(05-14-2005) Bono Does Well as Bono Does Good - Philly Daily News*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2 DOES WELL AS BONO DOES GOOD

By LARRY ATKINS

TODAY AND Sunday, May 22, will be Beautiful Days for Philly fans of the Irish rock group U2, which will play at the Wachovia Center as part of the Vertigo Tour.

In March, U2 was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall Fame. Deservedly so. As far as rock bands go, U2 deserves to be on Mount Rushmore, along with the Beatles, the Who and the Rolling Stones.

The Beatles were the musical equivalent of Baseball's Sandy Koufax - six or seven dominant years of musical genius. U2 is more like Steve Carlton or Warren Spahn - consistent excellence over 22 years.

The band consists of Bono (Paul Hewson), the Edge (Dave Evans), Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen. They released their first album "Boy" in 1980 and "October" in 1981, but their breakthrough came in 1983 with "War," featuring the hits "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "New Year's Day." They have two hits off their new album, "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb."

What makes U2 stand out is their excellence and relevance over such a long span. No other rock band can match U2 in this regard. The Stones were great and they still put on a good show, but they haven't had a hit album since "Tattoo You" in 1981. The Who hasn't released a studio album since 1982, and they've spent more time apart than together since then.

It's remarkable that U2, a bunch of guys in their mid-40s, still connect so intensely with their fans. The first set of Vertigo shows in Philadelphia in May sold out the 20,000-seat Wachovia Center in around 15 minutes. Two September shows sold out in around two hours.

It was the Live Aid concert in 1985 that catapulted U2 into superstar status. It's appropriate that a humanitarian band stole the show at a humanitarian event.

Lots of bands and musical artists play charity concerts. But U2 has emerged as this generation's voice of social conscience through their music and their deeds. Bono is on his way to becoming as significant a figure as Mother Teresa, Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King Jr. He's equaled the energy and social conscience of John Lennon. Bono is believed to be one of the 144 nominees for this year's Nobel Peace Prize.

Recently, Bono and a host of prominent entertainers, celebrities, and politicians formed the One Campaign, which was launched last year in Philadelphia and is Bono's latest attempt to help Africa and Third World countries. Bono is the co-founder of Debt, AIDS, Trade, Africa (DATA), an organization that works to raise awareness of the crisis facing Africa.

Among DATA's goals is to fight the AIDS crisis through fund-raising and providing drugs, development assistance and urging wealthy countries around the world to relieve the unpayable debts of African countries.

In explaining how he got involved with social causes, Bono has said that his journey began in 1985, the summer of Live Aid, when he and his wife worked at an orphanage in Ethiopia for a month. "We found Africa to be a magical place - big skies, big hearts, big shining continent, beautiful royal people... Anyway, on our last day at this orphanage, a man handed me his baby and said, 'Would you take my son with you?'

"And he knew in Ireland that his son would live, and that in Ethiopia, his son would die. It was the middle of that awful famine. Well, I turned him down, and it was a funny kind of sick feeling, but I turned him down, and it's a feeling I can't ever quite forget."

Many people believe that entertainers should just shut up and play, not preach about social causes. They also say that artists are out of the mainstream and don't influence the public.

But after an era of Britney Spears and 'N Sync-type frivolity, musicians are again becoming socially relevant and speaking out against injustice. There's a strong tradition of this, like Woody Guthrie's music, Vietnam protest songs, the No Nukes concerts, Live Aid and Amnesty International.

Throughout the years, musicians have proven that music can make a difference. You may say that Bono's a dreamer. But hopefully he's not the only one.

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/news/opinion/11645550.htm

What an awful article.

No seriously, if we remove our bias and the fact that he is talking about U2(good on him), the way it was written was really quite mediocre.

Oh well, it wont stop the mindless berks responding with "Great article!" will it..?

Last edited:
As the mindless berk who Bono asked to take his picture with (yes, Bono ASKED ME if he could take his pic with me) after we spoke a few minutes about the ONE Campaign, DATA and Africa, I'm proud to say "Great Article" - because it is.

This is the sort of publicity that the Chicago media should have given the B-man and U2. :wink:

Finally, an article from a critic who "gets it". I can accept not liking U2. But if you are like Jim Deragotis (at the Chicago Sun-Times, who deserves every insult thrown at him), who chastises U2 for doing something they've done for 20+ years (with regards to their social conscience), then clearly you are a moron. To debase U2's concert for their preachiness is like to insult the Pope for being Catholic. If this isn't for you, then admit it and move on - let someone who knows how to review a concert with an open, unbiased mind do the work. Jim Deragotis is the most worthless writer at the Sun-Times. How he keeps his job is beyond me. If I were an editor, he would have lost his job eons ago. He only likes unknown unheard of bands - have an ounce of success and he rips you to shreds. Fortunately, everyone I know in the 30's and 40's who has read his work hates him and those in their 20's or younger have no idea who he is. He hasn't made a dent in the world - Bono has.

I agree doctorwho. Anyone who chasties U2 for their current take on politics during the Vertigo tour needs to wake up. What does he want? Straight up music that is only about superficial beauty? That's pop. But if he wants music from the earth thats raw in energy and honest, that's rock. If Jim the columnist doesn't like U2's sense of social conscience and politics (even the white flag thing from the 80s) then he must not approve of every album or tour from War on. And he must not like the Bealtes, John Lennon, the Doors, CCR, Bob Dylan, Springsteen, and anything from the 60s rock revolution. Exactly what does Jim want out of rock?

Whats gets me is that these "critics" just
don't get it. For better or worse, Bono is
a socially concious person. He cares about
people, and Africa in particular.
It seems these "critics" come from the
same mindset as those that yell "shut up already, play some music."
Well....it ain't gonna happen. Bono is going to continue to be a "pain in the
arse," in his own words, and use his
celeb power to help let it be known
the plight of the poor, etc.
Me thinks these "critics" are just jealous of Bono. So what's there to do
but just bash him at every oppurtunity.
While they're bashing Bono, Bono is
making a difference and helping the
world.
In closing. Bono deserves the Nobel Peace Prize. I bet someday he will get it!

I went to that show last night, and what an amazing show it was. Bono pulled two little girls onstage and asked them their names. After they told him, he said "My name is Paul, but me friends call me Bono," and the crowd went nuts. Acoustic version of 'Yahweh' was amaaazing. Just an overall fantastic, powerful performance. Was anyone else there?

Tennis05 said:
Straight up music that is only about superficial beauty? That's pop.

Ehhh...well, to be fair, not all pop music is like that. There's other kinds of pop aside from the bubblegum stuff, in which case, I'd agree with your description.

But anywho, heh, the thing I always get a kick out of when people criticize musicians for their social consciousness and tell them to shut up and just focus on their music is that if those same musicians didn't get involved, they'd be criticized for that. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't. Make up your minds, people.

Anywho, I personally thought the article was nice.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom