(04-23-2006) 'It Took Balls for Kanye to Support U2' -- Q*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
"It Took Balls for Kanye to Support U2"

Ed. Note: In the April issue of Q Bono pays tribute to the man who's rumored to be playing with U2 in Australia later this year--Kanye West.

A tribute to the "multitasking" Mr. West. By Bono.

Kanye West arrives in a tradition somewhere between Chuck D's righteous anger and [Dr.] Dre's Hammer Horror sassiness. He has some rage, swagger and poetry in him ... plus the boy's a natty dresser. He's fun, but he's serious fun. He's one to watch, I'd say, and I don't just mean as a pop star but as a man.

I wouldn't want to weigh him down with any baggage--he makes and breaks rhyme, that's enough--but we need people like him in the fight for equal opportunities on the African continent. He has a certain dignity, plus he's African-American ... which could give him a lot more authority than I have, giving out to the United States Congress.

Though Public Enemy and the Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy have played with us in the past, it took a lot of balls for Kanye to come on tour with U2. He chose the least cosmopolitan places in America. Most of our crowd looked Irish. Very white, pink even. He didn't have to play "special guest to U2." He's the biggest star in America right now. But he won't be put in any box. He has to keep moving. He told me he wanted to figure out how to put on big live shows. Historically, hip hop has not been so successful in the live arena.

Kanye is a master and student, art student actually ... he likes to draw, likes design, likes directing his own videos. He's a multitasker--I can relate to that, too.

--Q

Jeez...that's not really the most eloquent of Bono's writings. :confused: He usually writes much better things than that, especially when he's speaking well of other people.

It's funny to me how Kanye is perceived by the mainstream media as being a legendary rapper simply because he chooses to stay away from the gangster image.

As a hip hop fan, it's common knowledge in the hip hop community that Kanye is mediocre at BEST.

He's legendary as a producer. But a poor rapper.

Bono seems to have a lot of respect for hip hop right now..

Hmm..

Anyone else thinking what I'm thinking could possibly happen?

U2 has respect for a lot of music out there....much more then I can say for the majority of their fanbase actually. But thats what makes U2 who they are listening to whats going on around them rather then closing their ears to it.

Edge would break his explorer in Bono's head first , or Larry would beat the hell out of him , making him to come back to his senses

Yahweh said:
U2 has respect for a lot of music out there....much more then I can say for the majority of their fanbase actually. But thats what makes U2 who they are listening to whats going on around them rather then closing their ears to it.

One can have respect without liking the music.

Something tells me that maybe he was quoted? IE, not his writing, but something that came out of his mouth extemporaneously? IF so, looks completely in character IMO. Platitudes that seem over the top to some, slightly awkward grammar, cryptic comments...yep, thats Bono.

:wink:

Oh, and yes Bono enjoys hip-hop/rap music, give it up already people. Its more than just a respect for the art form as a valid type of music, he actually listens to it. Anyone who doubts that at least 3 out of 4 of the members of U2 (and I would put money on 4 out of 4 of them, given the beats and loops in U2's music) listen to and LIKE it, need to give their heads a shake.

The John Tree said:
It's funny to me how Kanye is perceived by the mainstream media as being a legendary rapper simply because he chooses to stay away from the gangster image.

As a hip hop fan, it's common knowledge in the hip hop community that Kanye is mediocre at BEST.

He's legendary as a producer. But a poor rapper.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom