(04-06-2005) Brad Pitt, Bono Among Celebs on New PSA - AP*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050406/capt.carm10304062140.celeb_poverty_campaign_carm103.jpg[/SIMG]
Brad Pitt, Bono Among Celebs on New PSA

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. - Brad Pitt is among the A-list celebrities featured in new public service announcements for a campaign led by U2 singer Bono to fight poverty and AIDS.

The campaign was not immediately asking for donations but simply raising awareness and recruiting new advocates, Bono said Wednesday at an event announcing the public service announcements

"We're not just asking for people to put cash in the pot here," Bono said. "Americans are generous, we know they'll do that. We're not actually asking for their money, we're asking for their voice."

Pitt, who visited Africa after being inspired by Bono's advocacy, said he was struck by how extreme poverty there has made it difficult for the sick to gain access to drugs to minimize the effects of AIDS.

"I've seen it, I've been there, and to walk away from it and turn my back makes me culpable," Pitt said. "And I can't do that."

"Do we really believe in our hearts that we're all equal? And if we believe this, what are we going to do about it?" he said.

capt.carm10304062140.celeb_poverty_campaign_carm103.jpg

(AP Photo/Rene Macura)

Pitt said he believed deeply in Bono's effort, titled "ONE: The Campaign to Make Poverty History."

"We can do this. We can do this," he said of eliminating poverty. "It's ambitious, but we can do it."

Pitt, who stars with Angelina Jolie in the upcoming "Mr. & Mrs. Smith," said he was returning to Africa in several weeks but was unsure what else he would do for the campaign.

"This is just a beginning for me," he said.

Bono, who has been nominated for this year's Nobel Peace Prize, said it was "wholly unacceptable" for children to die for lack of cheap immunizations.

"I'm going to spend the rest of my life on this, I'm going to make that kind of extreme poverty history," Bono told reporters.

"I'm in," Pitt responded.

Bono and Pitt were joined by Jack Valenti, the former top lobbyist for the film industry, and actor Djimon Hounsou, a native of Benin.

A 60-second ad to air Sunday night on various networks and cable channels features actors, musicians and religious leaders. Among them are Jewel, Penelope Cruz, Tom Hanks and Mos Def.

Also featured are Al Pacino, Jamie Foxx, and Hounsou as well as evangelist Pat Robertson and the Rev. Frank Griswold, presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church in the United States.

Completing each other's sentences, each appear in black-and-white, peering into the camera and saying a few words.

___

On the Net:

The ONE Campaign: http://www.one.org

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050407/ap_en_ce/people_bono_pitt_6

There was a soundbyte of Bono on Radio 1 Entertainment News this morning from the press conference.

I didn't record it as I was in bed! :tongue: :D

I am happy bono has found someone to take up some of the AIDS activism for him. It will be good because I think multiple celebs can reach a wider audience than just bono alone

I'm not a big brad pitt fan, but what he's doing is great

I don't think in the 80's he ever wore a shirt THAT bad. The closest thing was the plaid pants from '81 (yes, the pic exists in the U2 Show book. PLAID PANTS!! IN THE EARLY 80's!!! YES, chillun, it happened!)

Ummm..here ..Bono....I have to say,

WHAT was Ali drinking last night? She woke up this morning and dressed you in that...you couldn't have chosen that yourself. Correction: you were BOTH drunk.

I hope Eve gave him hell over that shirt when he got home. She seems to have a sensible head on her shoulders, and she's only 13. She hasn't been afraid to do it before!

Hi!

Quote:
"Pitt, who visited Africa after being inspired by Bono's advocacy, said he was struck by how extreme poverty there has made it difficult for the sick to gain access to drugs to minimize the effects of AIDS. "

---------

Somehow I picked that wave up the other day.

The shirt is okay, I guess.

carol
wizard2c

:|

im happy that brad pitt is also involved. we need more celebs in on this.

although im surprised at bono's clothing.

the red jacket reminds me of michael jackson *runs*

Hey, at least he got a haircut! Now he doesn't look like a pom-pom anymore.

And he's actually not wearing black for once! :ohmy:

Rachel D. said:
Hey, at least he got a haircut! Now he doesn't look like a pom-pom anymore.

And he's actually not wearing black for once! :ohmy:

Hi!

I thought his hair looked a little shorter...he looks a little tired though....
:yawn:

carol
wizard2c
:|

I've been seeing this on VH1 news this morning. Watching to see where Sometimes... is on the top 20 videos. (#10 :up: from #14)

The short clip I saw really gets the message across.
It's an awesome PSA. and terribly sad. :sad:

Last edited:
B, lose the shirt. And stop standing next to tall people.

If anyone has a picture of Bono and Nicole Kidman, please post it, for the sheer height discrepency. There's one of him with Adrien Brody somewhere... :tall:

Worst. Shirt. Ever.

Bono is mega-small. It's not that standing next to Brad Pitt makes him look short, it's that he is soooo short that the fact that Pitt is only that much taller then him means Pitt is pretty damn short as well....

Back
Top Bottom