(04-11-2007) The Edge to Get Honorary Degree from Berklee - Yahoo!*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Music stars to get honorary degrees

Latin pop star Gloria Estefan and U2 guitarist The Edge will receive honorary doctorates from the Berklee College of Music, in Boston, US, at its graduation ceremony next month.

The music school also will present honorary degrees to Estefan's husband, Emilio, and Chicago jazz pianist and composer Andrew Hill.

Berklee spokesman Allen Bush said the musicians were chosen for honorary doctorates based on their achievements in music and contributions to American and international culture.

Gloria Estefan, who has sold 70 million albums worldwide and won fame as the leader of the Miami Sound Machine in the 1980s, will deliver her commencement speech to 850 graduates on May 12 in the 7,000-seat Agganis Arena.

Past recipients of honorary doctorates from Berklee include Duke Ellington, Dizzy Gillespie, Aretha Franklin, David Bowie and Bonnie Raitt.

http://uk.news.launch.yahoo.com/dyn...music-stars-honorary-degrees.html&e=l_news_dm

I don't get this. While students slog their arses at school to get degrees, these celebs (okay, musicians) get one without even reading a book? :huh:

Zootlesque said:
I don't get this. While students slog their arses at school to get degrees, these celebs (okay, musicians) get one without even reading a book? :huh:
Hence it being called HONORARY, dear Zootles :yes:

I wish Edge were getting his honorary doctorate when I get mine next month. It would make graduation a lot more exciting, and after the ceremony he could sign my dissertation :wink:

Zootlesque said:

Doesn't make it even half as valuable as a hard working student's degree.
I don't think anyone's confused about the difference in effort. One came from hard work, the other from a bestowed honor.

Berklee is a really prestigous school, the Harvard for serious musicans. I knew someone who graduated from there. It's a great honor for Edge who has certainly earned his degree in the "real world" of music.

I second that. Berklee is a well-known school, on a par with the New England Conservatory of Music or the Peabody Institute in Baltimore. This is a real honor and Edge deserves it not only for his musical talent but for his contribution to helping the people of New Orleans and his other charitable endeavors.

I don't think anyone in the academic world would equate an honorary degree with an earned degree. Everyone knows how hard students work, and how breathtakingly expensive it has become to go to school.

But it doesn't bother me a bit to see people of note get honorary degrees. It's a treat for the audience at graduation, it brings some attention to the school and it's meaningful to the people who receive them.

will he wear his knitted cap under his mortarboard or just the mortarboard?

(it would probably stay on more easily if he bobbypins it to the cap. I remember mine slipping back on my head when I graduated.)

Back
Top Bottom