(05-12-2005) Kings Reign With U2 - Rolling Stone*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Kings Reign With U2
Tennessee rockers reveal the highs and lows of playing with the world's biggest band

"We've always heard that we shouldn't open for a really big band because they'll put you on the corner of a stage, turn you down and make you look small," says Caleb Followill, frontman for Kings of Leon, who are halfway through a U.S. tour with U2. "But out here, nobody treats us like an opening act."

Bono and his boys' relaxed touring schedule has also given the four Followills --- brothers Nathan, 25, Caleb, 23, Jared, 18, and their cousin Matt, 20 -- the chance to play smaller secondary gigs at certain tour stops to promote their new album, Aha Shake Heartbreak.

The Kings met U2 last October, when they were summoned to the band's dressing room after a taping of the British music program CD: UK. "We were like, 'All right!'" remembers Nathan, the drummer. "We ordered some drinks, and we all sat around talking about shit. The funny thing was that they knew a lot more about us than we knew about them." Two weeks later KOL were invited to open all twenty-six of U2's spring gigs.

Things got off to a slow start. "Those first two nights in San Diego, we sold a total of seven T-shirts," says Nathan. But U2 have taken the band under their wing, talking them up in the press, encouraging fans to come out early, and upgrading the lighting and visual effects during the Kings' sets. Even so, says Caleb, "if people in the crowd are treating us wrong, at this point we're like, 'Fuck it.' We think about U2 and what an honor this is and how we don't want to disrespect them, but if we're bringing the intensity and people are being disrespectful, we'll spit on them just like it was our crowd."

In Seattle, on April 25th, the Kings hit their stride. "Eddie Vedder came out and sang 'Slow Night, So Long' with us," says Nathan. "We blew the fucking roof off the place."

And then there are the perks: all the beautiful girls ("Bono's got a couple of cutie daughters," says Nate, with due respect) and late nights with celebs. "It's funny watching famous young bands come out to see U2, and they can't even get within earshot," says Caleb. "Me and Nathan were drunk, sitting between Eddie, Bono and Larry, the drummer. Bill Gates was sitting across the room. We wanted to say to him, 'Just fart out a million bucks and give it to us.'"

And what do the boys say to Bono? "Whatever the hell he wants," says Nathan. "If we don't know what he's talking about, we have a friend Google it, then give Bono some tidbits so we sound intelligent."

The party is on for the Kings. "We're going straight to rehab after this tour," says Nathan. "A Betty Ford clinic just happens to be in Chattanooga, not far from our place. Mom can visit on the weekend and bring us fresh socks and cigarettes."

AUSTIN SCAGGS
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/7304601/kingsofleon?rssfeed=musicnews

This article can't make KoL's image better. They sound like stupid frat boys who only want to party and hit on Bono's daughters :down:

At the Phoenix show, they said something like "this is our best reception yet," which I thought was sad, because it was lukewarm at best.

I did yell "yeah Kings of Leon" just to encourage them a bit, and several other people yelled too.

What they didn't know is that I was being mostly sarcastic.

Well, anyway. I wish they had a different vocalist.

Well...they pretty much are kids.

Hell if I was 18 or in my early twenties and playing gigs opening for U2, I'd probably be living it up as well. But until that happens, I'll be content playing the occasional show here in NYC and chatting it up with my wife at the bar! That'll show 'em!!!

I don't think this makes them look bad at all. I've seen a pic somewhere of Bono's oldest daughter and she is a cutie. There's nothing wrong with saying that.

What I actually think looks really bad is that KOL has been greeted by such disrespectful U2 audiences in some cities. Everyone I know who gave them a chance actually enjoyed KOL as an opening band. Unfortunately there is a lot of bullshit elitism in the U2 camp that doesn't really make room for different sounding bands. I just don't get why people are assholes and start booing and everything. In Chicago on the 9th Caleb thanked us for being respectful and a lot of people on the floor were really digging a lot of their songs. On the 10th he thanked us again and even gave a "god bless ya" to the crowd cuz I know a lot of people in the ellipse were making a lot of noise for them, myself included.

ImOuttaControl said:
I don't think this makes them look bad at all. I've seen a pic somewhere of Bono's oldest daughter and she is a cutie. There's nothing wrong with saying that.

What I actually think looks really bad is that KOL has been greeted by such disrespectful U2 audiences in some cities. Everyone I know who gave them a chance actually enjoyed KOL as an opening band. Unfortunately there is a lot of bullshit elitism in the U2 camp that doesn't really make room for different sounding bands. I just don't get why people are assholes and start booing and everything. In Chicago on the 9th Caleb thanked us for being respectful and a lot of people on the floor were really digging a lot of their songs. On the 10th he thanked us again and even gave a "god bless ya" to the crowd cuz I know a lot of people in the ellipse were making a lot of noise for them, myself included.

I agree.
Cheer on the kids...don't boo 'em.
Somewhere along the line someone gave a bunch of kids called U2 a shot.

Last edited:
the article pretty much represents who that band is. they have an image, just like every other band.

the kings use their party boy image to help sell records. everyone has an angle. they are just milking it for what it is worth in the media. i have no problem with that, and i definitely do not take it too seriously.

i actually like some of their recorded stuff, but live i thought they were not so impressive. i definitely think it is lame to boo them. just let them play without being total assholes to them. it only lasts 45 minutes anyway.

i do wonder what bono thinks of that comment about his 14 and 16 year old daughters by a 25 year old dude, though.

My sense is that there is a bit of a "mob mentality" here on Interference with regard to KOL. They've become the band that people hate mostly because everyone else does.

I enjoyed the band's performance the two times I saw them.

caragriff said:

i actually like some of their recorded stuff, but live i thought they were not so impressive. i definitely think it is lame to boo them. just let them play without being total assholes to them. it only lasts 45 minutes anyway.

The reason I think live on this tour they are lacking is because they seldom get to soundcheck. Hard to sound great in an enormous arena when you dont get to do soundcheck.

They are OK, I dont see a reason to boo them, its not that bad. Personally I didnt care for PJ Harvey on Elevation. But I never booed her. KOL are better than her for me at least. Although I thought Garbage on Elevation 3rd leg was one of U2's better opening acts along with No Doubt. KOL pale in comparison to those two. At least U2 are giving a newer band an oppurtunity.

Back
Top Bottom