(04-02-2006) U2 Music Draws Churchgoers to Special Services -- AP*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
U2 Music Draws Churchgoers to Special Services

PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island -- At some Episcopal Church services, hymns are out and U2 is in.

The Irish rock band's songs blared from speakers at recent a "U2 Eucharist" service in Providence, Rhode Island, where 130 worshipers were offered fluorescent glow sticks and earplugs.

In Episcopal parishes from California to Maine, believers are weaving U2's biblically laced music into the denomination's traditional liturgy.

The Reverend Robert Brooks said the Rhode Island service was meant to attract young people and those interested in social activism. It included an offering for local charities and for The ONE Campaign, an AIDS relief and anti-poverty effort that's backed by U2's lead singer, Bono.

In February, Bono spoke at the National Prayer Breakfast in Washington, which was attended by President Bush and members of Congress.

--Associated Press

Scotsman.com has more about the U2 Eucharist here.

Last edited:
I've always been slightly confused by the fact that churches don't all play "When Love Comes To Town" during Easter service.

I went to a U2charist at Grace Cathedral and worked for the ONE campain last fall in San Francisco. It was very invigorating. The best thing was that most of the music was being performed by these awesome high school kids.

I bet the sound was great there. My cousin who performs opera, performed at Grace Cathedral in the mid 80's and the sound was AMAZING! I can only imagine what U2 would sound like in there!

:wave: Hi Hotpepper!

Hi Karen!

The acoustics were really good. The U2charist that I went to was the day before the November Oakland shows so of course I was expecting Bono to show up and belt out a couple of songs :wink:

That would have been SO cool if Bono had shown up! We were planning (and still may once we re schedule the trip) to go to a Church in Honolulu where a pastor Bono has shared panels of discussion with on AIDS, DATA, One etc. preaches. We wondered if there might be a Bono sighting at this church! The Hewson family has been spotted at various churches around the world so it wouldn't surprise me to run into them!

Back
Top Bottom