(05-25-2007) Could Linkin Park, Green Day, Nine Inch Nails Be The Next U2?-MTV*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anu

Editor
Staff member
There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you
Could Linkin Park, Green Day, Nine Inch Nails Be The Next U2?-MTV*

By Chris Harris, MTV.com

Everyone's heard the saying A&R guys have been kicking around for decades to describe the hottest up-and-comers: "the next Beatles." While this title has been liberally conferred upon many acts since the Beatles' prime, no artist has really been as big a hit or had as profound an influence on pop culture as the Fab Four. But U2 have come pretty damn close.

With upward of 170 million albums sold worldwide and three decades of commercial and critical success, there's no denying that U2 are one of the biggest rock bands on the planet. With the Edge's soaring, signature guitar chime and the group's catalog of arena-size anthems, U2 have consistently reinvented themselves, experimenting with and evolving the direction of their unique sound, even at the risk of alienating some of their die-hard fans.

They've maintained their musical relevance, and the bandmembers have achieved gravity outside the realm of rock and roll. The band — and in particular frontman Bono, who's become something of a global ambassador — has used its music and celebrity to shine a spotlight on political and social issues and injustices, working closely with organizations like Amnesty International, Make Poverty History, the ONE Campaign, Live Aid and Live 8 (see "Jay-Z, U2, Madonna, Pink Floyd Deliver Live 8 Highlights"). Bono has become increasingly involved in campaigning for Third World debt relief and raising awareness of the plight of Africa, including the AIDS pandemic (see "Bono, Brad Pitt Launch Campaign For Third-World Relief" and "Bono's Humanitarian Efforts Not Good Enough For North Dakota").

In 2002, Bono formed DATA (Debt, AIDS, Trade, Africa), an advocacy organization dedicated to eradicating extreme poverty and AIDS in Africa, and he's met with a host of world leaders to solicit support for the various campaigns he backs. For his part, the Edge founded Music Rising, a campaign to rescue the musical culture of the U.S.'s Central Gulf region following the catastrophic summer 2005 hurricanes (see "U2 Keeping Up Charitable Momentum Following Superdome Set").

So forget the Beatles — we're more interested in who's poised to become the next U2. Here are some notable candidates.

Linkin Park: It's hard to imagine the architects of "One Step Closer" could one day be as internationally influential as a band like U2. But they're certainly keeping pace with the band as far as album sales are concerned (see "Linkin Park Rule The Albums Chart: New LP Has Best First-Week Sales Of The Year"), and aesthetically speaking too, the California hard rockers are definitely on their way.

First, there's the setting: a dusty, windy desert, where both bands rock out with purpose. Then there's frontman Chester Bennington's penchant for Bono-like shades. In the video, he even seems to borrow Bono's signature microphone-stand manipulation, swaying back and forth and side to side and cradling a pole. And what of the black-and-white cover of Linkin Park's new record, the Rick Rubin-helmed Minutes to Midnight (see "Linkin Park's Minutes To Midnight Preview: Nu-Metallers Grow Up")? Doesn't it sort of resemble the cover of U2's 2000 effort, All That You Can't Leave Behind?

And is it just a coincidence that U2's next LP will also be produced by Rubin?
Minutes to Midnight is also the most political of Linkin Park's three studio sets, as evidenced by the lyrics to "Hands Held High," on which Mike Shinoda sings, "For a leader so nervous, in an obvious way/ Stuttering and mumbling for nightly news to replay/ And the rest of the world watching at the end of the day/ In the living room laughing, like, 'What did he say?' "
And let's not forget Bennington's humanitarian work. In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, Bennington appeared with Mötley Crüe at ReAct Now: Music & Relief, a concert to benefit Katrina's survivors, for a rendition of "Home Sweet Home" (the benefit also featured U2, as it so happens; see "U2, Coldplay, Pearl Jam Added To MTV Disaster-Relief Show").
The band also helped relief efforts for victims of the 2004 tsunami, staging several charity concerts and setting up an additional fund called "Music for Relief" — Bennington visited victims of that disaster in Phuket, Thailand (see "Linkin Park Establish Charity To Help Tsunami Victims"). Linkin Park also participated in Bob Geldof's 2005 Live 8 concerts, appearing onstage with Jay-Z in Philadelphia (see "50 Cent Drops Off Live 8 Bill — But Destiny's Child And Linkin Park Sign On").

According to Bennington, "There's nothing you can say that sucks about being compared to U2."

