(03-26-2005) Showtime Minus Two Days -- U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Showtime Minus Two Days

It’s about creating that ‘magic’ explains Bono, as the band make final preparations for ‘Vertigo//2005’

‘What I think rock ‘n roll has always been about,’ explains Bono, taking a break from final rehearsals to talk to U2.Com. "Is that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.’

"It’s amazing to get to this point,’ adds Adam, but not without some anxiety: "Another tour, here we are doing it again."

And then, with a laugh, he says, "And every time it comes round we forget how we did it the last time!"

In fact, chimes Edge, this may not be the problem that it might appear to be.

"If you know what you are doing, you’re doing something wrong!," he suggests. "Rock’n roll cannot be easy - when the sound of rock n roll is easy it’s awful."

And preparing for a tour which is set to last nine months was never going to be easy ­ it has to be a challenge.

"There has to be an element of jeopardy and at this point we are pushing the envelope of jeopardy, we are very under-rehearsed, it’s a scramble to get it together.’

But everyone keeps in mind what is possible from a great rock’n’roll show, says Edge, recalling a Bruce Springsteen show from many years ago when he realised the "incredible cathartic experience that is possible in a rock n roll concert".

And that’s what we’re after when we play live, says Bono, that something will happen which is more than we can imagine.

"You don’t know why or how but something magic happens for the four of us and that is what we framed our whole band around.
"We call it magic, and we are strung out on that idea - that music can be transcendent, something that will take you out of yourself."

And with that the band have to get back to rehearsals.

We’ll have more interviews and behind the scenes stories on the tour countdown regularly.

Keep checking back.

--U2.com

dsmith2904 said:
Showtime Minus Two Days

It’s about creating that ‘magic’ explains Bono, as the band make final preparations for ‘Vertigo//2005’

‘What I think rock ‘n roll has always been about,’ explains Bono, taking a break from final rehearsals to talk to U2.Com. "Is that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.’

"It’s amazing to get to this point,’ adds Adam, but not without some anxiety: "Another tour, here we are doing it again."

And then, with a laugh, he says, "And every time it comes round we forget how we did it the last time!"

In fact, chimes Edge, this may not be the problem that it might appear to be.

"If you know what you are doing, you’re doing something wrong!," he suggests. "Rock’n roll cannot be easy - when the sound of rock n roll is easy it’s awful."

And preparing for a tour which is set to last nine months was never going to be easy ­ it has to be a challenge.

"There has to be an element of jeopardy and at this point we are pushing the envelope of jeopardy, we are very under-rehearsed, it’s a scramble to get it together.’

But everyone keeps in mind what is possible from a great rock’n’roll show, says Edge, recalling a Bruce Springsteen show from many years ago when he realised the "incredible cathartic experience that is possible in a rock n roll concert".

And that’s what we’re after when we play live, says Bono, that something will happen which is more than we can imagine.

"You don’t know why or how but something magic happens for the four of us and that is what we framed our whole band around.
"We call it magic, and we are strung out on that idea - that music can be transcendent, something that will take you out of yourself."

And with that the band have to get back to rehearsals.

We’ll have more interviews and behind the scenes stories on the tour countdown regularly.

Keep checking back.

--U2.com

Let's get it on, MOFOs!!! Can't wait 2 see ya! Freakin' GREATEST BAND EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DREAM OUT LOUD BOYS!!! THANKS LARRY!!!

Re: Re: (03-26-2005) Showtime Minus Two Days -- U2.com*

beli said:

I'm sure they will come to Australia, like Paul McGuiness said.
Interesting info from someone that was at the Saturday rehearsal show:

fyi, there were a handful of Brazilians at the show tonight and waiting for the band on Fri. night. One Brazilian girl got Bono to sign her cd and he wrote, "I love Brazil". She asked Bono if U2 were going to come to Brazil on this tour and he told her that if the band felt strong at the end of this year, they would try to extend the tour to South America.

jpjames said:
zoo tv and pop were bigger tours i think. Zoo tv went on for over a year

I don't think that just because the dates they have lined up right now last for nine months necessarily means that the tour will only last nine months. If they feel good at the end of 2005 you can bet they'll keep it rolling.

Joshua Tree was from April - December 1987, Lovetown was from September 89 - January 1990.
Zoo TV was from March 1992 - December 1993 (though with a big 5 month break between the last US stadium tour and the tour promoting Zooropa).
Popmart was from April 1997 - March 1998.
Elevation was from March - December 2001.

beli said:

Theres so much conflicting info. Even Principle Management have said there are no plans to tour Oz.

:shocked:
Really? I remember that "115 shows, Europe/N. America/Australia and Japan" talk from McGuiness in early 2004.

U2girl said:

:shocked:
Really? I remember that "115 shows, Europe/N. America/Australia and Japan" talk from McGuiness in early 2004.

Thats why we are all confused. Sometimes they say one thing, and then, like last week they said another.

I'm just hoping that they are so badly organised they dont know what they are saying but they mean they are actually going to tour the southern hemisphere next year.

Its all rather annoying though. Especially when I come on this board and hear people whining about the possibility of not being in the exact floor position that they want in GA in the 5 shows they are attending.

Back
Top Bottom