that most musicians are self-taught. I think it's just the opposite, at least among the musicians I know. You usually learn on something -- generally the piano -- and then go on from there. It's easier to pick up other instruments once you've learned to play one well, akin to learning languages after you've mastered one.

But I agree -- I'd love to see more live piano from U2 whether it's Bono or Edge or even someone sitting in.

Hee hee, I can only imagine what it's like giving Bono piano lessons.

"Mr. Hewson! Will you please tell the Pope that you'll call him back? We're right in the middle of a very important lesson!"

:wink:

Well, pooh. Had I known he was looking for a piano teacher, I could have thrown my hat into the ring. :grumpy:

Do you think she scolds him if he doesn't practice? "I know you're a busy man, Mr. Hewson, but you'll never learn if you don't practice for at least 30 minutes every day!"

Rachel D. said:
Hee hee, I can only imagine what it's like giving Bono piano lessons.

"Mr. Hewson! Will you please tell the Pope that you'll call him back? We're right in the middle of a very important lesson!"

:wink:

:lol:

lesson two:

"The One campaign? " **few bad notes**
"One.org?" **more bad piano notes**
"Ok, yes, yes, fine! I'll check it out, will you just please keep your attention on the keyboards now..... thank you! Ouch, you're hurting my ears! Ok stop right now! whew. "

Back
Top Bottom