(05-23-2005) Bono Goes 'Pop' -- Launch*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Bono Goes "Pop"

Bono has revealed that U2 were disappointed with their 1997 album "POP".

The Number One album features the singles "Discotheque", "Staring at the Sun", "Last Night On Earth", "Please" and "If God Will Send His Angels".

Bono told the Chicago Tribune: "There is still talk about the band going back in and fixing "Pop", actually going in because the bones of a great album are there."

"It didn't communicate the way it was intended to. It became a niche record. That's not what it was intended to be. If we'd just had another month, we could have finished it."

The frontman blamed the end results of the pressure of hitting a deadline determined by the start date of their Popmart world tour.

He added: " We let the manager book the tour, known in this camp as the worst decision U2 ever made, and we had to wrap up the album sooner than we wanted."

"There were great ideas on that album [but] we didn't have the discipline to screw the thing down."

He has also revealed that the band once turned down a £12.5 million offer to use the track "Where the Streets Have No Name" in an advert.

"I know from my work in Africa what £12.5 million could buy [but] when we played it, people would go, 'That's the such-and-such commercial' [and] we couldn't live with it."

--Launch

Remixing and reproducing 'Pop' would be really strange and ultimately unneccesary. I don't think they should dwell in the past, cause as soon as they do, they're The Rolling Stones.

All of the 'going back to the beginning' talk is annoying enough, I want exploration and experimentation. 'Pop' was an experiment, and it went wrong, but I'd kill for them to take that sort of risk on the next album. I want to know, as a fan, that U2 is still capable of taking me where I've never been.

'Pop' is 'Pop', let it be, and concentrate on the present and future, cause that's where bands have to live in order to stay relevant.

I think the band already took a crack at reworking "Pop" with the remixes done for the second Best Of collection. Once you walk down that road, it's hard to pull back. If U2 did rework "Pop," what next? And could the guys be sure that version was up to snuff or would they need to go back and rework the reworked version?

:huh: I'm really not sure if it's a good idea! POP wasn't that bad...so why going back and trying to re-record it??? They're doing really well now with HTDAAB...The only question is WHY?

What is really THAT wrong with "Pop"?????????????????
It contained some great songs (Please, Gone, Wake Up Dead Man etc.). Although HTDAAB is a good record that really does grow on you there is nothing as powerful as "Gone" on it - at least in my humble opinion. So forget re-making "Pop" and just put out another collection of new songs instead.

Because Larry Mullen Jr's brutal honesty....
Thats the fact, he wants to rework it, he didn't like Pop....

Bono say "no" to Larry.........
Pop is such a great record

lol. Its been a well known fact for years now that the band as a whoel don't like Pop, saying it was unfinished. And they're talking about fixing it, which to me doesn't sound like remixing it. I'm guessing the remixes for the Best Of were like putting a band-aid on a cut, not a permanent solution.

Yip, its a cracking record as is, but I'd love to hear an alternative version, the way they intended it to be. And the fact they're still talking about it is promising :)

Sorry for Where I put this but it's a bit of a bombshell.
From Breakingnews.ie

U2 set to re-record Pop
24/05/2005 - 15:02:12

U2 are stepping back in time to release a brand new version of their 1997 album POP - because they were disappointed with the original result.

Charismatic frontman Bono admits touring commitments led to the release being rushed and unfinished, and the band are keen to work Pop up to the spectacular standard of their other albums.

Bono reveals: "There is still talk about the band going back in and fixing Pop, actually going in because the bones of a great album are there.

"It didn't communicate the way it was intended to. It became a niche record. That's not what it was intended to be. If we'd just had another month, we could have finished it."

And Bono confesses the band, who are touring North America, made a crucial mistake in allowing their manager to take control of their touring schedule - which resulted in the Vertigo stars having to
finish work on the record earlier than intended.

He's not saying that they are going to remake it.

Anyway, it sounds like they're still frustrated about it and still feel like the album doesn't sound finished.

I think one of the things that have been keeping this band together is that they really enjoy their work and have fun while doing it. If remaking POP does it, they should go ahead (although I love POP the way it is).

Last edited:
Oh no... don't do it guys!
Concentrate on not making another not-so-good-and-inovative album in the future, instead.
Make ANOTHER Pop album (meaning - explore the music!) (don't look back in anger... :huh: ) :wink:

I CANNOT believe that U2 would ruin what is their finest piece of work in such a way. In my opinion, Boy and Pop are their best albums, and Pop just edges it for the maturity.

I've go so fed up with the band saying that it was a mistake. I have everything U2 ever recorded in my collection, and have seen them more times than I can remember live. They used to be my whole life.

But the new versions of Pop songs on the greatest hits were dreadful, and I'm just depressed at them slagging off Pop. The tour started badly because they hadn't had enough rehearsal time - not because there was anything wrong with the songs.

I do remember reading some comments in Propaganda from fans for whom Pop was a step too far into the unknown. But if those fans had taken the time to let the album in under their skin, they would have been saying quite the opposite.

I suppose U2 weren't used to criticism from their long term fans, or something. So now they are putting out safe, commercial albums. Which are still a million miles better than most of the dross that's out there, but which are NOT up to standard as far as a lot of the oldest fans are concerned.

They are more concerned now with being the biggest band in the world, rather than the best.

I'm now ducking and running for cover!!!!

:mad: I don't see Bono as an "apostle of God" and I hate when people put things that way instead of trying to see further.

He's just someone who :censored:cares for people dying of starvation and of disease in an unfair world. I wish other influent people would care half of what he does.

:yes: :sexywink: I agree with Chill! Yes-let it be!!! It wasn't that bad to me, at the time. But why dwell in the past? I am always ready to move on and explore With the band in what's next!:rockon: Is good they keep on growing!!:wink:

The most exciting period musically for me, by a long long long shot, was AB --> Zooropa --> Pop.

No matter what they do with Pop, we'll still have the original and it won't be a major new release they take years over. I'd be quite interested to see what it sounds like tbh.

MumblingBono said:
POP-remake news is good message board fodder. Nothing more.

Bono must resume his duties as an apostle of God the minute this tour ends. How are they going to get around to re-recording POP?

I think Bono means very well in his fight against poverty and aids, etc. But I think he's being a bit naive to be honest. Dropping the debt is one thing, but I think there'd be a huge price to pay for that. The debt would be replaced with some other form of opression. It also upset me how Bono went on and on about the Late John Paul 11, as his stance on condoms didn't help the AIDS situation in Africa.

Finally - I couldn't stomach Bono singing Bullet the Blue Sky any more, as he's got in bed with the Bush and Blair to get them onside in his campaign, but those of us who've been around him for a while KNOW that he'd have been the first one in the queue to complain about the Iraq war a few years ago.

Back on topic - I'm glad that we will always have the original Pop album - no matter what the band decide to do. I'm just not going to listen to the new version if it comes out - unless very reliable sources tell me I'm cutting off my nose to spite my face.

Oh, I'm going to listen to it. And I probably will enjoy it. If it happens - but I doubt it. But I think POP is fine the way it is. It will be remembered. People actually seem more positive about this album now. I guess it needed some time. And I have always said POP was ahead of its time. POP will be remembered as a fresh and exciting record that people needed time to understand. I listened to the album today, and it still sounds new and fresh. No don't go back. I think U2 should accept POP and be proud of it. Don't look at it as a failure, but rather think of it as an experimental record that they should be musically proud of, even though it didn't reach the BIG masses (but it did - just not in the scale of U2).

Last edited:
Harry Vest said:
What is really THAT wrong with "Pop"?????????????????
It contained some great songs (Please, Gone, Wake Up Dead Man etc.). Although HTDAAB is a good record that really does grow on you there is nothing as powerful as "Gone" on it - at least in my humble opinion. So forget re-making "Pop" and just put out another collection of new songs instead.

Yeah, just what is wrong with POP? (that's a retorical ? don't try to explain anymore - I've already read it all)

For those of us, well - speaking only for myself - it is - what it is and I love it.

I'll listen, of course, if it's remade - just because I'm curious.
But I agree with the comment(s): how/what would they change and when would they have time to do it?:shrug:

Breakingnews.ie said:
U2 set to re-record Pop
24/05/2005 - 15:02:12

U2 are stepping back in time to release a brand new version of their 1997 album POP - because they were disappointed with the original result.

Bono reveals: "There is still talk about the band going back in and fixing Pop, actually going in because the bones of a great album are there.

That line Bono said has been blown out of proportion :rolleyes:. All Bono is saying is that they still talk about re-doing POP. Not thats it's going to happen for fact. Bono has not promised it, but they talk about it sometimes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom