(05-25-2005) Bono and Condi Have Lunch - Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sue4u2 said:

STING2,
If you really think this then YOU have presumed wrong.
You may not be putting words in peoples mouth but you are painting with a broad stroke and you are way off base.
You can toss around the word liberal like a curse word all you want but this country was founded on liberal ideas.
*sigh* never mind this is a FYM subject anyway..

Peace

I think it depends on your meaning of the word "liberal". Do you mean "classical liberal" as in the thoughts and writings of men like Adam Smith or do you mean modern liberal like Howard Dean or Ted Kennedy?

I think what Sting is saying is correct...I'm sure the man can't be pigeonholed into thinking like one group. The way many people around here talk, you would think he was at the head of ANSWER, MoveOn.Org, etc. Painting with a broad stroke is lumping all Rice, helms, Rumsfield into one box. Do people honestly think Republicans think monolithically?

I just want to add that I am a huge Rice fan...She is one of the smartest Sec. of State in a while. Too bad she did not get the opportunity during the 80s. She is quite the expert on the USSR as evident by her academic journal articles on the topic.

Bono has said before that sometimes you have to work with people that you may in some ways disagree with in order to get things done. He realized that just totally shutting off people who don't think exactly like him doesn't solve squat-think about it, people, how exactly would dividing ourselves help solve this problem?

If Kerry were in office right now, Bono would be talking to him as well as the people that Kerry would've appointed to office. But Kerry's not there, Bush is, and I'm no fan of this administration, either, but I totally understand why Bono's meeting with them, and will therefore continue to support his efforts on this issue.

Angela

Here is why Bono was meeting with Rice .... and it didn't seem like a social call.

Bono to Condi: All I Want is You to aid Third World
By Gayle Fee and Laura Raposa
Thursday, May 26, 2005 - Updated: 02:51 AM EST

While the Hub breathlessly panted All I Want Is U(2), Bono and most of
the boys blew off Boston yesterday for Canada - and Condoleezza!

The Irish band's activist frontman blew town after the first sold-out
U2 show at the FleetCenter and landed in the nation's capital in the
wee hours. Then at noon yesterday, he took a private lunch meeting with
Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice in one of the State Department's
diplomatic dining rooms.

Bono and Condi, who squeezed the rocker into her schedule between a
closed meeting with former German Chancellor Helmut Kohl and a sitdown
with Indonesian prez Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, are old pals from her
days as National Security Adviser.

They've chatted a few times about Africa, HIV/AIDS and help to foreign
countries - all topics near and dear to Bono.

But apparently, the celeb activist Still Hasn't Found What (He's)
Looking For, because he requested yet another meeting with Madame
Secretary to plead his case!

As you can imagine, the shades-sporting rock star created quite a stir
at the State Department, where starstruck staffers rushed to the Ben
Franklin Room with their camera phones.

"She told Bono, 'They don't usually do this for me,'" said Rice's
spokesguy, Noel Clay.

While Bono was busy on the Beltway lobbying the Bush administration to
boost funding for anti-AIDS and antipoverty programs in Africa, blah,
blah, blah, we hear bandmates Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr. headed
for the Canadian border after the Tuesday show.

And who could blame them? It was a Beautiful Day in Toronto yesterday -
sunny and in the high 60s!

But back in Boston, The Edge didn't exactly have A Room at the
Heartbreak Hotel. The wool-capped Dubliner took refuge from the rain at
the Ritz-Carlton Boston Common.

All four rockers will be back at the FleetCenter tonight for their
second sold-out show and are expected to stay put until after their
Saturday night gig. Party, party, party . . .

GO BONO - :yes:

Jamila said:
Here is why Bono was meeting with Rice .... and it didn't seem like a social call.

Bono to Condi: All I Want is You to aid Third World
By Gayle Fee and Laura Raposa
Thursday, May 26, 2005 - Updated: 02:51 AM EST

While the Hub breathlessly panted All I Want Is U(2), Bono and most of
the boys blew off Boston yesterday for Canada - and Condoleezza!

The Irish band's activist frontman blew town after the first sold-out
U2 show at the FleetCenter and landed in the nation's capital in the
wee hours. Then at noon yesterday, he took a private lunch meeting with
Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice in one of the State Department's
diplomatic dining rooms.

Bono and Condi, who squeezed the rocker into her schedule between a
closed meeting with former German Chancellor Helmut Kohl and a sitdown
with Indonesian prez Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, are old pals from her
days as National Security Adviser.

They've chatted a few times about Africa, HIV/AIDS and help to foreign
countries - all topics near and dear to Bono.

But apparently, the celeb activist Still Hasn't Found What (He's)
Looking For, because he requested yet another meeting with Madame
Secretary to plead his case!

