(04-13-2006) Products Turn Red To Augment AIDS Fund - Wall Street Journal*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Products Turn Red To Augment AIDS Fund

By STEVE STECKLOW

When United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan called in 2001 for a new global fund to fight the AIDS pandemic, he described it as a public-private partnership with both governments and corporations pitching in.

It hasn't worked out that way. Since 2001, the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, an independent Swiss-based, nonprofit foundation that is supporting disease prevention and treatment programs in 131 countries, has raised more than $4.8 billion from governments, including $1.5 billion from the U.S. Other money has come from nonprofit sources, including $150 million from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. But less than $2 million has come from corporations, and none of that has come from American companies, according to the fund's financial records. By contrast, companies in the U.S. gave $425 million in cash to Southeast Asia tsunami relief, according to the Business Civic Leadership Center in Washington.

This isn't to say that U.S. companies ignore AIDS. Some have given to AIDS relief efforts outside the global fund -- more than $69 million in 2003, the latest year tracked by Funders Concerned About AIDS.

At the global AIDS fund, Executive Director Richard Feachem says the fund "is not an easy sell" to companies' philanthropic programs because it looks for large sums of money over a long period of time -- unlike emergency-relief efforts. The fund also doesn't allow private donors to direct how the money is spent, which doesn't jibe with a lot of corporate-giving programs, fund officials say. The fund's generally low profile is another problem.

Help may be at hand in the form of Project Red, an effort conceived by U2 rock star Bono and the Kennedy clan's Bobby Shriver, who have worked together on African poverty issues. Announced in January, the project is centered on enlisting companies to create special "red" products, a portion of whose profits -- about 40% to 50% -- is given to the global AIDS fund for its work in Africa. "We're trying to make it really easy for people to help," Bono says, referring to consumers.

The first Project Red products were introduced in Britain last month. So far, four companies have signed on, led by American Express Co., which is offering a red-colored credit card that says on the back, "This card is designed to help eliminate AIDS in Africa." At least 1% of the cardholder's spending goes to the fund. The other participants are Gap Inc., which launched a line of T-shirts; Nike Inc., which is selling a special Converse sneaker; and Giorgio Armani SpA, which is marketing sunglasses popularized by Bono. Actress Scarlett Johansson contributed a photo shoot to publicize the initiative.

Bono says the project sprang from a conversation he had with Robert Rubin about the general lack of AIDS awareness in which the former U.S. treasury secretary said, "You need to market this like Nike." Bono says, "It sowed the seeds in my mind about how to go about this."

The project was launched in Britain with the knowledge that consumers there have a history of buying "ethical" products like Fair Trade coffee, which promises to pay peasant growers more than the market rate. Only Armani, which says it plans to sell a whole line of red products, has expanded the project to the U.S. and other countries, although a Gap spokesman says an expanded line of red products will be available in North America this fall.

Officials at American Express, Gap and Armani say it is too soon to judge the project's success, but by some indications, there is a long way to go, at least in the U.K.

Stephan Shakespeare, chief executive of YouGov, a British market-research company, says, "When we look at the impact of Project Red on these so-called superbrands ... the scores are as flat as a pancake and the British public hasn't reacted in the manner that these companies, at least in private, would have hoped for." He suggests a recent spate of other ethical-issue affinity products in the U.K. may have resulted in "consumer apathy towards Project Red, which even Bono can't overcome."

Although publicity for the fund was widespread at its launch, Dr. Feachem says it has since waned. "Most people have never heard of us," he says. Joelle Tanguy, managing director of the Global Business Coalition on HIV/AIDS in New York, says AIDS "will never have the power of the images of the tsunami."

Stephen Lewis, Mr. Annan's special U.N. envoy for AIDS in Africa, says, "The companies are going to benefit a hell of a lot more from Bono's name than the global fund is going to benefit from the companies." Replies Bono, "We don't know that yet. If we fail, that's true."

Mr. Lewis suggests that companies give 0.7% of their after-tax profits to the fund. But Ms. Tanguy of the HIV/AIDS business coalition says, "It's not going to happen," in part because shareholders likely wouldn't agree.

Meanwhile, Bono, Mr. Shriver and fund officials remain optimistic about their approach. Mr. Shriver says it will take 18 months to judge the effectiveness of Project Red, and he notes that the four companies signed five-year contracts. He says it took nearly two years to enlist participants; some companies suggested sponsoring a musical recording involving Bono.

Apple Computer Inc. and Time Warner Inc.'s AOL unit declined to participate, at least at first, according to people familiar with the situation. Spokespeople at Apple and AOL declined to discuss the matter. Project Red officials are hoping soon to announce a major cellular-phone service deal.

Mr. Shriver says all of the companies they approached were "a bit stunned" when they first heard the pitch: "We want you to make money." Although he suspects some companies worried about being accused of AIDS "profiteering," he says he believes it's the best solution to get companies to contribute over the long term. "No private-sector company whose job is to make profits is going to on a sustainable basis give away money," he says.

The fund's Dr. Feachem, who eventually wants to raise about $300 million annually from the private sector, makes no financial projections about Project Red, but says, "The potential ... is very large." And Bono is hopeful the companies' marketing skills will generate more awareness about "the AIDS emergency" in Africa, which is the continent's leading cause of death. "These people are great about getting people's attention," he says.

http://online.wsj.com/public/articl...srcQyAJhlw_20060512.html?mod=tff_main_tff_top

I read recently Apple was suppose to launch a Red iPod, but I guess that's not going to happen. Seems odd that Apple wouldn't jump in on this. or maybe they're waiting to see if it takes off in the US :shrug:

And while all the corporations sit back and watch what happens with Product RED, the people in Africa still die needlessly.

So much for corporate social consciousness. :eyebrow:

For the sake of the African people and for Bono's tireless devotion to them, I really hope that Product RED takes off!

:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

They need to get Coca-Cola on board, not only because it's such a red (literally) company already, but Coke does so much for people all over the world. Not only that, but it's one of the very, very few brands that has mindshare worldwide. And I don't mean FIRST World-wide. When I was in East Africa, Coke was everywhere! When visiting the poorest of the poor, they offer you Cokes. I think it would b really cool to have them on board, even if they don't donate as much as other companies or people like Bill Gates. Unlike iPods, credit cards, cell phones, and fashion clothes, Coke is consuming in every corner of the world on a daily basis.

^LivLuv, that is an EXCELLENT idea! Coke is a popular drink worldwide and the whole meaning of this campaign is awareness--what better way then using the world wide products with which to do this! I can't wait for a pair of the red Converse! Wish I could get an American Express :( I will support this as much as I can just like all the other campaigns. This is one of the best awareness programs since the yellow Livestrong wristband idea! Something universal.....great marketing!

Bono's organization HAS been in talks with Coca-Cola for years to do more to fight AIDS in Africa - with very limited success.

You can't make a corporation do more if they don't want to do more. :(

Were corporate gifts to the tsunami fund raised by creating new products, or did most of these companies just make their donations out of existing funds? I find it hard to believe a "tsumani T-shirt" or "tsunami sneaker" would've raised much money; I'd imagine most folks would wrinkle their noses at that and just give directly to a charity instead, if they were inclined to give at all. Perhaps if they simply attached the "Red" label to already existing products with proven strong sales histories, rather than relying on a charity marketing angle in and of itself...I suppose most companies would be unwilling to commit to that, though.
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Coke does so much for people all over the world.
They do? Like what sorts of things? Outside Europe and the US I'm really only familiar with their dealings in India, where they're about as beloved as Enron, and have more than 50 federal lawsuits going against them for pilfering local groundwater supplies, indiscriminately discharging toxic plant waste into local fields or selling it to illiterate farmers as "fertilizer," and repeatedly failing to comply with India's already lax laws regarding acceptable levels of toxic contaminants in bottled beverages. Even the Indian Parliament has banned the sale of Coke products in their foodservice areas.

I'm sure there are thousands of companies/organizations world-wide that are more giving than Coca-cola, but they've invested over 500 million dollars in Africa. Sure, it's out of their best interests too, but isn't this what Africa REALLY needs? More investment in their economy, rather than short term aid where people just give money that is rarely effectively distributed? When we were in Tanzania my prof talked about how Coke had funded many community projects overseen by the Catholic Relief Services. There, they are highly respected and appreciated, maybe not by government officials, etc, but by the actual people that are dealing with issues of poverty and disease every day. Coke's Foundation in Africa focuses on community citizenship, health issues, infrastructure, etc, rather than donating money. Like I said before, they're no where near the top as far as the best examples of communities concerned with social justice, but at least they're doing something. I think it would be worthwhile to pressure them to do more, given that their products are already consumed by the third world. Coke has better distribution channels than most aid orgs, IMO.

I can't comment on the situation in India as I know next to nothing about that country in terms of their development and economics.

Back
Top Bottom