(05-15-2006) One Game Changes Everything -- U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
One Game Changes Everything

‘It’s a simple thing – just a ball and a goal,’ explains Bono. ‘Every four years in June, ‘ adds Edge. “Sick days increase by 300%’. What’s it all about ? U2 are set to bring the football World Cup alive to millions of Americans in a multi-media initiative between World Cup organizers FIFA and the broadcasters ESPN Inc. and ABC Sports.

The band’s songs, live performance and voiceovers are all part of the “One Game Changes Everything” campaign while City of Blinding Lights is to become ESPN’s official World Cup Song.

“Our goal is to make World Cup soccer meaningful and relevant to American sports fans,” said Katie Lacey at ESPN. “We show the passion that fans around the world have through compelling stories that are set to the music of U2.’

At U2.Com we’ll have the clips for you – beautifully shot by the way – in a few hours time. And we’ll be keeping you updated as the campaign comes together with the opening match of the World Cup just weeks away.

As Bono puts it in one of the spots, ‘If history means anything, the world as we know it, is about to change!’

More on the campaign here.

--U2.com

So wait, is this part of a One Campaign, or have they finally totally sold over to corporate sponsorship?

Granted they like soccer, but I don't really like this...

I don't think they sold out. There sponsoring a sport, not a corporation.

Dr. Lemonseed said:
Granted they like soccer, but I don't really like this...

Oh, :madspit: Another one of these debates? It's a sport! Can't the guys support something that they all enjoy and that has the power to bring the world together?? If you don't like the idea of them using their music on a global scale then you should choose a different band to follow. I'm sure they either were not paid for this or the money went to a good cause (ONE). Speaking as an American who doesn't really care for "soccer" too much, I am really excited about this...I might become a fan yet!

Why didn't Larry do a voice-over? He seems to be the biggest fan.

Good to hear Adam's voice!!

i don't understand how somebody can complain?? i LOVE IT! i'm so proud of the boys.. the world cup's theme is a huge deal.. and their voices sound so sweet!!!

I love seeing U2 everywhere.

The thing is, this kind of media deal brings us about five years away from having Streets playing in a car commercial - and that is not cool.

Not at all. :sad: :(

jeesus they are promoting a sport that they love in a country where that said sport is growing, they werent paid, the even happens every 4 years, and it does bring the world together,

so no they have not "sold out"

Hey guys!!!

I'm excited as WELL!!!!:wink:

I don't believe they sold out:huh: they can support a great sport!!!!

Looking forward to start wearing that Irish Football shirt I have:wink:

Bless them!
Cathxxx

also...........this isnt the first time this has happend, the also leant "beautiful day" to ITV's the premiership back in the ATYCLB days

Another U2 fan site reported that they didn't receive any money for the deal. It was just a swap of music for exposure and I'm sure a game that they all enjoy. Very cool commercials.

Back
Top Bottom