(04-03-2005) Bono Honours the Pope -- NME*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Bono Honors the Pope

BONO paid tribute to POPE JOHN PAUL II during U2’s show in ANAHEIM, CALIFORNIA last night (April 2).

Five songs into the Dublin band’s sold out concert at the Anaheim Pond the singer began speaking about the head of the Catholic Church, who passed away Saturday evening at the age of 84.

“I met the Holy Father and I was so taken by this showman, even if I didn’t agree with everything he said,” the singer, whose father was Roman Catholic, said to the crowd as the band began playing the intro to new song ‘Miracle Drug’.

Bono carried on speaking about a time six years ago, when he met the church head and gave the Pope his trademark sunglasses.

“I said ‘Holy father, do you want a pair of fly shades?’ and he said ‘yes’ and he put them on and he made a face kind of like this.”

After scrunching his face to resemble Pope John Paul II, Bono showed the crowd he still carries with him a token of their meeting.

“He reached out and gave me this sort of crooked cross. It was designed by Michelangelo. They’re my rosaries and I wear them around my neck, and I take them off and put them in my pocket during a rock show, you understand [why].”

The band then launched into the full version of ‘Miracle Drug’ which Bono dedicated to “anyone who is sick.” Before the U2’s next song, recent single ‘Sometimes You Can’t Make it On Your Own’, Bono called out the name of the Pope – “John Paul” to the crowd and described him as “an Italian who knew the right person to get into heaven.”

U2 played to the packed house for two hours including ‘Mysterious Ways’, ‘The Fly’ and ‘Electric Company’, which he said the band had not played for years. On the final song of the night, ‘40’, Bono took out the rosary given to him by the Pope and hung it on his microphone stand.

U2’s ’Vertigo’ tour continues in Los Angeles on Tuesday (April 5).

--NME

pope

the pope was Polish not Italian----not sure in what context bono was speaking in when he said that comment , but if he called the pope italian, he wasn't. oops!

It would be nice if someone from that concert could either verify those words or deny them.

Still, a lovely tribute from one whose Heart is full of Love and Forgiveness for another one whose heart was full of Love and Forgiveness.

:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

"WHAT A MISTAKE!" - Bono YOU should have known that Pope was a Pole! I hope you do the justice in Chorzow on July the 5th!
The whole Poland mourns, but we are united as never before.

Imagine the impact of Popes Death... even MTV Poland stopped it's broadcast for 2 days....

Today they started again but show only appropriote music videos.... my girlfriend reports she just seen Buffalo +band faces! video for ONE!!! shame she did not recorded it.

Found this pic on the net
popeshades.jpg

Back
Top Bottom