(03-26-2007) U2's The Edge donates guitar to auction - SPI*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2's The Edge donates guitar to auction

By SANDY COHEN

LOS ANGELES -- The Edge is donating his favorite instrument to an auction benefiting Music Rising, a charity the U2 guitarist co-founded to replace musical equipment lost or destroyed by Hurricane Katrina.

He's logged thousands of hours of stage and studio time on the 1975 Gibson Les Paul. The 45-year-old musician has used the guitar throughout his years with U2.

"I wanted to give something really significant that would really mean a lot for me to give. It deserved something that I would miss," The Edge told The Associated Press by phone from France.

The Icons of Music auction, administered by Julien's Auctions, features 196 rock-related items, including a saxophone signed by former President Clinton, a guitar that belonged to Jimi Hendrix and an original Elvis Presley recording contract.

An exhibit of auction highlights will travel from Los Angeles to Dublin, Ireland, and London before the sale ends April 21 with an event at Manhattan's Hard Rock Cafe. Fans may bid online or in person.

The Edge's guitar was expected to fetch between $60,000 to $80,000, according to the auction Web site.

Bandmates Adam Clayton donated a bass guitar, Larry Mullen gave a pair of tom-tom drums and Bono donated a pair of Emporio Armani sunglasses.

"It's some great poetry to ask the people like myself, who've earned a good living from rock 'n' roll, to donate items to an auction that would help protect and stave off the decline of the music culture in the Gulf Coast," he said.

New Orleans is the soul of American music, so the Irish rocker said he felt compelled to help after hurricanes Katrina and Rita. He created Music Rising in 2005 with record producer Bob Ezrin and Gibson chairman Henry Juszkiewicz.

"One of the good things about globalization is it has created a single international music community, and I feel very much part of it," he said. "So this doesn't seem like it's someone else's problem. It's really our problem, too."

The Edge, whose real name is David Evans, first discovered the area's rich musical culture as a young member of U2. He was intoxicated by the city's jazz funerals, where scores of musicians parade down the street in colorful costumes covered with flowers and feathers.

"Jazz came out of New Orleans, and that was the forerunner of everything," he said. "You mix jazz with European rhythms, and that's rock 'n' roll really. You can make the argument that it all started on the streets of New Orleans with the jazz funerals."

---

On the Net:

Julien's Auctions:

http://juliensauctions.com/

Music Rising:

http://musicrising.org/

U2:

http://www.u2.com/

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/pop/1403AP_People_The_Edge.html

Tribute bonos and edges everywhere are going beserk.

Be interesting to see if any of them bid.

Personally I think Edge's Les Paul ranks as the number one item in that auction. NO OTHER item is as important to U2 history as that, hands down.

:sad: Edge I'm so glad you are doing this, but SO sad at the same time.

PLEASE, some rich person just buy the damn thing and give it back to Edge. I can't imagine that he's giving away the third guitar he ever owned, the holy grail of New Years Day.

:sad:

Last edited:
WOW!!!! edge's is giving his beloved cream les paul, God i wish i was wealthy enough to pay around 80 thousand for it, he's got 2 of these anyway, he'll stay with the back-up one, the one with the number 2 sticker on the back of the neck, near the tuner

Bono's Gretsch is also in the auction, and it has a higher estimate than Edge's Les Paul :tsk:.

I know, that's insane, there's no way it's worth more! :shrug:

Honestly, if I was filthy rich I'd buy it and ask him to give me a signed copy, and give it straight back to him. I wouldn't feel right owning that guitar!

Wouldn't it be a dream come true to own that guitar?

But I agree -- buying it and giving it back would be the way to go!

I'd probably keep the knitted cap, though. I sense he has a few of those.

What a fantastic way to raise money for MR. I love the lineup of stars who donated items, although I have no idea why anyone would want a Hugh Grant/Drew Barrymore signed guitar :)

why doesnt he just donate $80,000 and keep the guitar? brilliant!

whatcha doin, edge? i could never sell something like that because i wouldnt ever want anything to happen to it be it fall into the wrong hands.

195.0_mid.jpg

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=52935&item=250097596656

http://search.liveauctions.ebay.com...nt&fis=1&frts=150&getresult=&lc=1&sacti=21488

My jaw dropped when I read this. I was just speaking of that guitar the other day. Obviously, when Edge says he doesn't get sentimental about his guitars, he isn't kidding.
We're more so than he is. But look how he loves the music of New Orleans. This whole thing is very inspiring.