As you can imagine, the shades-sporting rock star created quite a stir
at the State Department, where starstruck staffers rushed to the Ben
Franklin Room with their camera phones.

"She told Bono, 'They don't usually do this for me,'" said Rice's
spokesguy, Noel Clay.

While Bono was busy on the Beltway lobbying the Bush administration to
boost funding for anti-AIDS and antipoverty programs in Africa, blah,
blah, blah, we hear bandmates Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr. headed
for the Canadian border after the Tuesday show.

And who could blame them? It was a Beautiful Day in Toronto yesterday -
sunny and in the high 60s!

But back in Boston, The Edge didn't exactly have A Room at the
Heartbreak Hotel. The wool-capped Dubliner took refuge from the rain at
the Ritz-Carlton Boston Common.

All four rockers will be back at the FleetCenter tonight for their
second sold-out show and are expected to stay put until after their
Saturday night gig. Party, party, party . . .

GO BONO - :yes:

Jamilia,

Here's my take based on this article.

It was written by 2 ppl who lean left and that's ok.:hug:

Even tho the authors lean left there are a few undeniable things that stand out.

1. Bono and Condi are friendly with each other as I heard it from Bono's lips on CSPAN before.

2.Bono has friends from all areas of the policital spectrum, I dont think he is using these ppl, I think he really likes ppl from the right, left or in the middle-the same wway he likes Christians Muslims Buddists and Hindis.

3.About 75-85 % of Bono's polictical philophies/ideologies lean left.
If a person doesnt think that -than that person is delusional.

However, I think Bono doesn't like ppl lesss if they do not think the way he does, he only tries to present his view and then tries to persuade them to his line of thinking..:)
If f he can't convince them he still respects them and continues his friendship with them.

Thats all.

peace,

db9

Last edited:
am I the only one who doesn't think Bono should get to meet with Condi (not vice versa)? I don't exactly love the Bush administration, but they've got tons of people who are far more educated on these matters. Bono's a rock star, part-time "activist" or whatever, but there are tons of people who actually lobby or legislate, uh, full-time. I just sort of flinch to see Bono up there looking all important with high-ranking members of government. I highly doubt any policies have changed as a result of his meetings with them, despite what some some newspaper says. It sorta strikes me as a double-sided photo-op. Gov't thinks they'll be perceived as more "hip," and Bono gets to be seen saving the world. I wish he would just donate money personally, write some songs on the topic, name-drop orgs on the liner notes, and maybe suggest that you check out a stall set up by a good organisation at the concert. That's enough, I think. That seems like what he's done in previous tours and I wish he'd keep it that way...cos I think it'd piss fewer people off and would be more effective, not to mention less embarrassing.

:ohmy:

Ft. Worth Frog said:
Bono is acting appropriately IMHO. He is doing what he said he would do a decade ago "Abusing his position".

I suppose, but I can't help but flinch when I see this type of thing. And not because of who he's meeting with, but the fact that he's even there at all. Whatever...

Yahweh_OMG said:
Do something else than meeting ugly Politicians like she and her group of monkeys are!!!!!

:madspit:

:sigh:...sure, he can do something else, but again, totally shutting off the other side still doesn't exactly help get this issue resolved any quicker. This is a BIG effort, and it's going to take people from both sides to get it resolved.

Also, VertigoGal, while I agree with you about the way some politicians in Washington are probably viewing this, at the same time, Bono is known as "The Pest" on Capitol Hill. Perhaps he realizes that this administration could be doing so much more, and therefore is thinking that the longer he keeps pestering these people, the sooner they'll finally go, "All right, all right, already, we'll do what you say."

Angela

I just highly doubt they're actually gonna change policies based on something a rock star occasional pops in and complains about. What's he gonna threaten them with, more photo ops?:wink:

also, I don't think people *should* legislate based on what Bono says. of course we should do more, but it's not as simple as "making poverty history." he should be the publicity-getter for the organisation, but that's about it, imo. give the full time activists more credit.

VertigoGal said:
I just highly doubt they're actually gonna change policies based on something a rock star occasional pops in and complains about. What's he gonna threaten them with, more photo ops?:wink:

also, I don't think people *should* legislate based on what Bono says. of course we should do more, but it's not as simple as "making poverty history." he should be the publicity-getter for the organisation, but that's about it, imo. give the full time activists more credit.

na·ïve·té..at it's finest.

db9:wink:

diamond said:

na·ïve·té..at it's finest.

db9:wink:

Truly. One doesn't get nominated for the Nobel peace prize (several times) for doing photo-ops.
But Bono certainly would agree it's not as simple as "making poverty history". It's a very complex issue, and he's proven many times that he's done his homework. People end up listening to him because he knows what he's talking about. And yes, he has made a difference.

biff said:

