(04-02-2006) Bono says feels "exploited" by Berlusconi mag - Reuters UK*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bono says feels "exploited" by Berlusconi mag

ROME (Reuters) - Irish rocker and charity champion Bono has written to Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi to complain about how his picture was used in a magazine listing the government's achievements ahead of elections next week.

"Mr Berlusconi, as flattered as I can be of appearing in your brochure, I also feel a bit exploited," Bono said in the letter, a copy of which was printed on the front page of the Corriere della Sera daily on Sunday.

The glossy, 161-page magazine was published by Berlusconi's Forza Italia (Go Italy!) party and has been sent to millions of Italian households ahead of the April 9-10 ballot.

It is full of photos of an ever-smiling prime minister addressing crowds and conversing with world leaders.

At one point it features a picture of Bono, who has spearheaded a campaign to persuade the leaders of the Group of Eight richest nations to double aid to Africa.

The caption reads: "The Irish star is grateful to the prime minister for the actions promoted by the Italian government towards poor countries".

In his letter, Bono said he recalled a conversation with Berlusconi during which the prime minister pledged to fulfil the promises made by the G8 in Gleneagles, Scotland, last year in a statement signed by Berlusconi along with the other leaders.

He said Italy would have to more than double its handouts by 2010 to honour its commitment.

"If your commitment is real and your signature is trustworthy, then the world wants to know how Italy intends to reach this target," Bono said in the letter, translated into Italian by Corriere.

Italy gives the smallest amount of aid contributions in real terms within the G8, and despite pledges to boost the handouts, they have actually dropped over the past few years.

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/new...740810_RTRUKOC_0_UK-ITALY-BONO-BERLUSCONI.xml

Berlusconi is a dangerous "extreme right" wing guy and I don't think Bono has any affinity, nor admiration for such a f....

I would be pissed of to appear in the Berlusconi ads for the new elections...... so is Bono!

i applaud bono for the letter he wrote.. he's doing a magnificent work for the world's poor.. and it's very rude to take advantage of his image to gain voters.

julianamendoza said:
i applaud bono for the letter he wrote.. he's doing a magnificent work for the world's poor.. and it's very rude to take advantage of his image to gain voters.

I agree completely, julianamendoza.

It's really good to see Bono willing to stand up to politicians when they think that they can have those photo ops with him and make big promises to help the world's poorest people and then turn around and try to fudge out of those commitments. :tsk:

I love Bono's self-respect and audacity not to be treated by these dodgy politicians as a stepping stone to their credibility.

Kudos to Bono! :wink:

:applaud: I was thrilled to read this article, I actually spotted it in my Yahoo News, but good for Bono for writing something and standing up, speaking out. What a pompous idiot Berlusconi and his people are for thinking they could get away with using the likeness of Bono in ads appealing for his election and to buy votes.

Carek1230 said:
:applaud: I was thrilled to read this article, I actually spotted it in my Yahoo News, but good for Bono for writing something and standing up, speaking out. What a pompous idiot Berlusconi and his people are for thinking they could get away with using the likeness of Bono in ads appealing for his election and to buy votes.

yes. and the greatest tragedy is that he's probably gonna win another election next week.

And I cannot stand to see my country to be governed like that...

Ahh see there's a true Irishman right there;

Berlusconi - Ah Mr Bono do you mind if I use your reputation as a means to my own political end

Bono: WILL YOU f--K!

::up:

Back
Top Bottom