Green Day: The Berkeley, California, band — which has influenced the likes of My Chemical Romance and Blink-182 — has come a long way since the dope and dick jokes that pervaded 1992's Kerplunk. Like U2, they've become one of the most important bands in the world and, also like U2, they believe in reinvention, especially during periods when their relevance has been challenged. Their recent work has contained a much deeper message than the joys and perils of self-manipulation; Green Day's 2004 opus American Idiot was a politically tinged rock opera dealing with the nature of individuality and rebellion and the war in Iraq (see "Why Idiot Was The Smart Move For Green Day").

In 2005 Green Day performed as part of Live 8, and last year the band collaborated with none other than U2 themselves on a Rick Rubin-produced cover of the Skids' "The Saints Are Coming" (see "MTV News Exclusive: Catch A Sneak Peek Of U2/ Green Day 'Saints' Video"). Sales from the single benefited the Edge's Music Rising campaign. In April, frontman Billie Joe Armstrong headed to New Orleans to help rebuild homes destroyed by the storm.

Green Day have also joined forces with the Natural Resources Defense Council, one of the most effective environmental organizations in the U.S., for the "Move America Beyond Oil" campaign and other environmental concerns. The work they've done has helped raise awareness of the nation's dependency on oil and offers possible courses of action to reverse the trend.
Coldplay: From a strictly political standpoint, of all of rock and roll's big names, Coldplay are perhaps the most comparable to U2.

Chris Martin, who leads the British quartet, has been particularly outspoken on issues of fair trade and has become the face for Make Trade Fair, a campaign organized by Oxfam International to promote trade justice among governments, institutions and multinational corporations. Martin has personally traveled to Ghana and Haiti to see firsthand the effects of unfair trade practices. And when the band performs live, he can usually be spotted with the words "make trade fair" or an equal sign written on his left hand.
Martin has been fairly active in politics and has been a vocal critic of Bush and the war in Iraq. He threw his support behind John Kerry's failed presidential bid in 2004 during his acceptance speech at the 2004 Grammy Awards, when the band's song "Clocks" was awarded Record of the Year honors. The band also supports Amnesty International.

Oh yeah, and Martin's been known to refer to himself as "Crono," a play on the name of his "hero," Bono.

Nine Inch Nails: Trent Reznor has gone from crafting tunes about his personal anguish and misery (see 1989's Pretty Hate Machine) to addressing social and political themes on his most recent outing, this year's Year Zero (see "Nine Inch Nails' Year Zero Preview: Beginning To Solve The Mystery"). The concept album revolves around the generally terrifying story of a future society poised on the brink of spiritual, moral, political and environmental Armageddon — his response to Bush's presidency and the war in Iraq.

Reznor, of course, has made no secret of his disapproval of the POTUS; in 2005, he dropped out of performing at the 2005 MTV Movie Awards because of a disagreement with the network over the use of an unaltered image of George W. Bush as a backdrop to the band's performance of "The Hand That Feeds" (see "Nine Inch Nails Drop Out Of MTV Movie Awards Over Bush Dispute"). The song includes the lyrics, "What if this whole crusade's a charade/ And behind it all there's a price to be paid/ For the blood on which we dine/ Justified in the name of the holy and the divine."

Reznor — whose work has influenced the likes of Marilyn Manson and Filter — has also thrown his support behind People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, which he filmed a public-service announcement for in 2006. Reznor narrated an undercover video exposing the gruesome cat- and dog-fur trade in China and the barbarity of the fur industry throughout the world.

"Workers kick and stomp on the cages and jab the animals with sticks to get them out, then their weakened bodies are bludgeoned, hanged, bled or strangled with wire nooses to kill them," he says in the spot. "Many of the cats and dogs still have collars on, proof that they were someone's beloved companions."

System of a Down: Descendants of survivors of the 1915 Armenian Genocide, System of a Down had no choice but to be a political band. Frontman Serj Tankian helped form the Axis of Justice, a nonprofit organization dedicated to bringing together musicians, music fans and grassroots political organizations to fight for social justice, and the band frequently promotes awareness of the Armenian Genocide (see "System Of A Down Mark Genocide By Playing, Not Preaching").
Every year (with the exception of 2006), System of a Down have organized "Souls" concerts to raise money to support the cause. System's song "P.L.U.C.K. (Politically Lying, Unholy, Cowardly Killers)," from 1998's self-titled debut, touches upon the genocide, and in the CD's booklet, the band dedicates the track "to the memory of the 1.5 million victims of the Armenian Genocide, perpetrated by the Turkish Government in 1915." The song "Holy Mountains," from 2005's Hypnotize, is also about the genocide.
"B.Y.O.B.," the Grammy Award-winning single that was featured on Hypnotize's counterpart LP, Mezmerize, questions the integrity of war and was believed to be a direct attack on Bush's international policies.