Truly. One doesn't get nominated for the Nobel peace prize (several times) for doing photo-ops.
But Bono certainly would agree it's not as simple as "making poverty history". It's a very complex issue, and he's proven many times that he's done his homework. People end up listening to him because he knows what he's talking about. And yes, he has made a difference.

precisely.

db9

Ft Worth Frog, Republicans might not think monolithically, but these days, they are forced to ACT monolithically, with tangible and immediate consequences for those who do not, and step out of line and become moderates. To an extant, this is also true these days of those in the leftist Demcoratic camp. But I cas NEVER forget that this legacy of legislative extremism began and came to fruition in the Republican-controlled Congress of Newt Gingrich, and all of Repubvpican Washington these days are his bastard stepchildren Anyone under 45, anyway. The 200-0 vote did NOT exist before him. It didn''t. And the extrremism of Gingrich forstered and helped nurture the current exremism of Reid's left. It's like pre-emptive warL if one side can do it and be sucessful, then the other side will follow the dog's lead. That does not excuse one or the other, but I can never forget where it began, And Bush not only does nothing to try to get a way out of this poisonous politcal morass, he actually encourages it. "Divide and conquer", the first maxim of imperialism. This was evident by the recent filbuster fight. In the end, thankfully, ordinary citizens provoked the indiuals who now call themselves the "Gang of 14."

This is the one element of hope I have in all this. If we expect any sort of action to come from the top, we are talking out of our rear ends. Sorry to be so vulgar, but it's true. With each day that passes, it' becoming more and more clear to me that we CANNOT be content to do what we have done in the past; sit back and wait for them to act. We can' assume that if a serious problem arises, they'll act on If a nuclesr power plant blew up tomorrow, they'd only bicker. I swear, they couldn't probably even agree on aid for California if (GOD FORBID) the Big One hits. As far as government goes, goverment as an organism is dead. IN the US, it no longer exists. UNless you're a potential terrorist. Then, your soul is theirs.

Our Goverment officals these days are little more than passive lumps of clay that will only stir if kicked into action. They've grown too fond of their perks. They won;t take the intiative on a damned thing. So it's up to US to do the kicking. The American people have to stand up and get out of our :censored: Lay-Z-Boys and computer screens and start poking and prodding these cows chewing the cud. If we adopted Focus on the Family's or Karl Rove's tactiocs, I wonder just what they WOULD so. A lot has been done, but we have not done enough.

And Biff, and others: I see you didn't quote the "Let's wait and see" part of my post. You didn't notice my phrase "delicate balancing act." either.

Last: I join the others who are curious about this: what DOES Liberal mean? For all those who vilify the term so heatedly. And I don't want in your reply the same old tired rhetoric about "tax and spend, pork-barrel, morally corrupt, femi-Nazi, anti-faith, Big Government, Hollywood" etc. NO rehtoric, I'm sick of the same stock answers. I'd liie an in-depth discussion of what those terms MEAN< and give exampes of why they're so damaging. I want an example of just what it means to YOU, an example of a single law passed that stands for liberalism. I want in many sentances what makes it so Hitler-ish evil. And don't throw out Clinton' name either. Sit down and THINK in your own language, not that of Fox News. (MAybe this is an FYM topic.)

Personally, I think Bono's attitude on the War on Terror is the same as his historical attirude about the IRA: he generally supprted the goal (a politically unified Ireland) but violently disagreed with them on the means to that end. And within that defination, for him, was an realization that the goal could never be achieved the way either side wanted it to...realities on the gorund prevented that, and maybe it was just as well. So he supported a mixed achivement of that goal. Likewise, he understands the need for the War on Terroism, (again, his acquanitance of violence precludes any sort out and out hippie pacifism, and I can relate to this--I'd love to be a strict pacifist but my Armenian background prevents this; at the same time, my family's brush with totalitarian oppression and genocide makes me violently antagonistic to the concept of pre-emptive anything, ano matter the cost, becuase I can relate to those who pay the price)but if you think he equates the invasion of Afghanistan to the invasion of Iraq, and if you think he favors things like the Patriot Act and Gitmo, you have a screw loose. It;s just that he's lucky enough not to be an American and has not been pressured to comment publicly on this.

I think his answer would upset BOTH sodes. We'd likely cast him out, if he had to answer; because tpelrance is slippojg away int his country....

Last edited:
Darned right, I'm angry. I'm angry because I can't do anything more than do the old stock things I've done in the past. Call a Congressman. E-mail. I can't solicit at work ( I'd LOVE to be able to put up a "ONE" campaign poster at work. I:m angry because I'm a Christian who can't find a tolerant evangelical church in 100 mile s(f a tall) and feel the lack of fellowship, and am afriad I'd be kicked out the Congregation after I spoke two sentances for my views. I'm angry becuase I feel so HELPLESS.

