(04-29-2006) Edge Does JazzFest -- Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Edge Does JazzFest

Since the launch of MusicRising, fans have been speculating whether Edge or U2 would play at JazzFest, New Orleans annual music festival. After playing at the reopening of the Preservation Hall earlier this week, Edge took part in today's JazzFest, several news outlets report. Sean Daly, who's covering the festival for the St. Petersburg Times, wrote:

Rabid whispers of a surprise U2 appearance pinballed through the crowd when Bono's band buddy the Edge joined the NewBirth Brass Band for a sing-along rendition of Stand By Me. There's a reason why the Edge, who helped form a charity for displaced and distraught New Orleans musicians, is a guitar player and not a crooner. Still, it was a moving gesture of artistic solidarity.

The Northwest Indiana News adds:

The Edge, from supergroup U2, walked on during the New Birth Brass Band's already enthralling set, joining them as they sang "Stand By Me" in tribute to New Orleans. The group inserted its own new lyric, singing "New Orleans will never die" defiantly during the song.

Band leader and bass drum player Cayetano Hingle said his group, which was forced to relocate to Houston after Katrina, met U2 when the Irish rockers saw New Birth performing in the streets of New Orleans.

Though The Edge had said he might stop by to see the band perform at Jazz Fest, Hingle was still surprised.

"I looked to the side of the stage and I was shocked," he said, laughing.

Yahoo! has pictures of Edge, sporting his MusicRising shirt, at JazzFest that can be viewed here. Information on MusicRising can be found at www.musicrising.org.

U2.com has more about Edge at JazzFest, including pictures and a link to a webcast, here.

Last edited:
This support from Edge is just fantastic. And Jazz Fest is an amazing experinece this year. My first time and I've never seen anything like it.

I've had no luck accessing the MSN Webcast (perhaps it is Bill Gates' revenge on Mac users, but I cannot get the thing to load even though I have been using Internet Explorer rather than Safari.)

If people can get screen grabs or better yet, video clips, would you please post?

U2 were rumored much earlier in the year to be a part of Jazzfest this year, in the opening weekend. It was even posted as such on the JazzFest website. It just never happened. Of course it is obvious the hand Edge has had in Music Rising, and there was speculation at the least Edge would be there. Then the postponement of the last 10 dates of the Vertigo World Tour happened and it didn't look likely anything would come from the Edge camp regarding sitings or participation on a stage entertaining anyway, from the Edge. But alas, he did show up and lo and behold if Bono isn't also in town, checking out Galactic in a small club and word that they both would indeed perform, with Dave Matthews. Bono is in the states as he has the Dallas speaking engagement May 5th, so it's really no surprise he is seen in N.O. the last few days of April. I personally am thrilled they both made appearances, no matter how quietly or in what respect as this is indeed a pivotal time in the history of N.O. and the annual JazzFest. I do think this will be a very special Festival of the history of JazzFest simply because it is held at a time when the country and Jazz fans in general really need it. It helps send a message to all jazz fans and to music fans alike, that nothing, not even a hurrican can stop the music! Music's Rising alright. I applaud the Edge for his participation in resurrecting jazz in the city of New Orleans! :applaud: (I only wish I had made the trek there whish I was contemplating until a month ago!)

silvrlvr said:
This support from Edge is just fantastic. And Jazz Fest is an amazing experinece this year. My first time and I've never seen anything like it.

Were you able to see any of Edge's JazzFest performances? If so, would you want to write them up for Interference? Let me know.

Thanks!
Devlin Smith
Contributing Editor
Interference.com
devlin@interference.com

Carek1230 said:
U2 were rumored much earlier in the year to be a part of Jazzfest this year, in the opening weekend. It was even posted as such on the JazzFest website. It just never happened. Of course it is obvious the hand Edge has had in Music Rising, and there was speculation at the least Edge would be there. Then the postponement of the last 10 dates of the Vertigo World Tour happened and it didn't look likely anything would come from the Edge camp regarding sitings or participation on a stage entertaining anyway, from the Edge. But alas, he did show up and lo and behold if Bono isn't also in town, checking out Galactic in a small club and word that they both would indeed perform, with Dave Matthews. Bono is in the states as he has the Dallas speaking engagement May 5th, so it's really no surprise he is seen in N.O. the last few days of April. I personally am thrilled they both made appearances, no matter how quietly or in what respect as this is indeed a pivotal time in the history of N.O. and the annual JazzFest. I do think this will be a very special Festival of the history of JazzFest simply because it is held at a time when the country and Jazz fans in general really need it. It helps send a message to all jazz fans and to music fans alike, that nothing, not even a hurrican can stop the music! Music's Rising alright. I applaud the Edge for his participation in resurrecting jazz in the city of New Orleans! :applaud: (I only wish I had made the trek there whish I was contemplating until a month ago!)

Bono and Edge are such close friends, I can't imagine Edge being there without Bono.

However, I can understand Bono choosing NOT to be noticed. This is a rarity for Bono - we should enjoy. :sexywink: Seriously, this was Edge's event. If Bono played or sang, so much focus would be on him that poor Edge would almost be an after-thought. Worse, it might just spread Bono too thin - he's supporting everything. He can't do that - it will become insincere. Far better to take the low road here and let Edge enjoy the limelight.

As for Adam and Larry - I'm not sure. They rarely seem to do these types of charity events. They participate at the encouragement of the other band members, but I have never seen them do something solo like this. :shrug:

I just love watching over and over the video of Edge playing with Dave Matthews.....he's a great jazz guitarist also! He really gets into the music and is one with his guitar. I know Bono wanted the low profile to allow his dear friend to promote Music Rising, albeit while he could also be on hand to support the worthy cause. It is going to be a VERY memorable JazzFest in JazzFest history!

I can't tell you how much people appreciated Edge being there. It was so great to see his photo on the front page of Sunday's paper and to know what he's done with Music Rising is paying off -- in such joyous and visible ways.

As far as Edge being a great jazz guitarist -- he's a musician, first and foremost. And down in New Orleans nobody divides anything between rock and jazz and funk and traditional and Zydeco -- it's just music. If you've got the chops, as my piano pals say, we'll let you sit in.

Amen, Silver.

though I have to admit....some U2 songs adapt better to..um...a NOLA sound than "Vertigo"...the song was thrilling but a bit hilarious....I mean, I'm sure Edge has heard some interesting covers of U2 songs but a jazzy "Vertigo"...!:wink: The lyrics fit perfectly, though....

That said, I echo everyone else's sentiments. Way to go, Edge! And NOLA!

Back
Top Bottom