Last spring, the band asked its fans to contact Bush, urging him to properly characterize the Armenian Genocide as "genocide" in presidential statements. Tankian said at the time that "the constant, ridiculous denial of the Armenian Genocide by not only Turkey but by consecutive U.S. administrations made me aware of the world of disinformation and injustices around the globe."

But with the future of the heavy-metal act unclear (they announced they'd be going on an indefinite hiatus a year ago; see "System Of A Down Aren't Breaking Up — They're Going On Hiatus"), System don't seem a very likely candidate for the title of "the next U2."

U2: It's not as though the Irish rockers are going anywhere anytime soon, and they've shown no signs they're ready to renounce their place as rock and roll royalty. They're hard at work on their next album — what will be their 12th studio release — with Rubin at the boards, and Bono's humanitarian efforts have not waned one bit. Bono just joined the Irish government's Hunger Task Force as part of his continuing efforts to raise awareness of world poverty.
http://www.mtvu.com/news/articles/1560359/20070523/linkin_park.jhtml

Hm. What the above-mentioned bands seem to have in common is that they disapprove of Bush and have done some charitable deeds. That's about it. Silly MTV. It takes more than a political opinion and a little charity work to be like U2. In fact, these bands have such strong politics that they mostly pander to only one shade of the political spectrum. That's not exactly mass appeal.

And what does MTV know about music, anyway?

I love System of a down...... but sorry.... how can MTV compare speed metal to Rock-Pop music..??? It's like Mozart and U2....

Anyway, I don't see anyone coming close to U2 for the next decade, after it is another story.

Yahweh_OMG said:
I love System of a down...... but sorry.... how can MTV compare speed metal to Rock-Pop music..??? It's like Mozart and U2....

Anyway, I don't see anyone coming close to U2 for the next decade, after it is another story.

Pretty sure they're talking about similarities in impact, not sound.

Yeah, none of these bands could ever be the next U2. Coldplay probably has the best chance, but I doubt that they can change their kind of generic sound to produce something as unique and powerful as U2. And they just don't ever really rock.

The band with the best chance I can think of is the Arcade Fire, but that depends on whether they break into the mainstream or not. So it is still a fairly slim chance. I honestly have no understanding of why a band like the Arcade Fire don't get on the radio, but it is clear that they don't. But they are sweeping and epic like U2, with great live shows, so they are the right kind of band.

Radiohead has kind of been the next U2, in terms of being consistently awesome and constantly reinventing themelves, but again they aren't mainstream enough to really qualify.

drt4 said:
Yeah, none of these bands could ever be the next U2. Coldplay probably has the best chance, but I doubt that they can change their kind of generic sound to produce something as unique and powerful as U2. And they just don't ever really rock.

The band with the best chance I can think of is the Arcade Fire, but that depends on whether they break into the mainstream or not. So it is still a fairly slim chance. I honestly have no understanding of why a band like the Arcade Fire don't get on the radio, but it is clear that they don't. But they are sweeping and epic like U2, with great live shows, so they are the right kind of band.

Radiohead has kind of been the next U2, in terms of being consistently awesome and constantly reinventing themelves, but again they aren't mainstream enough to really qualify.

you have the right ideas and musical tastes. Can it be possible? i have a twin soul in US of A?

I generally don't like this "next Beatles", "next Stones", "next U2", or "next Schumacher", "next Hitchcock" or whatever.

Let's see here.

Linkin Park - They suck, not much talent, they just mostly suck really hard

Green Day - Just not going to happen

NIN - The talent is there, but they're not really a 'pop' band thats designed to be that big.

Yes, they seem to think that all you need is a hatred for the US and you are golden.............don't think so (System of a Down-are you kidding me?).

The problem is that they neglect to look at the music and the musical impact more closely. None of those bands even begin to obtain the level of sonic mastery and lyrical excellence that U2 does. Case in point is the Linkin Park lyric..........what a joke! All the bands listed are too old to make a run and if they were going to, they would have by now.

MTV needs to go back to doing what they know best: Making fake, quasi-reality shows for fourteen year old girls.

MTV your relevency died over ten years ago.

For my money the only one on the list that could do it is Green Day. Despite what has been said here, I believe Green Day has the talent to become the successor to U2 when our boys decide to hang it up.

Green Day already has shown the ability to grow beyond their initial sound and to expand their horizons without compromising quality. They have shown a genuine desire to help the underpriveleged and have a political bent to the lyrics in some of their most popular songs.

And let me remind you that it is NOT the USA these bands hate, it is the failed policies of the Bush administration that has turned the rest of the world against us. What these bands are doing is reflecting the opinions of the rest of the world and indeed a majority of the United States' own citizens. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact, when a band like Green Day takes the initiative to weave political statements into their music, even in an abrubt "in your face" manner (listen to U2's own "War" album for a good example), they take the first steps towards becoming the "next U2".

cypress said:
For my money the only one on the list that could do it is Green Day. Despite what has been said here, I believe Green Day has the talent to become the successor to U2 when our boys decide to hang it up.

Green Day already has shown the ability to grow beyond their initial sound and to expand their horizons without compromising quality. They have shown a genuine desire to help the underpriveleged and have a political bent to the lyrics in some of their most popular songs.

And let me remind you that it is NOT the USA these bands hate, it is the failed policies of the Bush administration that has turned the rest of the world against us. What these bands are doing is reflecting the opinions of the rest of the world and indeed a majority of the United States' own citizens. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact, when a band like Green Day takes the initiative to weave political statements into their music, even in an abrubt "in your face" manner (listen to U2's own "War" album for a good example), they take the first steps towards becoming the "next U2".

Here we go, out come the Bush haters. Don't think for a second that Green day speaks for the country or anyone comming from Berkley, California. What a joke.

Green Day ever had quality?

The only reason thier last album did anything was that they changed thier music to fit top 40 stations and they played to a certain segment of the population, I think you know what I mean.

Forget all that, what makes you think that "that band" has what it takes to be the biggest band in the world? Thier body of work does not support that assertion at all. There is little debate in that.

^^Yes, but come on. The music industry is the most one-sided, close-minded, money-driven machine imaginable. ESPECIALLY when it comes to rock and roll. Hate Bush = hate republicans = critical acclaim.

Complete garbage. Green Day was a one-hit wonder joke until they started openly bashing Bush and the war. Now they are supposedly the saviours of rock and roll? PROPAGANDA.

Zoocoustic said:
^^Yes, but come on. The music industry is the most one-sided, close-minded, money-driven machine imaginable. ESPECIALLY when it comes to rock and roll. Hate Bush = hate republicans = critical acclaim.

Complete garbage. Green Day was a one-hit wonder joke until they started openly bashing Bush and the war. Now they are supposedly the saviours of rock and roll? PROPAGANDA.

You're exactly right. Green Day is only one example. Just look at the Dixie Chicks: they won album of the year at the Grammys, even when they are so disliked that some of their concerts were cancelled for lack of ticket sales. These whining celebrities DO NOT represent the nation's population.

Well, I'm not afraid to say that I like those bands. After all (blasphemy) it IS okay to like stuff beyond U2. :)

Of those listed, I'm not sure if ANY of them are the "next U2". Trying to predict that would be like trying to predict Naomi Campbell's next victim.

However, I WIIL say that the new Link Park album is very U2 inspired. In fact, "Shadow of the Day" almost sounds like a distant cousin of some JT offerings. I think I read somewhere that Mike Shinoda was greatly influenced by that album.

Whatever... It's probably still flattering for both parties.

Anyway, as great as they all are, they're just band-aids until we can get our next "fix" from U2. :)

Please Standby For Transmission:U2 are alchemist's of rock n' roll.The only people who will be able to produce,harness and control this awesome energy, record and perform it are their children when they are ready.I'm hearing new's that U2 are currently in Moroco working on material for a new cd!MOR-ROCK-O!MORE ROCK N' ROOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I can see where they're coming from with Linkin Park. Just listen to 'Shadow of the Day' - One of their new songs - totally awesome, sounds about as similar to U2 as a nu-metal band could. And on top of that, I actually despise their earlier work :D

But yeah - hardly makes them close to U2 - comparing the history of the two bands is detritous (is that the right word!?)

All of the bands mentioned are very good, but not they won't be the next U2. There never will be another U2 just like there will never be another Beatles.

have i gone mad

or are people actually saying that linkin park and green day are actually good?

they might not be the worst
but there's so much better music out there that noone should even have time to listen to such corporate pedestrian life-style music.

Back
Top Bottom