(05-07-2006) Rehberg Rubs Shoulders With U2's Bono -- Great Falls Tribune*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://cmsimg.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=G1&Date=20060507&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=605070307&Ref=AR&Profile=1002&MaxW=290[/SIMG]
Rehberg Rubs Shoulders With U2's Bono

U2 star Bono took time out from his rocker ways to chat this week with U.S. Rep. Denny Rehberg in Washington D.C. about foreign aid to Africa.

Rehberg sits on the Foreign Operations Appropriations Subcommittee. The legendary rocker is a strong advocate for the African nations and Rehberg complimented him for using his celebrity status for a good cause.

The meeting was an opportunity for Rehberg to pick Bono's brain.

The congressman asked why the United States should give money to Africa if there is no visible benefit in return, and whether the United States should give money to countries like Senegal if their goals don't match those of the United States.

bilde

Bono "is an authority on the success of U.S. foreign aid in Africa and what our government can do to ensure that taxpayer dollars devoted to this kind of assistance are well spent and accomplishing the goals of democracy and economic development," said Rehberg in a press release.

Earlier this year Rehberg traveled to Benin and Senegal to evaluate progress made by the countries applying for U.S. assistance.

The United States gives more than $20 billion annually in foreign aid to countries around the world.

— Chelsi Moy

Great Falls Tribune

I think the less said about this one the better.

Simply put, I think this was another insincere photo op by a cheesy politico.

The different looks on their two faces says it all for me. :eyebrow:

guill said:
The tie has a McPhisto vibe.

Actually, I thought the same thing. In fact, with the gold, I think he's sending a secret message to the fans to not take the photo too seriously.

I think this sentence write here says why Bono met with the senator:

"Rehberg sits on the Foreign Operations Appropriations Subcommittee."

If Rehberg sees that more money gets sent to Africa for AIDS, TB, malaria, infrastructure, water, etc. and gets a picture with Bono, seems like a win-win.

I like the part when he asks what would america get
in return if we gave money to africa. I think that about
sums it all up.

Back
Top Bottom