(03-22-2007) African Well Fund Announces 5th Annual Bono Birthday Fundraiser - AWF*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
African Well Fund Announces 5th Annual Bono Birthday Fundraiser

For the fifth straight year the African Well Fund is holding a fundraising drive to raise money in honor of Bono's birthday. All donations will be used to fund water projects in Sub-Saharan Africa.

Schenectady, NY (PRWEB) March 22, 2007 -- The African Well Fund is excited to announce the 5th Annual Build a Well for Bono's Birthday fundraising drive. The fundraiser aims to raise money in honor of Bono's May 10th birthday that will be used by AWF partner Africare to fund water projects in Sub-Saharan Africa. Donations for the drive will be collected from March 22nd to May 11th.

U2 fans and others inspired by Bono's tireless activism on behalf of Africa are invited to make a donation in his honor. Donations from the four previous fundraisers totaled more than $80,000 and were used to fund water projects in Angola, Uganda and Zimbabwe. Donations may be made by visiting www.africanwellfund.org/donate.html. As in previous years, contributors are invited to sign our online card and leave a birthday wish for Bono after donating. The messages, along with a "Well Share" certificate for the amount donated, will be delivered to Bono via Principle Management at the conclusion of the fundraiser.

Once again this year, the birthday fundraiser will be the beneficiary of a special eBay auction--U2 LIVE: Photo Auction for BBW5. Beginning April 14th, U2 fans will have the opportunity to bid on U2 concert photos donated by some very talented U2 fans. Last year's auction raised over $10,000. Visit www.africanwellfund.org for further details. The fundraiser will also be the beneficiary of another fan project, "The Little Red Book of Poe-ee-tree," a collection of poems and short stories written by U2 fans across the globe. All royalties from the book, available at http://stores.lulu.com/littleredbookofpoeeetree, will be donated to AWF.

Two AWF board members traveled to Uganda last September and visited wells that were built with donations from the first two Bono birthday fundraisers. There they saw firsthand the tremendous difference a clean water source can make in a community, even beyond the immediate health benefits. In one village they visited, the well enabled women there to initiate a fruit-drying project as a source of income. They were also able to see the tremendous need that still exists. Your gift will help to change the lives of so many more who are still in need.

The African Well Fund is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization that was founded in 2002 by a group of U2 fans. Since that time, AWF has raised more than $250,000, which has been used to fund more than 80 clean water projects in sub-Saharan Africa. All donations to the African Well Fund go directly to Africare, one of the leading private, non-profit, charitable organizations assisting Africa. The African Well Fund was founded to focus on one achievable goal: providing access to clean water to everyone in Africa. The African Well Fund believes that access to water is not merely a basic human need but a basic human right.

###

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2007/3/prweb513147.htm

Last year I won a really pretty black and white picture of Edge from one of the shows I attended. It was more than I would've spent to buy it usually, but this is a very worthy cause.

I really like that they're selling a book this year, too. I'm not sure if I can afford to take part in the auction this year, but I can definitely afford less than $12 for a book. Hopefully a lot of people will buy it.

I will be supporting this year's "Build a Well for Bono's Birthday" just as I have done since its beginning.

I also think the idea of a special MySpace for this endeavor was GREAT !

:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

BonoIsMyMuse said:
Last year I won a really pretty black and white picture of Edge from one of the shows I attended. It was more than I would've spent to buy it usually, but this is a very worthy cause.

I really like that they're selling a book this year, too. I'm not sure if I can afford to take part in the auction this year, but I can definitely afford less than $12 for a book. Hopefully a lot of people will buy it.

hopefully they will

don't forget straight on donations are always welcome too :)

Holy smoke! You folks aren't based in Schenectady or is that just where an events taking place? I'm only about 10 miles away, in Guilderland.....did any of you attend the "Step It Up" global warming evetns in either Albany or Schenectady on Saturday (or did anyone else go to one anywhere in the country?) I marche din the Albany one, very nice turnout too. Unfortunately Monday's sad news has drowned out everything....

our treasurer, Diane is based in the Schnectady area. She is dianey40 on here I think. She doesn't post much though.

I just wanted to bump this thread to let you all know a couple of things!

First of all, the fundraiser has less than two weeks to go before the end. So, if you haven't made a donation yet and are considering it, now is the time!

Secondly, there is an ebay scammer out there that has contacted a couple of people that either won or bid on auctions. :scream: This person is trying to identify him/herself with our ebay ID, the africanwellfund in his signature but his actual ebay ID is muchb
I got one myself in my email inbox and questioned it. Sure enough, it was a fake and a scam. If you made a bid, please be on the lookout.

Lastly, there have been a couple of issues with the condition of a few photos upon arrival to the winners. We are addressing that as well. Please see my full post in PLEBA responding to that issue if it concerns you.

Thank you

Bono-Well-2007.html

Last edited:
I have my shirt on today (pink!) and am celebrating not only the birthday of someone so inspirational to me, but also the compassion and charity of the wonderful people on this board. :heart:

Can't wait to hear how much we raised this year! :applaud:

Back
Top Bottom