The guitar Bono is donating... I read it to be a one of a model Bono performs on...not the actual guitar Bono plays in concert. Am I reading that wrong?
It's estimated that it will bring in more than Edge's Les Paul!!!

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=52935&item=250097597021

Last edited:
So if this is the cream Les Paul #2 (see the back of the guitar), then he still has his #1 then right? And he's giving away the 'back up'..? I really couldn't imagine him giving his primary Les Paul away.

gabrielvox said:
PLEASE, some rich person just buy the damn thing and give it back to Edge. I can't imagine that he's giving away the third guitar he ever owned, the holy grail of New Years Day.

:sad:

Good idea. Fans should collect money and buy it back for him. I'm in ... Money would be given away to the charity anyway.

Jim said:
So if this is the cream Les Paul #2 (see the back of the guitar), then he still has his #1 then right? And he's giving away the 'back up'..? I really couldn't imagine him giving his primary Les Paul away.

1975 Cream Gibson Les Paul Custom, or so I'm told by Dallas Schoo who checked the serial number. I bought this guitar down on 49th street in New York city in 1982.. It was the third guitar I ever bought, after my Explorer and my black Strat. I wanted that Steve Jones "Never mind the bollox" sound, so I got the same guitar right down to the colour. I never could get that sound, but I found a bunch of songs in this instrument, and have used it extensively ever since, on tour and in the studio. There are many of photographs out there of me playing this Les Paul. One I happened to notice is in our recent book "U2 by U2" on page 224. I'm in the control room of the original windmill lane studio with Brian Eno, probably adding the final touch to a song from the "Achtung Baby" record, which we mixed there. I will miss this one, not for sentimental reasons but because it's my New Years Day guitar. Dallas is going to have to get me one that sounds as good, I'm sure I never will quite get the same sound, but maybe there might be a few songs in the replacement. Edge Dublin 2007

Call me naive, but I don't think Edge would lie there.

Wow, Edge is really making sacrifices for his charity.
They all are, the band is donating lots of things, but Edge's donations are probably the ones with the highest "sentimental" value.

he does have a back-up for this guitar vincent, ive seen dallas on various soundchecks playing a cream les paul with a numerb 2 sticker on the back of the neck, near the tuners, and from what ive heard hes got 2 of those, hes also got the gold top, and the dark brown one he used in the i will follow video, ohh and the mirror ball les paul too! anyways, edge has a lot of back ups, the line 6 guitars he has, both of 'em have back ups, tuned differently...

rudybay said:
he does have a back-up for this guitar vincent, ive seen dallas on various soundchecks playing a cream les paul with a numerb 2 sticker on the back of the neck, near the tuners, and from what ive heard hes got 2 of those, hes also got the gold top, and the dark brown one he used in the i will follow video, ohh and the mirror ball les paul too! anyways, edge has a lot of back ups, the line 6 guitars he has, both of 'em have back ups, tuned differently...

That's not what I meant.
I know he has two, thus he has stickers with 1 and 2 on them.

But he isn't giving away the backup one as suggested by Jim (if I didn't get him wrong) but the original one.

I read about this this morning in the paper (which had an adorable picture of Edge from the RR Hall of Fame). What a dear... yea if I had the money I'd buy it.. maybe play a chord or two and hand it right back to Mr.Edge. It'd sound alot better when he was playing it ;)

:yes: wow...new years' day's guitar! Yeah...seems all their hearts are in on this!! that sounds like a good idea....buy it..then give it back to Edge!!! :up:

but correct me if i'm wrong, but the pups on the back up one are not exactly the same, which means, he'll definitely won't have the same sound with the original cream les paul

i think they're p94's or p90's

forbonou2 said:
:yes: wow...new years' day's guitar! Yeah...seems all their hearts are in on this!! that sounds like a good idea....buy it..then give it back to Edge!!! :up:

could you imagine if we pulled that off. What publicity for MR that would be. Fans pull together and save their guitar hero's guitar from auction.

It is a nice thought.

I was going to go to the auction in a few weeks, but tickets are $1,000 :ohmy: I'm not sure if it's worth the cost of a bus ticket just to go down to see the items on display one of the days before the auction.

Back
Top Bottom