Maybe I'm angry because I've read Amnesty International's annual Human Rights Report today and know that evert single word printed about us is:censored: TRUE. US, damn it, the UNITED STATES.

We can talk allwe want aobvut acting out of love, compassion, caring, whatever. But at the root of it all is ANGER. RIGHTEOUS anger. It's different than destructive anger. Jesus and MLK were, in a sense, very angry people. Wel, Jesus didn't have an angry bone in His Body, but when He moved through the Temple smashing the money-changer';s stalls, it was rightous anger. That's more of the kind of anger I hope to see. I'm angry to because I;m just as guilty of indifference as the rest feel frustrated. Starting a grouo won;t do a damned thing other than making me feel god aobut myself.

If those in power won;t respond..of if I think they won't....what good can it do?

And no homiles, Jamila, please. I AM angry right now.

BTW, was that you at Madison Sq Gardem Jamila, at the One booth, wearing black glasses? If not, was she an Interrferencer?

Ft. Worth Frog said:

I think it depends on your meaning of the word "liberal". Do you mean "classical liberal" as in the thoughts and writings of men like Adam Smith or do you mean modern liberal like Howard Dean or Ted Kennedy?

I think what Sting is saying is correct...I'm sure the man can't be pigeonholed into thinking like one group. The way many people around here talk, you would think he was at the head of ANSWER, MoveOn.Org, etc. Painting with a broad stroke is lumping all Rice, helms, Rumsfield into one box. Do people honestly think Republicans think monolithically?

I just want to add that I am a huge Rice fan...She is one of the smartest Sec. of State in a while. Too bad she did not get the opportunity during the 80s. She is quite the expert on the USSR as evident by her academic journal articles on the topic.

Actually Ft.Worth Frog I don't completely agree with the classical or modern version of "liberal". My views come from decades of seeing/wishing for the type of party I would totally throw all my efforts behind. I haven't found this yet. But I will take a Kennedy Dean (in small doses) ideology anyday over the current administration.
This administration represents everything I have tried to fight aganist with my vote(s) and personal beliefs. I will never believe that President Cheney, I mean Bush has the USA as a collective whole, best interest at heart.
President Bush will have to do something so profound that I would change my mind and I don't believe his cronies will let him do it. So far they haven't no matter what Bush claims to want, supposively it get's blamed on HIS congress.
I've lived it and I see what's happening and it disturbes greatly.. That's all, just my opinion in a sea of many.
And just for the record, I don't believe all Rebublicans are greedy, evil, right wing, conservative fanatics, either..:wink:

why attack me, Teta040 - I've not even disagreed with you? :scratch:

and diamond, I truly appreciate your reasoning. Even though I'm sure we're on different sides of the political spectrum, I appreciate your willingness to look at Bono realistically and your ability to disagree amicably.

I wish we could always be like that.

And, no, I wasn't at MSG (would have loved to have been though). :yes:

Very nice......but does it matter.....have you looked at the world lately? At least Bono is still trying. I've given up on this world.

:|

Teta040 said:

And Biff, and others: I see you didn't quote the "Let's wait and see" part of my post. You didn't notice my phrase "delicate balancing act." either.

I quoted only those remarks to which I was responding, and about which I felt I needed to make some comment. I'm sorry that I didn't quote your entire remarks, but there was already plenty. I'm not trying to be rude, but there's only so much time and space and mental energy. You haven't actually responded to my remarks either. It needs to work both ways, no?
I believe, as to the political fundamentals, that we're on the same page.
But I feel you diminish your argument by allowing your anger and emotion to cloud the many valid points you're trying to make.

Anyway.... As the great man said, "Baby, can we still be friends"?

Jamila, I'm not attacking you. (!!!!!) I wasn't speaking out against "One campaign"!! I was just wishing I had Bono's "time and money" that's all.

FYI, I want you folks to know that I'm reading Jeffrey Sachs's book right now "THe End of Poverty". Well worth the money. I'm just finishing the section where he tells of how the West, and America in particular, let Russia rot in the 90's, one of THe great missed opportunities in history. I'm also reading the Africa section and if anything it;s makingme even sicker than what I've known already.

I admire this guy now more than ever. HOW does he do allthis and still have hope, though he;s personally witnessed more mass stupidity than most people do in a lifetime.

You could say this about Bono too.

*Sigh* Sorry to any I offended.

Back to the topic though...I notice Bono[s response to Bush was a masterprice of subtlety, designed to make BOTH sides ahamed of themselves. On the one hand, he says "ggod intention so fo Bush were not enough", the bUsh peoiplke will look at this and KNOW it wasn;t just that which casueds ti to fail. The public will hopefully pick up on the the fact that Bono is calling them to do more, to mean that they too need to step up thier efforts.

Bono for Capitol Hill. We nned him right now....

Back
Top Bottom